how do you vtec your car while driving

bosoxfan1

ok so im new to honda (coming from nissan tuning) and was told that in order to keep my engine in good shape its good to use the vtec mode while your driving. my question is how do you get it into vtec im guessing that you come close to red lining in order to do so. i hope im explainging it properly or that you are understanding what im trying to figure out exactly...thanks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok so im new to honda (coming from nissan tuning) and was told that in order to keep my engine in good shape its good to use the vtec mode while your driving. my question is how do you get it into vtec im guessing that you come close to red lining in order to do so. i hope im explainging it properly or that you are understanding what im trying to figure out exactly...thanks!

your friends are stupid

you shouldnt ride around at 6000 rpms all the time

use good fluids and keep up with maintanence and it'll be fine.. vtec every now and again is fine to clean out carbon but its not like it really makes the car fast lol

so most mid 90 civics have vtec.. most 90 civics also run 16's-17's in the quarter... thats not fast

systems like 'vtec' have been around for a while.. its an efficiency thing and allows you to have 'more' power up top while still having low end but 'more power' doesnt mean you actually have a lot of power

that doesnt mean i would actually drive a non vtec honda though.. i showed a friend how to drive in her d15 civic.. NO power.. it was horrible.. I think mine is slow.. i didnt think we were going any where in hers

your friends are stupid

you shouldnt ride around at 6000 rpms all the time

use good fluids and keep up with maintanence and it'll be fine.. vtec every now and again is fine to clean out carbon but its not like it really makes the car fast lol

well if you read what i wrote a little more carefully i was saying that they said it was good to do it now and again. You would have to be a moron to think that its good to drive revving the engine up to 6 grand before shifting on a daily basis.

anything with vtec is great.

i agree vtec is awesome!!

well if you read what i wrote a little more carefully i was saying that they said it was good to do it now and again.

no you didnt.. you said 'while driving' not every now and then

and you guys realize that every car manufactor (including nissan) has their own version of 'vtec'.. yes honda was the first to put it into production but they are not the only ones with vvt

and not to forget it was first introduced in the 30's on a tractor, then honda kinda obtained the plans and patented it as there own...Or something along those lines at least...honestly vtec aint crap if you want to make a dedicated car for racing. It's meant to provide fuel economy and reliable some what more power for when it's needed.

and you guys realize that every car manufactor (including nissan) has their own version of 'vtec'.. yes honda was the first to put it into production but they are not the only ones with vvt

take it down a notch were just talking here...and i am aware of vtec i was more curious as to what rpm's it engaged.

and while driving is also included in every now and then. the term now driving was meant to tell you that u use it while the car is on and moving not to insinuate that you engage vtec mode when the car is sitting in the driveway looking pretty!!! Thanks!

if you want to know the exact engage point for your car you could just check wiki.. it probably is like 5500.. i dont know for a newer car.. a lot of people think it engages at like 4k.. they are wrong lol

also dont be dumb and buy a vtec controller for you stock car.. a lot of people think this adds power but youll just make the car worse.. honda engineers got paid a good bit to figure out the best crossover point

Variable valve timing is nothing new like DelSolSweetie said, however each manufacturer has a different approach and I believe that Honda's is a bit different in the way it is setup and as stated before it was patented this way so no other car manufacturer can legally copy it. Not saying it's the best thing in the world, but it is very practical in a dd and still fun to hit every now and then. VTEC engages within a window not an exact rpm, most single cam D series are around 4800-5500 if I remember correctly, and most B's are approx 500-1000 rpm higher depending on what motor. Also under part throttle it will not engage you must have about 75% or more throttle. Just figured I'd try to add something take it for what it's worth.

Hope you enjoy your car and be safe!

Variable valve timing is nothing new like DelSolSweetie said, however each manufacturer has a different approach and I believe that Honda's is a bit different in the way it is setup and as stated before it was patented this way so no other car manufacturer can legally copy it. Not saying it's the best thing in the world, but it is very practical in a dd and still fun to hit every now and then. VTEC engages within a window not an exact rpm, most single cam D series are around 4800-5500 if I remember correctly, and most B's are approx 500-1000 rpm higher depending on what motor. Also under part throttle it will not engage you must have about 75% or more throttle. Just figured I'd try to add something take it for what it's worth.

Hope you enjoy your car and be safe!

I appreciate this and your opinion is at least backed up with some logical facts!!

Chevrolet was the first company to use variable valve timing. There are many variations of vvt but vtec a little more than vvt.

Variable valve timing and electronic lift control is the acronym.

Chevrolet was the first company to use variable valve timing. There are many variations of vvt but vtec a little more than vvt.

Variable valve timing and electronic lift control is the acronym.

very educational haha

Archived