My d16z6T build thread

So got my motor yesterday, its a z6, good condition. As soon as I pull the truck out, the motor goes on the stand, and the trans goes on the bench.

Plans

vitara custom rods setup up

head done with crower stage2 mild turbo cam, with bisi hardware

go autoworks mini ac ram mani

skunk2 intake mani

custom downpiping, dump tube plumbed into exhaust (emissions in OR are anal... kinda)

have a shop set up for tuning (even though it wont be for a year or so)

debating on turbo size, want something small, fast spooling, thinking a 20 or 25

trans is a z6 trans, getting gutted and rebuilt, swapping 5th, looking into if its possible to swap 5th from a b7 trans.

also debating on mfactory or qualife LSD, although, im leaning heavily towards the mfactory.

the trans casing, block, head casting, and v/c are going to get hot tanked (aluminum only tank) then get coated, probably a bronze, or anthracite/bronze combo

As the build goes on ill post pics (as well as when i get parts)

any suggestions, info, feedback are greatfully appreciated. overall power goals are 200-220, but torquey power, not all high end (hence the tiny turbo) (maybe not lower the compression with the vitara/rods but keep it around stock?)

Sounds all good an if you plan on swaping fith gear from a b7 trans you be doing nothing if i am right they have the same ratio and to get to your goal of 200-220 stay with the 20 the 25 is to damn small lol. As for the vitara set up i have nothing but respect, it has showed me up in the past. lol

5th gear is the same unless your Z6 is an Si. Si has .750 5th, all others (92-00) have .702.

Don't coat the case. If you drive the car hard, the trans will see temps around 310*F without a cooler and with the bare case. That is already 100* higher than the fluid should see. Coat the case and it will get even hotter.

MFactory LSD has better runout than the Quaife, it's stronger (forged versus the Quaife billet), has tighter clearances, and is cheaper.

ssr! just the man I want to chime in!

I was actually thinking of plumbing a cooler (electric pump obviously) to the trans

also this will still be a DD, so I want a little longer of a gear for 5th (3.5K on the freeway SUCKS!) so what would my options be?

5th gear is the same unless your Z6 is an Si. Si has .750 5th, all others (92-00) have .702.

Don't coat the case. If you drive the car hard, the trans will see temps around 310*F without a cooler and with the bare case. That is already 100* higher than the fluid should see. Coat the case and it will get even hotter.

MFactory LSD has better runout than the Quaife, it's stronger (forged versus the Quaife billet), has tighter clearances, and is cheaper.

You can always anodize casing. I dont know that it will effect dissipation of heat?

they do make a pigmented alumiblast in bronze, so thats probably what id end up using anyways if I were to coat the trans, but if ssr says dont... then you dont (cause ssr is the tranny guy).

and as far as custom gearing, I dont have the equipment to mill that, nor the $ to pay a shop to, look like ill be sticking with the z6 trans, just cleaning it and rebuilding it.

Custom final drive = 10 x $534.95 and you have 9 spares.

Cast can't be anodized.

It takes more than a CNC machine to make gears. They need to be treated, finished, etc.

No need for custom gears. I sell everything you need.

You mean the 1-5 fun and mileage in your DD?

MFactory 1.000 5th = 47mpg in my car.

I do a lot of around town driving, and all my fun is 1-3rd when I get a little throttle happy!:D Some areas around house are 30 MPH zones so I cant use 5th but do use 4th. I would love to have one of your trannies, and do fully intend to get one if it can be set up that way. What kinda price would I be looking at for a D-series set up the way I want it?

With the 1.000 5th you can cruise at 20mph lol.

If your mainly concerned about 1-3 then I'd go with a FD. The 4.7 or 4.9 would work well with 220whp.

$1,499.85 plus shipping, add $150 for a Z6 core or $275 for a Y8 if you don't send your trans in.

That's the MFactory helical LSD and diff bearings, MFactory FD, OEM parts, and labor (includes media blasting the case).

With the 1.000 5th you can cruise at 20mph lol.

If your mainly concerned about 1-3 then I'd go with a FD. The 4.7 or 4.9 would work well with 220whp.

$1,499.85 plus shipping, add $150 for a Z6 core or $275 for a Y8 if you don't send your trans in.

That's the MFactory helical LSD and diff bearings, MFactory FD, OEM parts, and labor (includes media blasting the case).

HMMMMM not bad at all! I am considering boost and going for 200HP on solid rebuild and nice tranny. How measurable would the wow factor be on a stock Z6 until I boost? I have stock SI tranny now. Trying to decide if I want to do this sooner rather than later. If its a nice difference, I may do tranny now, find Z6 and tear down and build over the next 6 months, I have paint I am wanting to do as well.

honestly, to me the butt dyno really is the most important part. $1500 wasted if the car doesn't at least feel faster.

honestly, to me the butt dyno really is the most important part. $1500 wasted if the car doesn't at least feel faster.

It'll be faster..with boost you have zero traction in the lower gears...

Mike..I'm gonna be selling my built Z6 in case you happen to be interested

It'll be faster..with boost you have zero traction in the lower gears...

Mike..I'm gonna be selling my built Z6 in case you happen to be interested

PM or Aim me price and parts list? I already know its $180-$220.00 to ship.

It was a joke, obviously it would be a better product.

lol I missed it, shoulda known better and looked at the username..so many kinda sorta newbs lately haha.

Archived