what grade gas in Si with vtec

mongo

Just bought a 95 Si with vtec, owners manual says to use 'unleaded 86 or higher in the S, Si" but then says " vtec unleaded 91 or higher",,,,does mine take reg or premium,, I am new to Honda's,,,so dont flame me...........

Just bought a 95 Si with vtec, owners manual says to use 'unleaded 86 or higher in the S, Si" but then says " vtec unleaded 91 or higher",,,,does mine take reg or premium,, I am new to Honda's,,,so dont flame me...........

3 trim levels for the Sols, except for 93, which only had two.

S and Si take regular, the VTEC trim level needs higher octane. the Si and VTEC trims have VTEC equipped engines. It is a bit confusing at first.

wow i cant believe someone would ask that but not hating on you its better to ask then not to i quess but me i run 91 but i also have a b16a and when i had my d16z6 i still ran 91 just thought it did better and it didnt hurt it

Thanks guys, still learning, premium it is, the car had sat up almost a year per po, doing all the fluid changes and tune up work,,,any suggestions on type spark plug or just go with the $2 NGK the owners manual says to use.....

ngk for plugs.. even though they are $2 doesnt mean they are bad

bf uses the same brand ngk i do and his are 10 a piece

as far as gas just use regular.. hondas have lower compression ratios and dont have to have 93 or midgrade.. if you like spending more in gas go ahead but you dont need it.. im assuming your car is all stock or close to it (even if you had a cold air intake/header etc using regular is fine)

i used to put 87 in my car even before going to the track

93 octane just ignites at a higher temp.. which is better in higher compression because of the higher temp/pressure.. using 87 in a high compression motor leads to preignition (which is the knocking you hear people talking about).. your motor has like a 8.5:1 compression (pretty low)... so unless the motor has higher compression pistons or a decked head or something you dont need higher octance

OK, now confused again,,,I thought the si vtec was higher compresson needing premium,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I will go with what is best for the car, and it is stock for now....(and please correct me on this, are all Si 's vtec?) (still learning)

so premium is what i need?

so regular is what i need?

Si and Vtec are not the same thing

heres how it breaks down

S Trim = d15b7 or d167y (both non vtec equiped motors) = regular gas

Si Trim = d16z6 "you have one of those" or a d16y8 (both are vtec equiped motors) = regualr gas

VTEC Trim = b16xx (not a b series guy, so i dont even pay attenion to em) = 91 or higher

so you can use regular old cheap stuff in yours.

that beez a B16A3 in the del sol VTEC :)

pop your hood, if your valve cover says DOHC VTEC then you put premium 91,93 etc if your valve cover just says honda then its a single cam motor which does not need premuim i have an si model del sol as well and regular is what has been going into my car since i bought it in december.

pop your hood, if your valve cover says DOHC VTEC then you put premium 91,93 etc if your valve cover just says honda then its a single cam motor which does not need premuim i have an si model del sol as well and regular is what has been going into my car since i bought it in december.

ok i have a question my valve cover says dohc vtec and at the bottom it says honda whta can i use lol. can i use both in a combination lol just jk my car gets only the best bc she needs it to run good. and my delsol isnt a b16a3 its a b16a yuayayayayayayayay

ok heres how it goes for a STOCK motor.

All D Series motors(SOHC) should use 86/87. it does no use to put higher octane in it. it will just burn colder which lets too much carbon build up

all B Series(DOHC) should use 91/93. DO NOT use anything lower than 91 octane.

ok cmgogo i made a booboo. its fixed

/thread

P1000583-1.jpg

Regular Gas

delsol003_small.jpg

Premium

On the subject of premium where your car does not call for it... The advantage of higher octane is it won't ignite as easily, while still providing the same amount of power. Octane is a measure of how likely it is to ignite without spark (hot spark plugs, compression, etc.). When people say it burns hotter, they mean that where lower octane fuels explode, the higher octane still burns, meaning you get the flame front that produces power throughout the stroke, rather than an explosion that does nothing more than give the piston a short shove, not always in the right direction.

It's possible that premium will do a little better in an engine that uses regular... but unless you actually have a problem with detonation, the benefits really aren't going to be worth the extra cost. Of course, there's the slight possibility that there's something in the premium fuel that doesn't affect octane but does make your car run better... *shrugs*

ok heres how it goes for a STOCK motor.

All D Series motors(SOHC) should use 86/87. it does no use to put higher octane in it. it will just burn colder which lets too much carbon build up

all B Series(DOHC) should use 91/93. DO NOT use anything lower than 91 octane.

you should have the b16a2 or a3. which requires 91/93

/thread

um dude /your reading comprehension, he has an si, which is a d16z6, so like i said, run regular.

omg dude are you dumb

okay sorry

YOU HAVE SINGLE CAM MOTOR WITH VTEC

vtec does not magically change compression ratios

USE REGULAR

it is all you need!

hell you COULD run 110 octane.. but there IS NO REASON TO

/thread

What she said, except the Dumb part... Your car simply cannot make use of the higher octane, so using it is a waste of $. If you use a good brand of regular unleaded gaas (86/87 octane), you will have no problems. If your motor pings/detonates on regular gas, you either got bad gas, or there is a problem with the car that needs addressed.

Personally, I stay away from the independent, small time, no name filling stations unless I KNOW where they get their fuel. Many stations get their fuel from the same supplier, but some suppliers are better at quality control and additive mixing than others. I also stay away from stations that aren't busy. The longer the gas sits in the ground tank, the more likely it will "go bad", lose stability, or accumulate moisture/particulate.

ok i have a question my valve cover says dohc vtec and at the bottom it says honda whta can i use lol. can i use both in a combination lol just jk my car gets only the best bc she needs it to run good. and my delsol isnt a b16a3 its a b16a yuayayayayayayayay

ONCE AGAIN DOHC DUAL CAM USE 93 OCT, SOHC which means single cam uses regular or 87 oct . single cam motors were made for fuel economy in the first place. look in your owners manual dude, if you dont have one then i suggest looking up online or talking to someone who knows a great deal about hondas. myself personally i use only regular in this single cam motor,

ONCE AGAIN DOHC DUAL CAM USE 93 OCT, SOHC which means single cam uses regular or 87 oct . single cam motors were made for fuel economy in the first place. look in your owners manual dude, if you dont have one then i suggest looking up online or talking to someone who knows a great deal about hondas. myself personally i use only regular in this single cam motor,

wow get butt hurt! i said it as a joke so yea, but i use 93 bc mine is a dohc. If your motor is a jdm motor they have honda at the bottom of the valve cover and DOHC VTEC at the top. and i do have a owners manual dude would you like a pic of it to. here is something eles if you are going to say DOHC and why would you then say DUAL CAM your saying the same Sh!T.

l_4ba1893b98c340e1bb4607bbf86be057.jpg

and yes this is my valve cover and yes it is dirty and i dont give a crap really thank you and have a nice day

wow get butt hurt! i said it as a joke so yea, but i use 93 bc mine is a dohc. If your motor is a jdm motor they have honda at the bottom of the valve cover and DOHC VTEC at the top. and i do have a owners manual dude would you like a pic of it to. here is something eles if you are going to say DOHC and why would you then say DUAL CAM your saying the same Sh!T.

l_4ba1893b98c340e1bb4607bbf86be057.jpg

and yes this is my valve cover and yes it is dirty and i dont give a crap really thank you and have a nice day

because im obviously trying to explain it to some of the less knowledgeable people on here such as the threadstarter. you going and bringing up JDM valve covers and what not your gonna confuse the crap outta him. nice job...

because im obviously trying to explain it to some of the less knowledgeable people on here such as the threadstarter. you going and bringing up JDM valve covers and what not your gonna confuse the crap outta him. nice job...

not trying to confuse the guy i was just making a joke trying to be funny but this is stupid saying this on the net plus the guy wants help that is what we are all here for so lets drop this sh!t

Archived