WONT START PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

hondaman08

Alright so yesterday I drove the sol and it was running fine. Parked it for the night, when I went to start it today I couldnt get it to start...

It will crank over but will not even attempt to fire

I have spark, fuel to the fuel rail, it is in time

please help me out, I have run out of ideas and dont know what to do.

pull plugs, check them, check plug wires, check to see if fuel is getting injected.

I pulled them and I have spark in all 4

also disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and it is getting gas, dont really know how to test the injectors. Going to get some starter fluid and spray it into the intake to see if it will fire up fo ra second.... thats the only thing I can think of to check the injectors

I pulled them and I have spark in all 4

also disconnected the fuel line from the fuel rail and it is getting gas, dont really know how to test the injectors. Going to get some starter fluid and spray it into the intake to see if it will fire up fo ra second.... thats the only thing I can think of to check the injectors

have you done any recent work to it ? i know you said you took the fuel line off did just a lil gas come out ? and you assume its getting gas or did you turn key to on position and watch it spray ? because it almost sounds like a fuel pump . turn key to on position and listen for a buzz if nothing have someone pound on bottom of your tank as you crank it over if it starts its your fuel pump

have you done any recent work to it ? i know you said you took the fuel line off did just a lil gas come out ? and you assume its getting gas or did you turn key to on position and watch it spray ? because it almost sounds like a fuel pump . turn key to on position and listen for a buzz if nothing have someone pound on bottom of your tank as you crank it over if it starts its your fuel pump

I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key. Havent done any work to the car in a while.

Going to try and test the injectors and wires with a voltmeter today or tomorrow if i get a break from class. Also I was told to check the main relay.

idk if it helps but this morning I gave it another try and it sounded like it wanted to start for a second but got nothing after that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh yeah, i've recently had the same problem on my 93' Sol. I let it run out of gas on the way home from school one day. Me and a buddy pushed it to an advance auto parts store, i filled it up, and tried to start it, it kept trying to turn over, but it wasn't getting any fuel. It took me 3 hours to get it started again.

A local mechanic happened to stop by, he told me to get carb and choke cleaner, he pulled off my 4th spark plug, stuck a screwdriver into the wire and propped it against my headers so it would spark, sprayed a small amount of carb cleaner into my throttle body and had me turn the key, it didn't start at first, i had to push the gas pedal to the floor and turn it over for about 10 seconds, wait about 5 minutes, turned the key again and it started right up..

I'm fairly certain that i burned up my fuel pump when i let it run out of gas. >.< sometimes it will flat out refuse to start, and i have to do this same trick to get it started. i'm having mine looked at by a local mechanic though, i don't have the time to fix it myself right now.. :/

Ahh yeah, i've recently had the same problem on my 93' Sol. I let it run out of gas on the way home from school one day. Me and a buddy pushed it to an advance auto parts store, i filled it up, and tried to start it, it kept trying to turn over, but it wasn't getting any fuel. It took me 3 hours to get it started again.

A local mechanic happened to stop by, he told me to get carb and choke cleaner, he pulled off my 4th spark plug, stuck a screwdriver into the wire and propped it against my headers so it would spark, sprayed a small amount of carb cleaner into my throttle body and had me turn the key, it didn't start at first, i had to push the gas pedal to the floor and turn it over for about 10 seconds, wait about 5 minutes, turned the key again and it started right up..

I'm fairly certain that i burned up my fuel pump when i let it run out of gas. >.< sometimes it will flat out refuse to start, and i have to do this same trick to get it started. i'm having mine looked at by a local mechanic though, i don't have the time to fix it myself right now.. :/

Yeah, that'll happen. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel itself, and when you run it dry... pumping air with no cooling will kill one of those pretty quick. Really about the only drawback to an electronic fuel pump. But that's not going to be cheap... List price for a fuel pump is $375... And you'd be looking at probably 3-4 hours in flat-rate labor...

If you can, it's a good idea to try and fill up around 1/4 tank. That'll help protect your fuel pump, and I've also heard a few people say you'll get better gas mileage because the gas doesn't evaporate so much... Not sure how much truth that holds, but that's what they say.

Yeah, that'll happen. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel itself, and when you run it dry... pumping air with no cooling will kill one of those pretty quick. Really about the only drawback to an electronic fuel pump. But that's not going to be cheap... List price for a fuel pump is $375... And you'd be looking at probably 3-4 hours in flat-rate labor...

If you can, it's a good idea to try and fill up around 1/4 tank. That'll help protect your fuel pump, and I've also heard a few people say you'll get better gas mileage because the gas doesn't evaporate so much... Not sure how much truth that holds, but that's what they say.

Yeah, i guess i learned the hard way lol.

I actually found new OEM fuel pump for $87 at advance auto, and new OEM fuel filter for $14. I was looking on the turbo necessities sticky, and it talked about Walbro fuel pumps for $100 that could handle 255lph..

i'm just waiting on my paycheck so i can get a new one lol.

if your gonna turbo get the walbro. check the thread i posted in the engine tuning, it has everything you need for a turbo build. and dont forget the catch can!

haha yeah i looked at it, thanks it helps alot. i'm still in highschool, im not looking to boost until i graduate and get through college. i've not got the money right now.

where's the best place to order the walbro pump?

i feel for you man.. i just finished replacing my fuel pump today and my car's running fine again.

i'm not sure what to tell you. if you can get it running long enough to take to a mechanic it might be a good idea to get a professional opinion, forums can only tell so much lol.

good luck.

Just wondering but could you hear your fuel pump runnung when you first turn the key to on?

I can hear the humming but idk, it could still be messed up

Since i replaced my pump i can distinctly hear my pump when i turn the key, i've never really payed attention to it before. you might want to check your fuel filter if you havent already.

Ok, i had the same problem again yesterday, i went to a few different shops and auto parts stores to get input, and it's either your fuel pump relay, or your ICM (ignition control module).

i replaced my ICM this morning and my car hasn't had any problems, knock on wood.

they sell for around $70 at advance auto, and they only take about 30 minutes to replace. its inside your distributor, you have to remove the spark plug cables, distributor cap, rotor, and cover, it's held in by two screws, very easy to replace.

Ok, i had the same problem again yesterday, i went to a few different shops and auto parts stores to get input, and it's either your fuel pump relay, or your ICM (ignition control module).

i replaced my ICM this morning and my car hasn't had any problems, knock on wood.

they sell for around $70 at advance auto, and they only take about 30 minutes to replace. its inside your distributor, you have to remove the spark plug cables, distributor cap, rotor, and cover, it's held in by two screws, very easy to replace.

I'll have to give it a shot, have an extra distributor at home.

So I got it to start the other day and took it to the gas station and filled it up. Also put some additive in with it to remove any water in the lines. It drove great for the past 3 days, no problems at all. Still have 3/4 tank

Now today it won't start again! I think it might be because of the cold but I'm not sure. It got pretty cold here lat night and is 27 degrees now with about a foot of snow.

mine starts in 20 degree weather fine

what oil are you using.. random question but may be part of somthing

haha i took mine to a shop to get it changed. i didnt feel like bothering with it after all of this.

apparently i just learned the hard way that advance auto is NOT the place to buy parts. my car is sitting at the local walmart parking lot right now because the fuel pump went out again. >.<

my girlfriends dad is a local mechanic, and he told me that advance auto sells refurbished fuel pumps, which can last anywhere from 6 months, to a fews weeks... I wish i had known that 2 weeks ago.

so tomorrow i get to replace a fuel pump in the walmart parking lot... joy. :mad:

haha i took mine to a shop to get it changed. i didnt feel like bothering with it after all of this.

apparently i just learned the hard way that advance auto is NOT the place to buy parts. my car is sitting at the local walmart parking lot right now because the fuel pump went out again. >.<

my girlfriends dad is a local mechanic, and he told me that advance auto sells refurbished fuel pumps, which can last anywhere from 6 months, to a fews weeks... I wish i had known that 2 weeks ago.

so tomorrow i get to replace a fuel pump in the walmart parking lot... joy. :mad:

Damn man that sucks!

It warmed up here and I haven't had any problems. Went and picked up a new fuel filter and put premium gas in it so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Really wouldn't mind if it would just warm up and stay that way already, that should fix the problem really quick :D

As for the oil, I want to say that I'm running 10w30 but I can't remember. I'm about due for a change soon so yea

Archived