16 years old

LukeF

Hey guys,

I turned 16 back in january and basically my mom was cool enough to pay for my car. I picked up a 1998 Civic EX coupe simply because I liked the body and it suited my necessities, which are basically to get me places. But there is a side of me that has always liked to get into things like this and exceed my necessities so I really hope to learn a ton more about cars in general. I am a really quick learner especially at this type of stuff so I plan on learning a ton. Basically, what I need to know as of now is the basics of functionality. Before I can talk about any mods or swaps, I need to know how my car works and what all of the lingo is that I need to know. Like i've been reading a few of the pinned threads and I don't really understand some of the terms and parts of the car. Also, I have seen people referring to articles that teach basics of automobiles or articles about OBD but I don't see a main page for this website so I don't really know where to find those. So if you guys could guide me in the right direction so that I can learn everything that I need to know to understand the threads at the least.

welcome :) pics of your car would be great :D

To learn about the basics of a car, go on howstuffworks.com and read about combustion engine and cars and suspension...whatever you don't know, google search for images or wikipedia...gl :) and ask us here :)

um... sure :D

(+10 years)

i love you bell. =P

hmm. i approve of this kid. he doesnt want to rice out his car and he actually wants to learn.

welcome to HF

I give bell a couple of day to come back and ask.

J/K with you chicka. Bell, I don't care what anybody says about you kiddo, you are cool in my book.

Welcome dude. Hope you can talk the talk and walk the walk on here, is all I have to say.

Just don't be a noob, and you will be aight.

Pics is a must!

alright thanks guys. So are there actually any articles from this website, or are people just referring to outsourced articles from other sites?

from the vtec sticky:

If you have read How Car Engines Work, you know about the valves that let air into the engine and let exhaust out of the engine.

which one is he referring to?

What you guys should do is create a main page aside from the forums in which you guys contribute and add tutorials and articles that will help out all of the noobs like me.

^that exists in other forums...try Team-integra.net...they have looots of articles for understanding basics of cars!

As for your question: Valves are part of the engine and our engines have number of vlaves...like 12V or 16V meaning 12 valves or 16 valves and such...

read team-integra.net...accurate and useful and simple description...

I LOLed so hard at pedobear.

Welcome to HF!

If you want someone to answer a question, or if you just want to just BS with the rest of us, post here.

If you want detailed pictures and diagrams etc... google.gif

Howstuffworks.com is an awesome suggestion to get you started.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums, Kiddo! (P.S. don't take offense to that =P)

I'm learning about the mechanics of it all to, but I can definitely tell you this is a great place to start. Let me just warn you, as a youngin' to be aware of the amount of money you invest in your car. Now, Hondas are very popular in the race car world because it's cheaper to make it a race car than some higher end cars, but let it be known, it's very easy to get carried away with buying stuff for your car. I know, I have 2 cousins buying crap they never get around sticking in their car.

So that's my schpeil. Have a good one and hope to hear more from you.

Welcome to the forums, Kiddo! (P.S. don't take offense to that =P)

I'm learning about the mechanics of it all to, but I can definitely tell you this is a great place to start. Let me just warn you, as a youngin' to be aware of the amount of money you invest in your car. Now, Hondas are very popular in the race car world because it's cheaper to make it a race car than some higher end cars, but let it be known, it's very easy to get carried away with buying stuff for your car. I know, I have 2 cousins buying crap they never get around sticking in their car.

So that's my schpeil. Have a good one and hope to hear more from you.

who the bloody hell are you?

maybe the 'i run a 14 or slower' race world

hahaha

okay sorry.. hondas just need a decent amount of work to be considered 'fast'.. well at least to me.. a car should be at least a 12 sec quarter mile before it gets to be called fast.. low 13 SOMETIMES.. 14's and 15s and 16s etc dont impress me much

you can race OTHER hondas and other slower cars and stand a chance

dont get me wrong.. they CAN be fast.. after swaps and turbos and bottom ends and top ends and tuning etc

that tells me absolutely nothing

good job

My name is Louzee. I'll get my boyfriend's s2000 if I can get it running. I'm 21 years old. I'm learning how to Tig weld. I help my boyfriend build manifolds. B series top mount, log, ramhorn, etc. s2000 etc. etc. I build collectors for him and I help grind, bevel, sand runners and stuff.

There.Iis that enough? Can you leave me alone now.

maybe the 'i run a 14 or slower' race world

hahaha

okay sorry.. hondas just need a decent amount of work to be considered 'fast'.. well at least to me.. a car should be at least a 12 sec quarter mile before it gets to be called fast.. low 13 SOMETIMES.. 14's and 15s and 16s etc dont impress me much

you can race OTHER hondas and other slower cars and stand a chance

dont get me wrong.. they CAN be fast.. after swaps and turbos and bottom ends and top ends and tuning etc

its not all about drag racing sarah :thumbsup:

My name is Louzee. I'll get my boyfriend's s2000 if I can get it running. I'm 21 years old. I'm learning how to Tig weld. I help my boyfriend build manifolds. B series top mount, log, ramhorn, etc. s2000 etc. etc. I build collectors for him and I help grind, bevel, sand runners and stuff.

oooooh, i was about to say codeboy jr. :laugh:

little girl i wasnt giving you sh!t, i admire that you actually do something other than lean against a car and look pretty. you didnt make an intro thread but jumped in like you were everyones best friend. i just wanted to know a little more about you other than you have some arrogance issues.

dont type to me in that tone. its unnecessary and unwarranted. if you want to be a b!tch, choose a different forum, i recommend PETA.

and yes, im quite through with you now. have a lovely day, welcome to HF.

^burn hahaha

its not all about drag racing sarah :thumbsup:

well i cant really base how fast a car is on an autocross track.. speaking they are different lengths etc

easily to use quarter mile times cause people understand it

if you say so... i mean not EVERYONE wants to go fast in a straight line.. i prefer timetrials/autocross more, sure a car might be slow on the 1/4 but a hell of alot quicker on the twisties than a car thats running a 11 second pass on the 1/4 :thumbsup:

idk.. there was an 11 sec hatch that was turbo'd like crazy and im pretty sure he could take a turn.. my brother law should be running that or faster and i KNOW he can take a turn

now a big drag car like you thinking about... yah those cant take a turn

Archived