Im Baaaack

cmgogo

Yeah so i might have left a sour taste in some of your mouths, but ive chilled a bit since leaving the east coast (its amazing what 8 months in the northwest can do for an attitude) and well have a new project underway. Picked her up for $500. Everything is good minus the front end (as usual with me) so alas, time to do yet another eg swap.

I named this car REDemption, since the last one was taken away from me by the good ol corrupt cops of warrington PA (long story short, guy ran red doing 60, hit me head on, totaled solvic, cop that took accident report was the guy's cousin, so i got screwed)

anyways, PICS!

This is her before i picked her up, she sat in a field since mid 06

redemption1.jpg

Did a little work a few days ago, and took off the fenders, hood, and pulled the core support out a little bit (amongst other little odds and ends)

P1010002.jpg

And today stripped the interior all the way down, all thats left is the passenger side door panel, dash, and roll bar panels

P1010003-1.jpg

So far i am VERY pleased with this car, it runs great, transmission shifts like butter, no cel codes (well not yet atleast) and the paint is in great shape. Only missing a few odds and ends, but nothing big, or even noticable to someone who has never owned a sol before.

Paint 5/10, this car has been in preivous wrecks besides the one that totaled it. The paint has orange peel that is not noticable until a close inspection (so close i didnt notice it on the original inspection, but regardless i still would have bought it) as this is nothing that i cant fix on my own

Exterior (sans front end) 7/10, Some dings and dents, nothing I cant get out in a weekend or 2 of work.

Interior 4/10, Its not great, but its not so bad I can reuse everything. Worst part is the drivers side outer bolster, but i should be able to repair that when the iggee covers go on.

Plans:

For now plans are to gut and strip car, clean to facorty fresh, and sound deaden entire chassis polyfill on the RQP's and filling in voids in interior panels with egg crate foam.

Antena is already missing, so im going to go ahead and shave it completely (who the hell listens to the radio anymore anyways?)

Obviously doing ANOTHER eg conversion :) This time with C/F oem styled hood instead of stock metal.

eventually the b7 will be taken out and a rebuilt z6 that is boosted will be put in (in about 2 years after I have the time and $$$ to build the motor up to where I want it)

Paint, still undecided if i am going to stick with milano, or go another route. I really dont want to have to pull motor, seals, doors to paint, so odds are i will be sticking with milano.

Audio,I am thinking of single 10" in trunk, Also need ideas on speakers? and a single din head unit with usb (either hard drive, or thumb stick) not interested in bluetooth, gps, or any of that jazz

Customization, will be doing another led bin light setup like i had in my last sol, however will not have such obvious switches for it. Also will be installing an additional fuse block adjacent to the oem one for easy access to accessories (inverter etc) will be installing a 120v80w plug in, as well as 2 12v plug ins in the rear passenger bin.

will also be doing rear disc conversion, and putting on oem spoiler. fat5's or hx's will be rolling stock, not sure what shoes i am going to go with tho. Going to do static drop, prob about 2.5 to 3 pending.

for now those are my starting plans. Let me know what ya thinks

oh PS taking out the passnger air bag SUCKS!

does it have a windshield washer bottle?

that made me lol

looks like a good start cmgogo. cant wait to see more progress. just be careful for other dumbass drivers. dont wanna see another one totaled

does it have a windshield washer bottle?

yup, and a very nice one at that. Hey mike said u might be selling sol, want to trade me back my black handles for a set of grey ones? pretty please? ill throw some $$ and pay for shipping :) u know u want too!

yup, and a very nice one at that. Hey mike said u might be selling sol, want to trade me back my black handles for a set of grey ones? pretty please? ill throw some $$ and pay for shipping :) u know u want too!

..well.. for one i already put them on and i really dont want to take em off again..

and... i think i'm gonna keep it and make it bootyful.

but bell u luvs me :) u know you want to, instead of making me pay $145 to get a brand new pair from majestic. and because i need something from my old sol to put in my new one.

i do luff you cory, but i put those on all by myself and they work, i am proud of me but at the same time.. i dont wanna do it again. at all. ever. and holy crap on the price.

also, since i am keeping the sol, i really dont want grey handles. i like the 97 everything about the car, including the front end you keep turning up your nose at to do a swapped front end.

cause 97 front end would run me over 1G, eg front end about 500. remeber bell, me = broke college student. oh well, time to spend next 2 paychecks on door handles :(

how do you keep getting civic front ends so cheap that its worth doing all the work to make the swap?do they give those things away or what?

UPDATE!

Sorry no pics tonight, but today ended up stripping all the old armor all, grime, dust, and grit from all the interior panels, stripped the gray parts off the door panels and rear speakers, picked up some open cell foam, and the material to recover the gray parts of the car, as well as finished stripping down the interior and wiping down all the metal with a degreaser in prep for sound deadening, Also priced poly fill for RQPs (gunna run about 40 to do them) and pulled all bulbs that im changing to red leds from instrument cluster and hvac controls. Redressed the black panels so they are nice and silky again, and started to lay out fabric to cut for the panels :) Now all i need is my adhesive, a day, and to get my sound deadening done and i can start to put the interior back together :D

PS Airbags do messed up things to panels. I cleaned the panel that goes above the instrument cluster, and it turned gray on me :( So mike is possibly going to send me another one to replace it, if that doesnt pan out ill be wrapping it as well in the red that is going on the doors. (a little bit of contrast never hurt no one.) Also looking into fabbing up some custom "oh sh*t handles" to mount to either the seats or above the seatbelts :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... that looks amazing. How did you change the grey to red? just some fabric/vinyl stretched over top? I'd love to do something like that to mine after I find a job... And get a second vehicle of some sort, haha.

im never doing those fking speaker panels again (ARG!)

and the last sol i had rattled quite a bit, and with the ammount of money, and quality of the gear i am installing, im not going to 1/2 ass my install hehe.

Also road noise sucks in a sol, as it does with 90% of the honda's out there. This should help quite a bit with that as well. My goal when i set out on this project was that I wanted it to sound like i was riding in a beamer when i had the windows up and the top on, and judging from how it sounded inside with my garage stereo blaring, i would say i am well on my way.

Wow... that looks amazing. How did you change the grey to red? just some fabric/vinyl stretched over top? I'd love to do something like that to mine after I find a job... And get a second vehicle of some sort, haha.

yup good ol permatex and spralding vinyl, that and alot of patience, and cursing.

Archived