Help, any advice?

Humphries

I was driving to the bank this morning to deposit some money.

So on the way, I pull into the complex/plaza or whatever and i hear a BIG CLUNK under the car. I turn around to find out what I ran over, and it's a friggin CAR JACK!

So I pick it up to get it out of the road and get back in the car to notice the Check Engine light's on. The car's Idle is fluctuating from 1000 to 1450. It was metal on metal and it was hard.

What do I do? I was thinking I could make the city of Peachtree City or Fayette county pay for the damages since it's not my fault there was a car jack sitting in the middle of the road.

I'm going to Autozone when they open to get a diagnostic test to see why the CEL is on.

Stupid people suck!

Cities do not pay for road hazards, especially for items dropped from other motorists. Now if you had run into an open man-hole cover that might make for a nice payout...

The exception to this is if a hazardous condition is reported, i.e. pothole, and the city fails to respond in an acceptable time period (in ohio the legal precedent is 10 days). You will have to call the local transportation authority, but you will likely get nothing.

the only reason I could think that your check engine all of sudden went on...if in fact it truely was caused by the running over of the jack, is it knicked your wiring or O2 sensor and it needs to be replaced.

Then I dont understand that why your light would be on, theres really no logical explanation, its up in the air, but just check the code and theyre you go

at least your car is high enough to run over it

With the height I am rolling at the jack would have gone straight through my radiator!

He's lowered now. I think...

+1 to this though. If it was a baby lying in the road, you'd be the one getting sued. :laugh:

it was dark, raining and 5 AM.. and why would someone put a baby in the road?

Cities do not pay for road hazards, especially for items dropped from other motorists. Now if you had run into an open man-hole cover that might make for a nice payout...

The exception to this is if a hazardous condition is reported, i.e. pothole, and the city fails to respond in an acceptable time period (in ohio the legal precedent is 10 days). You will have to call the local transportation authority, but you will likely get nothing.

I was driving on a city road and a truck in front of me ran over a manhole cover and it spin up vertically in the hole and I ran right into it. Hence why I don't have my old rims or lip kit anymore. The city's insurance doesn't cover stuff like that they said even though it was the city worker's fault. They said if they covered stuff like that, everyone would be suing them. I could have pursued it, but the damages were less than the court fees, even with my pre-paid legal. Other cities might be different.

Archived