Help

Orca89

So, I've been having occasional trouble getting my car to start, but I've had to kick start it the past several times I needed to go somewhere. I've tried jumping it, fiddled with the connections to the battery, jiggled the key as I'm trying to start it... nothing works. Starter motor clicks once, and the fuel pump runs after turning the key. Stereo, lights, everything else work fine. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Well first off....have you checked the battery positive connection to make sure it's not corroded between the terminal and the clamp? If so, then it's most likely the starter. My wife's did that about 2-3 months ago and her's ended up being the starter.

The only problem is the copper contacts inside of the starter that get worn down and can't make the connection anymore. You should be able to get a starter rebuild kit (all it is is new copper contacts) for around $30. Then pull your starter out...take it apart (just a few bolts/screws) and unbolt the old contacts....bolt in the new ones. It took me maybe 5-10 minutes total to install the new contacts. Plus this way is much cheaper and if it ends up not being the starter...you are only out your time and $30 instead of $130+ for a new or rebuilt starter.

Oh...the starter rebuild kits can be found on ebay usually. Just type the year and make of car + starter into the search field and you'll probably see them pop up all over.

Well first off....have you checked the battery positive connection to make sure it's not corroded between the terminal and the clamp? If so, then it's most likely the starter. My wife's did that about 2-3 months ago and her's ended up being the starter.

The only problem is the copper contacts inside of the starter that get worn down and can't make the connection anymore. You should be able to get a starter rebuild kit (all it is is new copper contacts) for around $30. Then pull your starter out...take it apart (just a few bolts/screws) and unbolt the old contacts....bolt in the new ones. It took me maybe 5-10 minutes total to install the new contacts. Plus this way is much cheaper and if it ends up not being the starter...you are only out your time and $30 instead of $130+ for a new or rebuilt starter.

Oh...the starter rebuild kits can be found on ebay usually. Just type the year and make of car + starter into the search field and you'll probably see them pop up all over.

That makes a lot of sense, I'll look into that. Thanks.

Buick. :D Old people drive em'.

Old people drive Hondas too, it's why they're considered un-cool by the Brits. Same with Caddy's.

you can get a rebuilt starter at autozone or advanced with a lifetime warranty for like $30 or $40.. and if that one ever goes out you get another free :p

well yotas and hondas are... still longer lasting than any domestic :ninja:

and you can get a rebuilt starter at autozone or advanced with a lifetime warranty for like $30 or $40.. and if that one ever goes out you get another free :p

well yotas and hondas are... still longer lasting that any domestic :ninja:

True that. I love the Camry commercial. 95% of Camrys made since "blah-blah" year, are still on the road. I think they say 92.

you can get a rebuilt starter at autozone or advanced with a lifetime warranty for like $30 or $40.. and if that one ever goes out you get another free :p

When ours went out...autozone wanted around 140 for a rebuilt starter.

When ours went out...autozone wanted around 140 for a rebuilt starter.

i got mine for $30.. but our team was sponsored by oriellys autozone and advanced.. but i dont think i got that much of a discount.. 20% discount..

but i remember i got it for 30 beacause they kept going out because they were rebuilt.. but the new rebuilt ones were free because they had lifetime warranties :p

F***ing PO... We found the problem, when the PO swapped the engine and went to attach the starter, he stripped the bolt where you attach the battery connection. The nut will go just far enough to gain a tenuous grip, and if you try and turn it any farther it pops back off. So due to pure laziness, I need the aid of either a hill or a friend to start my car. On the plus side, hopefully all I have to do is get a new nut and boot and let the bolt soak up a bit of PB-blaster. Worst case scenario is still a new starter though. I'll post pics after I find my camera >_<

yeah that's why you see so many 60's era american muscle cars running around with orginial motors....

and i was gonna say check starter sulenoids and bushings but nate beat my to it

Yea, but they're typically in the 30k mile range.

that or they are fully rebuilt with a new crate engine that came stock in the car.. i have never seen a old muscle car with over 150k on it. and ive seen alot of hondas and toyotas over the 225k mark and still running like new :thumbsup:

this argument is prolly gonna go no where but banned but can i use deisels in my argument? 400k+ miles on modern ford powerstrokes.

cars are cool, fast ones are better, regardless of make and model

/end threadjack

that or they are fully rebuilt with a new crate engine that came stock in the car.. i have never seen a old muscle car with over 150k on it. and ive seen alot of hondas and toyotas over the 225k mark and still running like new :thumbsup:

I sold my Civic with 252k on the clock. Buyer promptly blew the HG, and then drove it to overheat warping the head. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it to him now. :sad:

Diesels aren't musclecar engines.

I sold my Civic with 252k on the clock. Buyer promptly blew the HG, and then drove it to overheat warping the head. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it to him now. :sad:

Diesels aren't musclecar engines.

:p they could be

i was kinda pointing out that domestics can last. i understand that a 4cyl has a stronger chance of lasting because of greater simplicity, but domestics aren't all bad either.

:p they could be

i was kinda pointing out that domestics can last. i understand that a 4cyl has a stronger chance of lasting because of greater simplicity, but domestics aren't all bad either.

You'll never see a diesel as a musclecar engine. They have insane amounts of torque, but lack the equally impressive horsepower.

It's not even 4 cylinders that can last, it's foreign period. They have much tighter tolerances, and a much higher commitment to quality. Plus they're workers aren't protected by UAW, so crap employees get canned.

Plus they're workers aren't protected by UAW, so crap employees get canned.

This would be part of it.

I think a couple other factors are that most foreign based auto companies have to work with countries where fuel is considerably more expensive and in some cases repair shops are few and far between. Only way to cope are more efficient and higher tolerance products.

Archived