Detailing exterior

jerrodh

I just bought a "new" toy, a 97' ranger thats really scratched up and I'm interested in fixing it up best I can while staying cheap. The exterior is in good condition if I could just touch up on all the scraps/scratches. And I don't really know where to begin. I'm not interested in repainting it atm and I've heard/scene of you guys using some stuff to rub out scratches/etc. So basically just wondering what my options are or if they are even worth it?

I just bought a "new" toy, a 97' ranger thats really scratched up and I'm interested in fixing it up best I can while staying cheap. The exterior is in good condition if I could just touch up on all the scraps/scratches. And I don't really know where to begin. I'm not interested in repainting it atm and I've heard/scene of you guys using some stuff to rub out scratches/etc. So basically just wondering what my options are or if they are even worth it?

Pics?? :)

I'm painting my dad's 91 Ranger XLT orange whenever I paint the sol. Doing both at the same time :thumbsup:

Scratch X works really well by hand (just ask Wannabestuntin') but it will take a lot of elbow grease and some patience/time.

You clearly aren't wanting to invest much money, so I'd guess buying a machine, pads, and compounds/polishes is out of the question? If so, then Scratch X is your best bet. Rub it in with a terry cloth (the terry cloth will give extra grunt over a Microfiber) and wipe off with a microfiber. Make sure and wax when you're done cause the Scratch-X will remove any wax that's on there.

Thats what it was, wannabestuntin had a pretty horrendous scratch on his trunk and that stuff took it straight off pretty much. As for the hardcore detaling package I'm going to have to wait till next summer when I'll have my Del Sol repainted and an actual garage to work out of. No room in my getto low-rent place for anything like that, or the money for the matter.

Thanks for the help this is my project for next weekend, and hopefully finishing up part one of my del sol project as well.

And Hondahunter I got pics up in the domestics section! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Yep thanks for the inspiration Ryan. Idk if my truck will like that good entirely but least it'll just look like a ten year old ranger and not a ten year old beat to hell work truck.

Almost anything Meguire's is good shiot! :thumbsup: For the non-pro! :)

I agree. Though they do have a pro line (order only) that is really, really good. Though, there's often still better stuff once you get into the pro stuff. Megs is good stuff for the money though.

wet sand

orbital grinder w/ soft-back pad

wool, yarn, and various foam pads

1500 compound

work your way down to wax/polish

that's what i'd do at least...but maybe scratch-x works, i never heard of it..

wet sand

orbital grinder w/ soft-back pad

wool, yarn, and various foam pads

1500 compound

work your way down to wax/polish

that's what i'd do at least...but maybe scratch-x works, i never heard of it..

May be a little excessive, then again, maybe not. Impossible to tell without seeing. Scratch-X won't do nearly as good a job as what you listed or anything by machine, but it will help some if he has the patience.

Archived