I switched to the dark side

Mac >>>>>>>>> PC

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

My MacBook Pro came in today. I ordered it with 4GB of RAM and the 250GB HDD. Took only 6 days to be made and shipped here from China.

I don't know why I didn't switch sooner. This thing runs like a champ, so impressed by it. Compared to my 2 year old 15" Vaio, it's about a pound lighter, and the battery lasts at least 4 times as long. My Vaio would be lucky to get an hour and a half on battery. I haven't tested how long this will go on battery, but it's seriously impressive so far even with the brightness cranked all the way up. The startup time is unbelievable for me since I'm so used to Windows. I counted exactly 33 seconds from turned off to opening Firefox. With Windows XP on my Vaio I could go make a cup of coffee while it booted up.

Then there's all the little things that make it nice. The backlit keyboard, the build quality, the ease of using wireless, plug something in and it's recognized immediately instead of waiting for drivers to be installed, etc. I've never used OS X for more than maybe 5 minutes in an Apple Store, but it's so easy to use and user-friendly you really don't need much longer than that to learn your away around. The trackpad on this uses the same technology in the iPhone too, ridiculously neat. To get the right-click screen to pop up all I need to do is tap the trackpad with two fingers.

Worth every penny.

very nice indeed, i love the speed of my mac, using the school computers is like watching paint dry in comparison, and i didnt have to install my printer either, it was already recognized by just plugging it in. i use adium for my aim server instead of iChat tho, had a little glitch in upgrading, but i think i solved it, its far nicer. and iono what you use for media player, but i downloaded VLC and there isn't much i wont play (tho quicktime is becoming more widely used.)

VLC if your interested---->VLC

anyhow grats on the new laptop :)

Yes. Welcome!

You didn't get the 17" though... :(

Couple things to note: the aluminum chassis on those dent easily. Be extra careful not to drop it. Same goes for the area just above the optical drive. I replace a lot of drives because someone was heavy fisted and bent the metal down and broke the drive opening.

If you did not buy AppleCare go back and buy it now. Apple repair parts for those are stupendously expensive and the $249 or so is worth every penny.

Yea for another convert. Mac will one day rule the world. :ninja:

But seriously congrats and I'm glad you love it, everyone I know who has a mac loves the thing and wouldn't trade it for anything, this includes me.

EDIT: I agree with above, I have a few cosmetic dents in my case already (2.5yrs old). And yes that AppleCare is essential, it covered my battery defect which would have been $$$.

Gary somehow has tons o' money. He can afford driving GM, he can afford camera/photography as a hobby; takes trips to Europe and buys gangster ass laptops.

I need to trade him jobs.

www.apple.com

They cost an arm and a leg but the old saying is so true: You get what you pay for.

I have owned dozens of computers which were all hand built by me. I have repaired thousands of PC's and Mac's. I will, without a doubt say, Mac is superior to PC in every area with the exception of video game support and initial pricing.

Oh yeah I got AppleCare for 3 years. It will last me until I'm out of college.

And as far as I know the new MBP is getting a bunch of MacBook Air features, like a new chassis with tapered corners and that horible chiclet keyboard. Possibility of getting rid of the optical drive too. Sure it will probably get a bigger HDD, but I use external drives a lot. I'm not worried if they up the processor because 2.4ghz is good enough for me, but I'll be extremely sad if if they upgrade the RAM to 8GB now :(

youre a moron :)

my super mac roommate has had his mac with the trusty hands of apple care for the past 2 weeks and he just got it back, oh yeah and it doesnt even turn on. back out it goes

Congrats on the new computer.

As for a Mac being better than a pc...well that all depends on what you know. Mac's are good at certain things but are terrible at others. With enough money I can build a computer that would destroy a Mac six days a week and twice on Sunday's.

It all really comes down to personal preference though. Just for those who think I talking sh*t, I used to be in computers and not to toot my own horn but I do have quite a bit of knowledge in the field.

Macs are better for everything but gaming. When I first got mine, I hated doing web design with it (coding), but I ended up finding a program (free too) that I loved more than what I was using on the PC. My iBook is about 4 1/2 years old now and still performs better than any PC I have touched in as long. My PC has been dead for a couple of years now, and I haven't missed it.

As Bell said, get VLC if you haven't already and set it to default... especially if you download avi's (sound doesn't always work in Quicktime, but always will in VLC). Any PC users out there should get it as well.

I also use Adium as my IM program (running AIM & Myspace IM with it, I had an MSN account on it but I can't remember the password for that IM anymore and never really used it to begin with). I had a problem with one of the versions, it always shut down, but the last two versions seem to be stable (just upgraded to the newest sometime last week, haven't had any issues).

The only hardware issue I've ever had was with my external DVD burner. It's a Samsung with lightscribe, and is only supposed to work on a PC. I found some hack around it, added a disclabel program for the lightscribe and have never had an issue since.

If you download, use Azureus. If you need to convert, I use VisualHub. Can take a while, as any AVI->DVD will, but is flawless and has extra options. I actually paid the $20-25 for it, and would do it all over again :laugh:

If you have a PS3, I think it's "mediaserver" that can connect to it. I have yet to buy the program, but the limited trial worked flawlessly on the PS3.

I don't do any computer gaming, I have a 360 for that. I went Mac mostly for the better workflow with the heavy photo work I do. CS3 runs like clockwork on this. Not to mention if I need to (heaven forbid) run something on Windows, I can run it using Boot Camp.

I just need to find a program to let me write to my NTFS external drive now.

Congrats on the new computer.

As for a Mac being better than a pc...well that all depends on what you know. Mac's are good at certain things but are terrible at others. With enough money I can build a computer that would destroy a Mac six days a week and twice on Sunday's.

It all really comes down to personal preference though. Just for those who think I talking sh*t, I used to be in computers and not to toot my own horn but I do have quite a bit of knowledge in the field.

I enjoy these comments from people that "used to be in computers"

With enough money I could build a spaceship to mars too. Or I can take my quality piece of hardware out of the box and have it work correctly for the next 4 years.

The PC vs Mac argument will be endless because too many people will never use a Mac because they are prejudiced against them without ever even trying one.

BTW, Leopard supports NTFS. I have no problems utilizing NTFS external drives and partitions natively.

All that need be said in the PC vs. Mac war.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

they forgot the never get a virus bit, and if u do get a virus, its cuz u have a pc program, like word or some sh!t, which i find super handy :p

and i know d!ck about compoopers, i just know that in the year i have had mine, i have been virus free and its super freaking fast. and it stores memory more efficiently.

i think it takes a certain brain type to use either operating system. i'm fairly savvy with my pc, it's still running just as well as it was when i first bought it (it's 5 years old too). but when i try get onto and use a mac, i fell dumb. serisouly they are both computers with pretty much the same part (i.e. motherboard, cpu, video card, hard drive, etc..) and they use an icon based program to execute a function. but yeah i can't use macs for some strange reason. they just don't make sense to me, nothing is where i would think it should be. and i've tried to use them, i tried for about 2 years. and i still don't get it.

and VLC wont play everything, i use a combination of vlc and core media player. core will play pretty much anything, any format (with all the right codecs of course) and has better video quality (i dunno why), but if the video file has an error it will freeze at that point, where as vlc will just get a little hickup and skip right over it.

I enjoy these comments from people that "used to be in computers"

With enough money I could build a spaceship to mars too. Or I can take my quality piece of hardware out of the box and have it work correctly for the next 4 years.

The PC vs Mac argument will be endless because too many people will never use a Mac because they are prejudiced against them without ever even trying one.

BTW, Leopard supports NTFS. I have no problems utilizing NTFS external drives and partitions natively.

Just a thought, don't comment on stuff or people you don't know. I've used many macs in the past for a variation of things and know exactly what they do and don't.

Sure you can take your 'quality' piece of hardware out of the box and supposedly use it for four years straight but for the same money I could build a computer that will run flawlessly for the next four years and have done exactly that a number of times. You can debate all you want on a Pc versus mac or windows vs mac OS but the fact of the matter is it all comes down to the computer is only as good as the user.

And yes while I used to be in that field and am not currently I would still bet dollars to donuts I know more than you and that's not being cocky so don't be a weiner next time.

i think it takes a certain brain type to use either operating system. i'm fairly savvy with my pc, it's still running just as well as it was when i first bought it (it's 5 years old too). but when i try get onto and use a mac, i fell dumb. serisouly they are both computers with pretty much the same part (i.e. motherboard, cpu, video card, hard drive, etc..) and they use an icon based program to execute a function. but yeah i can't use macs for some strange reason. they just don't make sense to me, nothing is where i would think it should be. and i've tried to use them, i tried for about 2 years. and i still don't get it.

and VLC wont play everything, i use a combination of vlc and core media player. core will play pretty much anything, any format (with all the right codecs of course) and has better video quality (i dunno why), but if the video file has an error it will freeze at that point, where as vlc will just get a little hickup and skip right over it.

very nice indeed, i love the speed of my mac, using the school computers is like watching paint dry in comparison, and i didnt have to install my printer either, it was already recognized by just plugging it in. i use adium for my aim server instead of iChat tho, had a little glitch in upgrading, but i think i solved it, its far nicer. and iono what you use for media player, but i downloaded VLC and there isn't much it wont play (tho quicktime is becoming more widely used.)

VLC if your interested---->VLC

anyhow grats on the new laptop :)

never said it would play everything, just most things, and the only thing i ever had any problem viewing was .avi and .wmp and VLC does play both of those.

never heard of core tho, will look it up today. thx :)

and i agree, there are mac ppl and pc ppl.. i became a mac person after having to many pc's take a crap on me. thats not to say everyone has this issue, but as I lack the knowledge to fix a computer, i'd rather have a mac that hasn't given me a problem. i don't hate ppl for loving pc's however, the way that as there are mac fan-boys there are always mac bashers. ever notice that? sokay, i guess i just don't attach any emotional value to my computer.. unless of course its broken, in which case i then run thru a multitude of emotions, none of which are good.

Archived