Custom Exhaust, little help?

Orca89

Ok, after spending hours trying to get the exhaust fixed up to the point where it would pass inspection, and causing new problems every time we fix an old one, my Dad is going to pay for a new exhaust system. Mitch said I should be able to get a custom one for about $300. Monroe would charge me $500 to replace everything behind the catalytic converter, since we replaced that while trying to fix the leaks. Anyone know of a chain or just somewhere I could go for one a bit cheaper around southern PA?

Again for the last time! >_< I paid $180.00 for catback from very good local shop! Stay the hell away from Midas, Monroe, and Mienake(spelling) Find a good shop, and take it to them on a slow day, have it inspected, and say while its up there, what will you charge me to do it right now?

2.25" piping, 20" resonator, and a turbo muffler, with a Magnaflow tip FTMFW! Save green get nice deep sounding, inspection passing exhaust! :thumbsup:

HPIM1195-1.jpgHPIM1194-1.jpg

Again for the last time! >_< I paid $180.00 for catback from very good local shop! Stay the hell away from Midas, Monroe, and Mienake(spelling) Find a good shop, and take it to them on a slow day, have it inspected, and say while its up there, what will you charge me to do it right now?

2.25" piping, 20" resonator, and a turbo muffler, with a Magnaflow tip FTMFW! Save green get nice deep sounding, inspection passing exhaust! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know. I was just hoping someone could actually name a place nearby, save me some time trying to figure out which one's good.

Thread jacking my own jack because I don't feel like making a new one.

Anyway, finally found a shop that'd do the exhaust for dirt cheap, $291 after tax. Took it for inspection today... still won't pass. I need a battery hold down (easy enough). The left headlight mount is busted because the frame is bent... guess I'll figure out a way to rig that so it'll work(think a metal strap will do it?). The left upper ball joint needs to be replaced.. I'll probably try to do that myself. I need a new right axel nut, and I just need to grab a chisel and lock in the left one. There's a nail in the left rear tire... not sure what to do about that.

And, finally, what I really need help with.

P1000326.jpg

There's a vacuum hose for the old engine... Problem is, I've got a 96 Del Sol SiR engine that doesn't use it. It won't pass inspection unless that hose is plugged in somewhere, or not there. Found out about a shop that used to specialize in Hondas, should I just take it there, or is there a way I can take care of it myself?

Thread jacking my own jack because I don't feel like making a new one.

Anyway, finally found a shop that'd do the exhaust for dirt cheap, $291 after tax. Took it for inspection today... still won't pass. I need a battery hold down (easy enough). The left headlight mount is busted because the frame is bent... guess I'll figure out a way to rig that so it'll work(think a metal strap will do it?). The left upper ball joint needs to be replaced.. I'll probably try to do that myself. I need a new right axel nut, and I just need to grab a chisel and lock in the left one. There's a nail in the left rear tire... not sure what to do about that.

And, finally, what I really need help with.

P1000326.jpg

There's a vacuum hose for the old engine... Problem is, I've got a 96 Del Sol SiR engine that doesn't use it. It won't pass inspection unless that hose is plugged in somewhere, or not there. Found out about a shop that used to specialize in Hondas, should I just take it there, or is there a way I can take care of it myself?

Pull the hose?

That's what I was thinking...just pull it. What does the other end go to? Looks like it goes to the brake booster. I'd just pull the hose and go to a hardware hose and find a black cap of some kind to pop over wherever the hose comes out of.

Well, I'll give that a shot... hopefully it'll work. PA's a bit anal with mods and aftermarket anything, so we'll see.

A lot of stock vehicles come with caps over unused vacuum ports. They're just there for added options that need vacuum for operation. If the inspector gives you crap just tell him that's the way the car came from the factory.

Took it to Honda for an alignment, asked them to inspect it while they were at it. Passed with flying colors. But they're not going to align it until I replace the left front control arm, as it took some damage in the meeting with the guard rail that the PO had. Found control arms online for $75, call my buddy and spend a few hours swapping it out, take it in for alignment, and I'm done. And I finally got a response about a job, so I might just be able to pay for all of this after all. Suffice to say, I'm having a good day.

Honda didn't even mention it. Go figure, went to a shop because my buddy said the exhaust would pass there while it wouldn't at Honda... and they found $500 of things to fix that Honda didn't even blink at. The nail just had to be pulled, no need for a patch 'cause it barely made it into the tread. The end is finally in sight, after just over $1000 in repairs. $4k for a 93 Samba Green Del Sol Si, 96 SiR engine swap with about 75,000 miles on it... I can live with that, hehe.

Archived