My search for a new(used) car

CleanGSR

Well I've got 2 people interested in buying my integra and 1 is going tomorrow to try and get a loan so I figured I'd better start looking for a new car (I'll need one quick if mine sells). This thread is basically a way for me to track potential cars I'd be interested in.

Requirements:

4 doors

mid 90's civic

Ligher colored

Decent interior/exterior condition

1995 or older would be nice since it would be cheap to have it tuned for gas mileage

1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan

White

Auto tranny

177,000 miles

Location - St. Louis, MO

Distance - 1 - 1.5 hours

Price - $3,995

Link

1995 Honda Civic DX Sedan MOST POTENTIAL PROSPECT

Gray (I can live with gray)

Auto Tranny

162,000 miles

Location - Springfield, MO

Distance - 2 hours, but this is 5 minutes from the parents house so it would be the easiest

Price - $3,995

Link

1994 Honda Civic DX Sedan

Gray

Manual Tranny

180,000 miles

Location - Memphis, TN

Distance - 5 hours

Price - $3,990

Link

....and the last is one that my dad offered me and doesn't help my decision

1995 Del Sol VTEC

World Rally Blue (STI Blue) paint

Rota Circuit 8's - 16's

Yokohama Avid H4s tires

Tein Springs

112,000 miles

$4,000

He said he'd rather sell it to me for that cheap and keep it in the family. That's a steal on that car though practicality is out the window. 2 seater so I could never take my wife and son both with me. Passenger side airbag, so my son wouldn't be safe unless I removed the air bag (which is technically illegal). Blah, blah, blah. It's not really even an option considering the chances of convincing my wife would be zero, but oh well.

Edit: Pretty much every car linked above I would offer closer to $3500 since that closer to blue book. They all appear to be in top condition though which is worth a lot to me.

I'll sell you this 95 4-door civ 5spd I just got for $1,000 after I swap the suspension for stock. It needs an interior though. I can't believe ppl are asking $4k for one of these things! WTF!? Where do you live? I need to start exporting civic's there. haha I can get them all day long for like $2k....and not all raggedy like this one I just bought. Without the teins, he would have sold it for like $400.

edit: all in all, I've got roughly $4k in my RSX type-S w/ 84k mi.

I'll sell you this 95 4-door civ 5spd I just got for $1,000 after I swap the suspension for stock. It needs an interior though. I can't believe ppl are asking $4k for one of these things! WTF!? Where do you live? I need to start exporting civic's there. haha I can get them all day long for like $2k....and not all raggedy like this one I just bought. Without the teins, he would have sold it for like $400.

edit: all in all, I've got roughly $4k in my RSX type-S w/ 84k mi.

So for 2 grand you can get me a late 90's civic, fully loaded, 0 rust and incredible body condition, perfect interior and good mechanically? I've never seen anything like that for 2 grand and every 2,000 car I ever see has plenty of rust and body damage.

I can't take on a project like yours. I have no time to work on cars anymore plus I wouldn't trust something with 272,000 miles to get me 100 miles for work everyday. Thanks for the offer though.

Here's another option

1998 Civic LX Sedan

Silver

121,000 miles

Manual Tranny

$4200

Link

1992 Integra 4 door

Mileage unkown

Manual Tranny

A bunch of rear quarter panel rust

$2200

Link

^^That's the kind of stuff I always see in the $2000 price range....not out of the question though.

Another option:

1991 Honda Civic Wagon (Wagovan) I love these things

219k miles (eek)

R/T 4wd (Sweet)

Manual Tranny

Body Nearly perfect with no rust

Light Blue

$3500

But....it's in Cali so it would cost a plane ticket or two for me and a buddy to fly out and drive it home.

Link

Only one I'm interested in after thinking about them is the white 98 LX which I would offer $3500.

However......I just found a 1988 Toyota Camry 4 door in good shape runs well and no problems...new tires $850!!!. I think I'm going to see if I can go ahead and get my folks to loan me the money. It would only take me about 2 months to pay them back if my car sells and then I'd have no payments....liability insurance which would be next to nothing.....Huge help.

Here's the link to the camry.

Link

no offense, but that camry is one of the ugliest things ive seen.

you will hate yourself forever when you start driving it compared to the teg.

but i understand your position.

too bad you cant find a 4 dr gsr

no offense, but that camry is one of the ugliest things ive seen.

you will hate yourself forever when you start driving it compared to the teg.

but i understand your position.

too bad you cant find a 4 dr gsr

Actually, my wife had a Camry identical to that (except Gray) when I met her and I drove it for quite awhile as my daily. It drove very nice and while ugly, it was a good car and I didn't mind driving it one bit. This one looks to be in better shape than hers which is why I know that I wouldn't hate myself forever. I only need something to get me by for about a year until she graduates and the camry looks like a potential solve to that problem.

Here we go....found a 1992 Civic 4 door, dark blue, 170k miles, a/c, power everything, cruise control, etc...

$2300

Link

That's more like it.

You guys are right that some of the first ones I posted are a bit high, but seriously....find me something comparable for less money. I've found a few, but they would require about $200 in a plane ticket, and $500 in food, gas, and motel to fly out and drive it back.

Agree with the others: Those prices on the civics are awful.

mine:

1995 Civic DX Sedan 205k MT

Exterior was clean

No rust

Paint wasn't faded

Nice H alloys with decent tread

Interior was complete but quite dirty

Drove it home for $1100 cash

I had to install an alternator the first week. Otherwise, nothing needed to be done.

First one on Columbus craigslist:

01 Civic Sedan

60k Auto Trans

Gold exterior, tan interior

$3500

96 Civic Sedan

127k Auto

White/Gray - has a black hood rest of body is a shade rough but doesn't look like any major rust.

$2200

94 Civic Sedan

146k 5spd

Purple/Gray with a little rust

$2500

They are out there in great numbers.

That first link you posted has to be salvaged title or something...that's way cheap.

I'll give you $1500 for your car Xeryon. :)

I'm going to try not to rush into buying something, but my family won't survive very long with one car, so I'll have to decide quick.....hopefully this sale goes through with my car and it's not all for nothing.

It's worth a shade more then original price now....

BTW, I LOVE my rear discs with the brembos and ceramic pads. Car stops on a dime!

I know the one-car problems and I don't even have any little ones like you do.

If you were closer I would loan you a vehicle to use for however long it took you to find what you wanted/needed.

It's worth a shade more then original price now....

BTW, I LOVE my rear discs with the brembos and ceramic pads. Car stops on a dime!

I know the one-car problems and I don't even have any little ones like you do.

If you were closer I would loan you a vehicle to use for however long it took you to find what you wanted/needed.

Thanks man....that's a really nice offer even if it's not possible. I just hope I don't end up with something that I end up having to sink a bunch of money into.

Oh, and if you are selling do you mind selling me your extended top hats? :thumbsup:

Whats your zip code nate? I like searching for cars even if it is for other people.

Extended Top Hats are going with the car since they are a pretty vital part of me being dropped 3.5 inches without blowing the shocks. Zip Code is 65559.

Hey that "1992 Civic 4 door, dark blue, 170k miles" one looks like a winner. I'd jump on it.

Yeah, if it is still there when my car sells (hopefully next week if all goes as planned) then I'll probably jump on it. It looks like about the best deal I've come across so far. If I can't find a good deal on anything, I might just settle for the Camry for awhile since I could pretty much pay cash for it.

Yea Nate. I got my 01 Civic for $4500. Find some better prices.

But do you prefer AT or MT? I know you like your cruise control (as do I) and you travel a lot, so I was thinking you might want to go AT (even though MT is more fun).

I dunno if the wife drives MT either? That might be something to consider if she ever needs to use the car.

Tell your dad I'll take the sol off his hands though.

Yea Nate. I got my 01 Civic for $4500. Find some better prices.

But do you prefer AT or MT? I know you like your cruise control (as do I) and you travel a lot, so I was thinking you might want to go AT (even though MT is more fun).

I dunno if the wife drives MT either? That might be something to consider if she ever needs to use the car.

Tell your dad I'll take the sol off his hands though.

I'd perfer an auto tranny so the wife can drive it sometimes too. Whatever I get will never get modded beyond possibly a set of Tein S-tech springs so being an auto is actually a plus. Cruise Control would be nice since I do 80+ miles of all highway driving a day. It helps with gas mileage and helps keep from accidentally speeding but it's not really a requirement for me (I could always do an aftermarket cruise for a couple hundred bucks).

My dad would never sell the sol for that cheap to anybody but me.

Plenty of manuals come with cruise cont.

...and that camry sounds like the type of deal that you could just drive it temp. and resell it for basically the same price. Probably more if you detail it. :)

I agree on the Camry (or something comparable) to keep you with a vehicle until you can actually find a deal, because you will be able to find a Civic for much less with less mileage as well within a short period of time (although perhaps not as short as you may need). Hope all goes well with the sale of the GSR

Plenty of manuals come with cruise cont.

I know this...because mine does :thumbsup:

I just figured AT would be more practical and easier for him and his wife. Especially with his long commute.

I know traffic on the highway pisses me off driving a manual (stop-and-go traffic, that is)

With an AT all he has to worry about is "Gas, brake, honk. Gas, brake, honk. Honk, honk, punch. Gas, gas gas!"

Archived