putting together a new PC

here are some items i will be using to put together a new pc

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131325

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103773

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130318

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002

RAM: Unsure what matches this mobo, it says DDR2 but there are a bunch of differnt kinds of those too.

i'll be stealing the dvd burner, 250gb hard drive, floppy drive, and maybe the case (if teh vid card fits) from my old computer.

all together from newegg should keep me right around $500, which i should be able to scrounge up within the next month or 2.

in the meantime, i overclocked my current graphics card too much (asylum geforce fx 5200) and now it's getting artifacts and crashing. I can't even start my computer up long enough for me to change the clock speed back to normal. so basically i'm stuck with a crashing vid card, or the craptastic onboard intel video card. is there a way that i can change the clock speed through my bios, the card only crashed after about 2 minutes in windows, but works fine in DOS or system bios setup. i've tried using powerstrip and rivatuner whil plugged in to the onboard card but since i'm not hooked into the geforce card it doesn't recognize it, and doesn't give me an option to change it.

Get a MAC.

:p

Excellent suggestion.

Yeah if you want overpriced and non-world standard operating systems. Why not spend $30-$50 more and go quad-core?

Wrong on several accounts.

Two thumbs up for going to newegg for your parts. Can't beat them.

As for your video card, who cares about fixing an fx5200? You can buy a working used one on ebay for $20, if that much if you are not ready to make the full computer purchase yet.

After building 1000+ custom computers in my short professional life I have entirely given up on such ventures. I am simply sick of doing it and beyond using newegg for your parts I will refrain from injecting my opinions any further on this. My only advice: buy hardware with a separate manufacturer warranty. Don't cheap out and save $10 by purchasing an OEM. Spend the little extra and buy the retail boxed merchandise (cpu, memory, hard drive, etc) and get your full warranty.

Ever thought of making your 250Gig drive a slave and going with a smaller faster hard drive? Been a while since I built last computer, but thats the direction I was thinking of heading! :thumbsup:

Nice power supply BTW! :drool:

I could do that, I have a 30gb hd that is alot faster, good suggestion

Get a MAC.

:p

i had to use macs alot in the past for photoediting, and i've used them recently and i jjust can't get the hang of them. i used to hate them because the ones we used for photo editing would crash all the time but now i honestly don't really see anything wrong with them, other than they just don't make much sense to me. so i'll just stick with wondows

Yeah if you want overpriced and non-world standard operating systems. Why not spend $30-$50 more and go quad-core?

this processor has the highest rating and several awards. i wan't something that has been around a little while so that i know the bugs have been worked out.

Two thumbs up for going to newegg for your parts. Can't beat them.

As for your video card, who cares about fixing an fx5200? You can buy a working used one on ebay for $20, if that much if you are not ready to make the full computer purchase yet.

After building 1000+ custom computers in my short professional life I have entirely given up on such ventures. I am simply sick of doing it and beyond using newegg for your parts I will refrain from injecting my opinions any further on this. My only advice: buy hardware with a separate manufacturer warranty. Don't cheap out and save $10 by purchasing an OEM. Spend the little extra and buy the retail boxed merchandise (cpu, memory, hard drive, etc) and get your full warranty.

where could i get a seperate warranty on parts like these? that's the biggest thing with newegg is they rarely refund your purchase, and if they do they charge you a reshelving fee. I really don't want to buy a preassmbled computer from dell or some other company because that would cost me three times as much, and they include so much intrusive software that slows things down and keeps you from making any upgrades other than what you can buy from them. for example we wanted to upgrade our family computer's RAM but dell only had made the RAM required for that computer, so it ended up costing so much more that we couldn't upgrade as much as we wanted.

Sounds like a good setup for a tight budget. I just built my pc and finally got all the kinks worked out but this is my first ASUS motherboard and I dunno why but it is picky with my hard drives and I have tried different varations but finally got it setup.

I never had that problem with my old MSI motherboard.

but with this motherboard I am stuck with a intel...

AMD FTW.

I tried to do what you are going to do, a small hard drive as a primary and a big hard drive for a slave but the motherboard didn't like it so I got two 80 gigs hooked up, a 20 gig for music storage as well and my two dvd burners.

Dude, you're gettin a Dell!

Disclaimer: Dell sucks.

lol no i'm not getting a dell for the above reasons. they come with dell support and norton and other crap like that. I HATE norton, always butting in and slowing everything down. and God forbid you try to shut it down.

Sounds like a good setup for a tight budget. I just built my pc and finally got all the kinks worked out but this is my first ASUS motherboard and I dunno why but it is picky with my hard drives and I have tried different varations but finally got it setup.

I never had that problem with my old MSI motherboard.

but with this motherboard I am stuck with a intel...

AMD FTW.

I tried to do what you are going to do, a small hard drive as a primary and a big hard drive for a slave but the motherboard didn't like it so I got two 80 gigs hooked up, a 20 gig for music storage as well and my two dvd burners.

I am running a WD drive as my primary but not a raptor... :( I wish. but 7200rpm is not bad.

Don't ever buy a samsung drive. FTL... WD FTW.

when i was doing some research online alot of people swore by asus boards. they seemed to be the most stable, according to alot of the online reviews. my budget is basically around $500 but if anyone else has any better suggestions then i'm all ears.

and i'm happy with my 7200 rpm HD so far, i like gaming and i'm into first person shooter like cs-source, battle feild 2, and unreal tournament, and it seems like first person shooters are all switching over to consoles, so an insane system is not required. plus i prefer stability and longevity over performence. so far the last 3 lan parties i've been to everyone only wanted to play real time strategy or RPG's and the only one of those games i like is WOW.

for example we wanted to upgrade our family computer's RAM but dell only had made the RAM required for that computer, so it ended up costing so much more that we couldn't upgrade as much as we wanted.

Untrue. No Dell system ever made uses proprietary memory.

As for warranty. When you buy parts from Newegg they tell you if it is OEM or Retail. The warranty info is in the details for each product. Most name brand equipment, such as Asus, Seagate, Intel and AMD offer 3 year warranties on retail products. Most of your top tier memory and video card manufacturers offer lifetime warranties provided you retain your reciept and it does not exhibit signs of overclocking. Be careful when buying hard drives. I know specifically Maxtor and WD both dropped 3 year down to 1 year warranties on their primary lines of hard drives. You have to use one of thier better lines to get the 3 year now.

As for warranty. When you buy parts from Newegg they tell you if it is OEM or Retail. The warranty info is in the details for each product. Most name brand equipment, such as Asus, Seagate, Intel and AMD offer 3 year warranties on retail products. Most of your top tier memory and video card manufacturers offer lifetime warranties provided you retain your reciept and it does not exhibit signs of overclocking. Be careful when buying hard drives. I know specifically Maxtor and WD both dropped 3 year down to 1 year warranties on their primary lines of hard drives. You have to use one of thier better lines to get the 3 year now.

I believe he's talking about RD RAM. Oh, how it was a major fail.

RDRAM itself wasn't a fail. DDR was cheaper and won the battle. Original DDR was slower then RDRAM too. You can still buy RDRAM. They make and install it in ultra high-end workstations and servers.

Even if it was RDRAM the memory is not proprietary.

When I worked production at HP, we called Maxstor, shouldstor drives! :thumbsup: In the begining they were buying failed Lynx drives from HP, and sellng them as smaller Maxstore drives! So stay the hell away from them! :crazy:

Archived