Small pick up

Whats up. I want a small pick up like a ford ranger or chevy s10. What do you guys think? What brand would be a better buy. I have not talked about domestic cars for so long so I need to ask what mileage im I looking for 100,000 is what I am finding most of the picks up i can afford at. If i remember 150,000 is getting a lot for domestic? thanks

Ya I was also looking at those, but I am not finding any for sale on craigslist. I do not want to get one from a dealer. You know what they get on gas?

Toyota Tacoma, period. You will not find a better compact pickup, guaranteed.

agreed. drove a '99 for the winters in VT and they are awesome trucks

I had a '97 s10. Best vehicle i have ever owned. It had like 140k on when i bought it and i never once had a problem with it in the 2 1/2 years i owned it. If you can afford the gas, get an s10 with the 4.3 in it. Its a pretty bullet proof motor.

Go Toyota. How small? You could probably find one of their older pre-Tacoma trucks for little to nothing. Toyotas will run forever, even if not maintained the best.

toyota is also doing a recall on their older models, or maybe all model trucks. there was a problem with the frame rusting or something, ours never had it because we took care of it. but the dealerships are offereing 150% of the KBB value on the trucks. so you could go buy one, then sell it to the dealership, make some money, and then buy a nicer one

toyota is also doing a recall on their older models, or maybe all model trucks. there was a problem with the frame rusting or something, ours never had it because we took care of it. but the dealerships are offereing 150% of the KBB value on the trucks. so you could go buy one, then sell it to the dealership, make some money, and then buy a nicer one

Win-win.

i really didn't like the toyota trucks when we were looking for a new truck for chris. I say go with a ranger. they're good, sturdy & pretty cheap. Chris flipped his in the middle of rush hour traffic on 40, clear across the entire highway, and still got out and walked away with a bruise.

01+ tacoma's. the frame has a weak spot and is cracking/breaking. they gave my buddy $13000 for his '01 and he only paid $9500 for it. Most places are giving 150% value for the truck so they don't get sued later.

lol. apart from my cars (which ive had no say in) my family's always had fords. I really didn't like the Silverado when we looked at it... as far as trucks go, I'm all about some F150's. but if i can't have that, then I can settle for a dodge ram

a 90's boxy body S-10 those are freakishly clean if done right... my step dad had one and it went 250,000+ miles then the tranny started going bad, so we swapped the tranny and it lasted until he sold it 200,000 miles later, its still running. he's seen running around :thumbsup:

also me and my step dad co - owned a 96 full size extended cab GMC and it went 210,000 miles then the tranny started whining like the S-10 so we swapped it as well, he sold it about a year ago. when he sold it the truck had 300,000+ miles on it and it is still running as well... GM trucks are great trucks if you dont dogg the hell out of them, it just seems that the tranny goes out at about 200,000 to 300,000 miles... but a rebuilt tranny doesnt cost too much...

well i was going to mention the tacoma myself, the 2wd's ride/drive like a car, the 4wd's ride like a truck, and they dont get stuck very often within reason out in the woods. but second to that id say a dakota.

i had an 03 ranger and it was fine till i was in the accident. if you get a ranger NEVER buy an automatic (automatics in the rangers always have problems and they suck up waaay to much power). if you go for the 4.0 V6 listen to the engine for a ticking sound around where the timing chain is because they have an issue with the pre 2001 (i think) models. the s10's have a more car like interior but the chassis on them seems weak to me (at least with the ones I've ridden/driven) and the interior tends to fall apart. they are also a little floppy feeling around corners. the manual trannies on the s10's are a little rougher than the rangers. if you are over 6'4" make sure you get the extended cab. the Tacoma is great as far as reliability. the only bad thing is i can't drive the single cab because my knees hit the steering wheel when trying to shift (Tacoma). 4 cyl and 3.0v6 rangers are bulletproof, the 4.3l in the s10 is really strong too (i don't know anything about the 4cyl s10's or the 3.8L rangers). the Tacoma's are monsters, you can throw anything at them and they still run (seen ones running without oil pans, on 2 cylinders, one's where the oil was so bad it looked like black vasaline, but the seats in the earlier models are a little uncomfortable on long rides. the Toyota sr5 pickups came with the torquiest little engines, all i had to do was let the clutch out without any gas and the truck would just go right up my driveway (1992 sr5 4x4).

i personally can't stand Chrysler products, the people in my area have given them a bad name (everyone who drives a dodge pickup in my area has serious small penis syndrome) so you would have to ask others about them. hope i didn't make things any harder

oh and if you plan to modify your truck:

if its an s10 i would suggest lowering it (narrow wheel base on them makes them roll happy so no lifts unless you do ALOT of work, and the chassis isn't strong enough)

if its a ranger they make great prerunners and are a little more solid, you can lower it if you like but it's not my preference

tacomas are pretty good little mudders and trail rigs but can also be lowered

for lift kits for rangers i recommend camburg, for lift kits for tacomas i recommend total chaos

• 4 weeks later...

Archived