Iphone 3g discussion

So lets start up an official Iphone 3g discussion. We aren't due to upgrade for a couple months yet, but looking at the IPhone pretty seriously. I'm kinda leaning away from it though due to the imprisonmnet you seem to be stuck into with the 3g's plan.

Things I don't like:

I would like to get an Iphone 3g for both myself and my wife. I'd want the data plan on mine but not hers since she only needs it to have a double Ipod + Phone. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get it for her without the data plan.....not ready to spend $130/month for our cell phones.

Second, you get charged an upgrade fee? What the crap is that all about. Every single time I've upgraded my phone in the past I've never been charged any kind of fee. I just activate the new sim and go (or just throw in my old sim).

Third, you have to go to an AT&T store to have it activated. So I can't just use the phone or activate from home? What's that about? Plus they'll run a background check, credit report, need Driver's license, SSN, Blood Donation, and probably my son as collateral.

This seems like a lot of crap for a phone, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm leaning toward grabbing a couple of Pantech Duos and slap a 2gig card in each for music. Not as good as the iphone, but at least I won't have a chain around my neck.

they used to just sell it to you in the store and then you activated it on itunes. i think they changed that because all the people buying the phone just to hack it and get free service lol.

the upgrade fee im not sure about, ill be changing over to the 3g from my iphone but didnt hear anything about an upgrade fee. you dont have at&t anyway do you? if not then you shouldnt be charged with an upgrade fee.

the data plan is like a standard on the phone. you MIGHT be able to see if you could get that taken off, but thats like the whole basis around the iphone, is its date and internet capabilities. if your wife doesnt want/need that i would just have her get a different phone from at&t and you get the iphone haha.

im definitly getting the 3g, it sucks because i did pay 399 for mine, but i am ALWAYS on the internet and the 3g is twice as fast as my phone now (apparently) and it has cool navigation and stuff in it.

they used to just sell it to you in the store and then you activated it on itunes. i think they changed that because all the people buying the phone just to hack it and get free service lol.

the upgrade fee im not sure about, ill be changing over to the 3g from my iphone but didnt hear anything about an upgrade fee. you dont have at&t anyway do you? if not then you shouldnt be charged with an upgrade fee.

the data plan is like a standard on the phone. you MIGHT be able to see if you could get that taken off, but thats like the whole basis around the iphone, is its date and internet capabilities. if your wife doesnt want/need that i would just have her get a different phone from at&t and you get the iphone haha.

im definitly getting the 3g, it sucks because i did pay 399 for mine, but i am ALWAYS on the internet and the 3g is twice as fast as my phone now (apparently) and it has cool navigation and stuff in it.

I do already have at&t but they say on their site now that an $18 upgrade fee will be applied. Sure it's not a lot but it's the principle of charging an upgrade fee when they never have on any other phones.

Like I said in my first post, my wife has wanted and ipod for quite awhile now and she also needs a new phone. It would be really nice to have it all in one package for her so she had less things to carry. She would never use the web or any of the data stuff so the data plan would be a complete waste on her phone.

I'm a little curious as to whether they'll let me get an Iphone + data plan and my wife get a regular phone (like the Pantech Duo + 2gb card) without data. If so then that might be the way to go.

I really like the idea of having the GPS on the new iphone, but I can't help but wonder if that will cost extra to use every month. The AT&T Tilt has GPS but the subscription for the GPS costs another $10/month. If that's the case then there's another thing that will suck.

Edit: It would be really nice if they would offer a family data plan for like $45-50 a month. That would at least offset the cost for 2 phones a little bit for me to justify getting it when my wife won't use the data portion.

i would just give a call to a local at&t place or go to an apple store to ask about the family plans. im sure they have something that they could help you out with. and i think the gps is included in the data plan.

shouldnt they not charge you an upgrade fee, especially if in a couple months your agreement will be over so you could upgrade? that is pretty stupid.

Im not big on Iphones, they seem over-rated to me. I like the "freedom" I have with my phone. If I break it I can fix it cheaply, without sending it in. I also like being able to replace the battery and I hate touchscreen typing, I just use my full keyboard for it.

As for the Pantech Duo, I thought about getting it, but read bad reviews about it only lasting a couple of months before breaking and the battery life sucked. I would reccomend the Tilt, like I have, but many people say its too big. If thats your case, the BlackJack II is nice.

BTW, I have just as much storage in my tilt as my friend does in his Iphone. I would have more, but the microsdhc cards with a capacity of more than 8 gigs hasnt yet been released....

Im not big on Iphones, they seem over-rated to me. I like the "freedom" I have with my phone. If I break it I can fix it cheaply, without sending it in. I also like being able to replace the battery and I hate touchscreen typing, I just use my full keyboard for it.

As for the Pantech Duo, I thought about getting it, but read bad reviews about it only lasting a couple of months before breaking and the battery life sucked. I would reccomend the Tilt, like I have, but many people say its too big. If thats your case, the BlackJack II is nice.

BTW, I have just as much storage in my tilt as my friend does in his Iphone. I would have more, but the microsdhc cards with a capacity of more than 8 gigs hasnt yet been released....

Can the Tilt use SDHC Cards? I thought I read that the Tilt could only use regular SD cards which max out at 2gb.

Two problem's with the tilt. 1. Bigger than the Iphone which makes it unpractable for my wife to use as an mp3 player when working out. 2. It costs $100 more than the Iphone (not counting the 8gb SDHC card that I'll have to purchase per phone).

I use a Treo 650 now and look forward to something a little smaller hence my looking at the Pantech Duo. I like the dual slider but it's limited to 2gb cards. Plus even the Pantech is bulky compared to the Iphone. If it breaks after 2 months then it should still be under a 1 year warranty.(at least I would think so).

Edit: The tilt is actually twice the cost of the iphone since the tilt's rebate is contigent on a data plan. It ranks in at a hefty $399 which is too much for us.....I'm looking to spend that amount for both of us.

honestly, iphone is more advanced than any phone out there. i know im one sided since i own one, but they are definitly not over-rated. an amazing piece of technology. user interface is incredible and cannot be imitated by any of the phones out there.

nate - oh i see it. ill have to pay that fee too.

What do I do with my current iPhone?

Hand it off to a friend or family member. Learn how to activate.

since i wont need my iphone i have now, i could sell you mine if you wanted for your wife to save you some money, since she wouldnt really need the upgrades that the 3g offer (just using the phone and ipod). mine has 8g of space too, just like the 3g offers (the 199 one).

honestly, iphone is more advanced than any phone out there. i know im one sided since i own one, but they are definitly not over-rated. an amazing piece of technology. user interface is incredible and cannot be imitated by any of the phones out there.

nate - oh i see it. ill have to pay that fee too.

What do I do with my current iPhone?

Hand it off to a friend or family member. Learn how to activate.

since i wont need my iphone i have now, i could sell you mine if you wanted for your wife to save you some money, since she wouldnt really need the upgrades that the 3g offer (just using the phone and ipod). mine has 8g of space too, just like the 3g offers (the 199 one).

I'm interested. PM me how much you'd want for it and I'll see about doing that maybe instead of the 3g. Are you able to use yours without the data plan if you wanted?

that im not sure of, im not sure what they are going to offer for the old iphone once the 3g is out. from what i remember when i did it on itunes i had a choice of the 3 plans they had available (59 69 79 i think).

btw the iphone drops july 11th, so i wont be getting it till like probably the end of the month. you can pm me if ya want but i wont want a butload for it since the 3g is only 199 now lol.

that im not sure of, im not sure what they are going to offer for the old iphone once the 3g is out. from what i remember when i did it on itunes i had a choice of the 3 plans they had available (59 69 79 i think).

btw the iphone drops july 11th, so i wont be getting it till like probably the end of the month. you can pm me if ya want but i wont want a butload for it since the 3g is only 199 now lol.

Cool. Just remember me when you actually do the upgrade and I'll most likely take it off your hands. I'll have to check around though and see if I can activate it for her without a data plan, but we can talk more when you actually upgrade your phone.

The Tilt can handle sdhc, hence the 8 gig one I have in my phone. It was only about $40 for the card too.

What about the BlackJack II I mentioned? Its a small phone, but I dont know if it supports SDHC or just normal SD. But it is a small, reasonably priced phone with many features.

The new iphone still doesnt have picture messaging, you have to send it via email which is fine for other users with iphones, but no one else. also, if someone wants to send you a picture, you cant access it unless you can see it via the web somewhere else.

Still doesnt take video.

the camera is still the same 2mp as before

the sizes are still the 8 gb and 16gb

no live tv

here is a full article: click

The Tilt can handle sdhc, hence the 8 gig one I have in my phone. It was only about $40 for the card too.

What about the BlackJack II I mentioned? Its a small phone, but I dont know if it supports SDHC or just normal SD. But it is a small, reasonably priced phone with many features.

I'm checking out the BlackJack II now and that actually looks like a very viable option. I was also considering the Palm Centro, but I feel that Palm's OS/User Interface is a little bit behind the times and far too plain and lacking.

Don't forget that the new iphone data plan is $10/month more than it currently is for iphone users.

So that extra, $10/month x 2-year contract = $240 extra + $199 3GiPhone = $439 to switch to the new iphone. Plus, you are now saying there is an $18 upgrade fee to boot. So, the new iphone isn't any cheaper than the old. Oh, and that $40/month data plan doesn't include any sms messaging.

Old iPhone users will get a software upgrade to match that of the new iPhone 3G, so I think the only thing the new iPhone gives you is 3G and real non-turnbyturn GPS. Oh, and a cheap plastic back instead of nice aluminum. (fingerprints watch out). I'm not sure if the old phones with upgraded software will have Exchange Server capabilities.

Also, unless you live in a more popular city, the 3G coverage is dismal, although it is getting better. Take a look for yourself. http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/ Zoom in and then click the blue 3G check box.

I personally don't own an iPhone and hate ATT. I use T-Mobile, cuz it's cheap.

I'm sporting the Razr2 at the moment.

785.jpg

The new iphone still doesnt have picture messaging, you have to send it via email which is fine for other users with iphones, but no one else. also, if someone wants to send you a picture, you cant access it unless you can see it via the web somewhere else.

Still doesnt take video.

the camera is still the same 2mp as before

the sizes are still the 8 gb and 16gb

no live tv

here is a full article: click

when i first got iphone i thought "wow this sucks i cant recieve picture msgs blah blah"..its not that big of a deal. i rarely get picture texts anyway, and even so, who gives a crap. same thing with the video. if i want to take a video ill grab my video camera.

tv, who needs a damn phone to watch tv. again, no big deal to me. and the sizes are more than adequate..i have a ton of room left on my 8gb and i have like 800 songs on it.

nate - np, ill let you know when/if i get it.

Drew - true, they give you a crappy text messaging, with only 500 included. i upgraded for like 10 bucks to 1500 and i NEVEr go over it. again im not glued to my phone texting people 24/7, so i guess i really dont apply there. i mostly use it for the internet to be honest lol.

Don't forget that the new iphone data plan is $10/month more than it currently is for iphone users.

So that extra, $10/month x 2-year contract = $240 extra + $199 3GiPhone = $439 to switch to the new iphone. Plus, you are now saying there is an $18 upgrade fee to boot. So, the new iphone isn't any cheaper than the old. Oh, and that $40/month data plan doesn't include any sms messaging.

Old iPhone users will get a software upgrade to match that of the new iPhone 3G, so I think the only thing the new iPhone gives you is 3G and real non-turnbyturn GPS. Oh, and a cheap plastic back instead of nice aluminum. (fingerprints watch out). I'm not sure if the old phones with upgraded software will have Exchange Server capabilities.

Also, unless you live in a more popular city, the 3G coverage is dismal, although it is getting better. Take a look for yourself. http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/ Zoom in and then click the blue 3G check box.

I personally don't own an iPhone and hate ATT. I use T-Mobile, cuz it's cheap.

I'm sporting the Razr2 at the moment.

785.jpg

Yeah, I knew all of that, but the data plan will be $30, not 40. It doesn't effect me as much as current Iphone users. $30/month is the same as all other smartphones, so the Iphone costs the same now instead of less. Nobody has nearly the coverage in my area as AT&T so I'm kind of stuck with them. I'm definitely leaning toward the Blackjack II now though as it will hold up to 4gb with the seperate card and seems to have all the features we would need. (plus some)

with me, I send and receive alot of picture messages and I would like to be able to send video as well. Besides, being able to take video when those special moments come up and you dont have a cam at the ready is always nice. like if im at a party and i see someone about to faceplant on the floor and i dont have a cam ready, it would be nice to use my phone. lol.

the live tv i think is a cool option especially if im making a long ass drive and im stuck in a car with no radio or something.

I also download a bunch of movies, and it would be pretty cool to put them on my phone as well.

its all a matter of preference and use. not everyone needs those features.

also, with the instinct, i get all of the above, and the simply everything plan for $99 a month. unlimited text messaging, video messaging, internet, gps, tv, ect.

thats way better than any plan at&t has to offer.

So lets start up an official Iphone 3g discussion. We aren't due to upgrade for a couple months yet, but looking at the IPhone pretty seriously. I'm kinda leaning away from it though due to the imprisonmnet you seem to be stuck into with the 3g's plan.

Things I don't like:

I would like to get an Iphone 3g for both myself and my wife. I'd want the data plan on mine but not hers since she only needs it to have a double Ipod + Phone. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get it for her without the data plan.....not ready to spend $130/month for our cell phones.

Second, you get charged an upgrade fee? What the crap is that all about. Every single time I've upgraded my phone in the past I've never been charged any kind of fee. I just activate the new sim and go (or just throw in my old sim).

Third, you have to go to an AT&T store to have it activated. So I can't just use the phone or activate from home? What's that about? Plus they'll run a background check, credit report, need Driver's license, SSN, Blood Donation, and probably my son as collateral.

This seems like a lot of crap for a phone, and I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm leaning toward grabbing a couple of Pantech Duos and slap a 2gig card in each for music. Not as good as the iphone, but at least I won't have a chain around my neck.

Alright Clean, im not sure where you got info from, but the plans should be the same for about the same price as the plans now, the only upcharge i see them making is due to the 3g, is about 10-15 bucks extra on a bill, but thats not even confirmed...I personally said I wasnt going to get a new Iphone since i just purchased mine for 399.00. Now if the plans decide to stay the same then I have the option to purchase one because my iphone would sell for around 275 since my phone is a newer iphone so really i would only be paying about no more than 50 bucks to upgrade....alright this is what you get with the new iphone...

~3g service, which is 10x better than the Edge network

~Slimmer design, lighter.

~Different colors

~Dramatic price cut (Which is now as affordable as a blackberry)

~Touch interface...although its a given.

Overall the phone will be worth the 199.00 that you spend on it. Although the plans do suck...the service is awesome, and overall you will love the phone and wont be disappointed.

the new iphone is actually a little bit larger than the old one.

it comes with a plastic backing now, instead of the aluminum. it comes in two colors. black and white.

also, the phone is alot more expensive if you dont already have a contract with them.

Alright Clean, im not sure where you got info from, but the plans should be the same for about the same price as the plans now, the only upcharge i see them making is due to the 3g, is about 10-15 bucks extra on a bill, but thats not even confirmed...I personally said I wasnt going to get a new Iphone since i just purchased mine for 399.00. Now if the plans decide to stay the same then I have the option to purchase one because my iphone would sell for around 275 since my phone is a newer iphone so really i would only be paying about no more than 50 bucks to upgrade....alright this is what you get with the new iphone...

~3g service, which is 10x better than the Edge network

~Slimmer design, lighter.

~Different colors

~Dramatic price cut (Which is now as affordable as a blackberry)

~Touch interface...although its a given.

Overall the phone will be worth the 199.00 that you spend on it. Although the plans do suck...the service is awesome, and overall you will love the phone and wont be disappointed.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you had clicked the link I posted earlier, you'd see that all of my information (100%) is coming from att's website. Specifically wireless.att.com/iphone

~3g service, which is 10x better than the Edge network - Doesn't matter, 3g isn't offerend withing 150 miles of me and probably won't be for many years

~Slimmer design, lighter - Barely...it's actually larger one direction (width I think) but it's so close to the same size that it doesn't really matter

~Different colors - I couldn't care less, I'm going to be staring at the screen 100% of the time so who cares what color the phone is (as long as it's not hot pink or something)

~Dramatic price cut (Which is now as affordable as a blackberry) - Actually it's a price increase. Since they require the $30 data plan (versus. 20) and you have to pay another $5/month for the texts.....plus required to sign a 2 year contract it ends up being about $50 more over the life of the contract to own an Iphone.

~Touch interface...although its a given - Both have the touch screen interface as do many other phone companies. With the software update (v.2) that will be free and available for the original ipod, both will have a lot of the same features including things like the appstore.

Furthermore you are 100% wrong about

the plans should be the same for about the same price as the plans now

Go to their website. It will cost $30 for the cheapest data plan (versus the 20) and the 200 text messages cost another $5. SO the same plan that you get for $20 will now cost $35 (almost double). Again...this is info straight from at&t's website.

the only upcharge i see them making is due to the 3g, is about 10-15 bucks extra on a bill, but thats not even confirmed

There will be an $18 upgrade fee beyond the monthly increase I stated directly above. This is confirmed through the link I posted on AT&T's website.

You should really do some research on your own before you call somebody out about where they got there info. My info was all obtained from the people who are going to sell the Iphone and the info is all listed on their official Iphone section of the site. Not sure why you find it so hard to believe because it's common knowledge about everywhere on the net that the new Iphone is going to actually cost you more when everything is calculated into the equation.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you had clicked the link I posted earlier, you'd see that all of my information (100%) is coming from att's website. Specifically wireless.att.com/iphone

~3g service, which is 10x better than the Edge network - Doesn't matter, 3g isn't offerend withing 150 miles of me and probably won't be for many years

~Slimmer design, lighter - Barely...it's actually larger one direction (width I think) but it's so close to the same size that it doesn't really matter

~Different colors - I couldn't care less, I'm going to be staring at the screen 100% of the time so who cares what color the phone is (as long as it's not hot pink or something)

~Dramatic price cut (Which is now as affordable as a blackberry) - Actually it's a price increase. Since they require the $30 data plan (versus. 20) and you have to pay another $5/month for the texts.....plus required to sign a 2 year contract it ends up being about $50 more over the life of the contract to own an Iphone.

~Touch interface...although its a given - Both have the touch screen interface as do many other phone companies. With the software update (v.2) that will be free and available for the original ipod, both will have a lot of the same features including things like the appstore.

Furthermore you are 100% wrong about

Go to their website. It will cost $30 for the cheapest data plan (versus the 20) and the 200 text messages cost another $5. SO the same plan that you get for $20 will now cost $35 (almost double). Again...this is info straight from at&t's website.

There will be an $18 upgrade fee beyond the monthly increase I stated directly above. This is confirmed through the link I posted on AT&T's website.

You should really do some research on your own before you call somebody out about where they got there info. My info was all obtained from the people who are going to sell the Iphone and the info is all listed on their official Iphone section of the site. Not sure why you find it so hard to believe because it's common knowledge about everywhere on the net that the new Iphone is going to actually cost you more when everything is calculated into the equation.

Nah nah nah, i wasnt calling you out, simply was telling you what i was told from the chick that works at AT&T that hooked me up, she went through the training that they apparently had to go through and explained the majority of what she caught. As far as the price im not understanding (Plan wise) With the Iphone you are required to have a data plan, which starts at 59.99 which give you 400 anytime min, 200 texts, and 500 nights and weekends, the next plan up is 89.99, which is the one i got the only diff is that you get unlimited nights and weekends and 900 anytime min and unlimited data usage, and unlimited texting is 20.00 extra....im going to call her right now to actually clarify some of the stuff you told me...im not here to call you out, just simply relaying what i was told by a friend of mine that works for at&t

Archived