now i know this isnt an audi forum but whatever...

i am looking at getting a 1998 audi a4 1.8t its in great condition except for the 136,000 miles...

my question is, is that high mileage for that year?

ok, so i know its not increadbly high mileage for a 98 but in your opinion do you think it would be something to worry about? they are mostly highway miles anyway...

The engine should last you a long time.

Though I've heard bad things about Audis having electrical problems.

The engine should last you a long time.

Though I've heard bad things about Audis having electrical problems.

yeah, i have heard things here and there but i have never heard of any serious issue with an audi...

I know a couple of people with Audi products.

Three people I know own S4's and a couple others own A4's.

S4 guys say the only reason theirs ever have downtime is because they're making upgrades and whatnot, A4 owners said they're pretty smooth.

I say no. The amount of mileage, you are going to be running into major maintenance soon. If you do get it, make sure the timing belt was done, the turbo was replaced, and all other maintenances were done. In my opinion, bad idea; and I wanted a S4.

I say no. The amount of mileage, you are going to be running into major maintenance soon. If you do get it, make sure the timing belt was done, the turbo was replaced, and all other maintenances were done. In my opinion, bad idea; and I wanted a S4.

well i do know that the turbo was replaced, but i dunno about the timing belt.

they are mostly highway miles anyway...

I say, unless rode shotgun with the previous owner, this is a baseless statement.

I think the purchase is bad idea, an S4 would retain value in our currently frigid retail market.

• 3 weeks later...
good luck...

true about maintainence...It's going to cost a lot if you are the one who has to do all that stuff after buying it...

The 1.8T engine in them isnt great. As was previously mentioned, ensure that turbo has been replaced and timing belt done. If i was you I'd go for the diesel model get a remap and you've got a car with close to 180bhp and 340ft/ lbs of torque!

"Highway miles" is the most commonly used statement for high mileage cars for sale; take it with a shot of grain alcohol. I say my cars have all highway miles if it is pretty high, but they really are about 70% city, 30% highway. If he is only doing 12,000 a year, I'd say that is a lot of city. "Real" highway drivers put about 30,000 a year on their cars. I used to put 15,000 to 25,000 a year city alone! If you have a car you like and enjoy driving, they can rack up fast. This year I am only gonig to do like 10,000 miles, haha.

"Highway miles" is the most commonly used statement for high mileage cars for sale; take it with a shot of grain alcohol. I say my cars have all highway miles if it is pretty high, but they really are about 70% city, 30% highway. If he is only doing 12,000 a year, I'd say that is a lot of city. "Real" highway drivers put about 30,000 a year on their cars. I used to put 15,000 to 25,000 a year city alone! If you have a car you like and enjoy driving, they can rack up fast. This year I am only gonig to do like 10,000 miles, haha.

I can't say I disagree. I put about 30,000 miles a year on my car....even more if we take any trips anywhere. I'm probably 85-90% highway miles and 10-15% city. My wife on the other hand drives maybe 12,000-15,000 a year and it's probably about 50/50.

yeah, i gave up on the audi... damn gas prices are $4/gallon up here in ak.

keeping the civic as my winter car. i was thinking of throwing some mickey thompsons and a fabtech 6" lift on it. jk. :D

anyone have a streetbike they would recomend?

Could be high for an Audi depending on where its been located.

I've got around 170k on my 96 Civic. I've put a little over 75k on it since I got it in late 03.

Archived