Official General Photography Thread Part II

CRG7

It's strange how you really are not that far away from me, yet the bugs you are taking pictures of are generally things I have never seen in the wild before.

I bet a lot of them are out there you just haven't seen them because you haven't been looking for them. I had never seen the assassin bug before until those pictures but he was only 1/4" to 1/2" long so you wouldn't see him unless you were looking for him. The Luna Moth was on a leaf and if I hadn't noticed it being the slightest different shade, I never would have seen it either.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am reasonably observant and spend much more time outside then inside. I just think you have quite a few that are not native to my area.

I really need to see about getting some quality shots of my side yard. We spent the spring and summer planting a native-ohio prairie and it has turned out quite well. I now have wild sun flowers growing over 7ft tall as well as dozens of other neat plants and flowers.

Cool Nancy. It looks like you used a snoot on that shot of Brandon.....if not then what lighting setup was that? Anyway that's really cool and I've gotten a similar effect with my shoot through umbrella but it didn't come out as cool as yours.

Cool Nancy. It looks like you used a snoot on that shot of Brandon.....if not then what lighting setup was that? Anyway that's really cool and I've gotten a similar effect with my shoot through umbrella but it didn't come out as cool as yours.

i had the sb-800 set up on the counter top and bounced it off a white poster board and it gave me that effect. i dont have any umbrellas yet, thats after i get my lens. =)

when you use an umbrella, is the flash facing the inside so it bounces off of it?

i had the sb-800 set up on the counter top and bounced it off a white poster board and it gave me that effect. i dont have any umbrellas yet, thats after i get my lens. =)

when you use an umbrella, is the flash facing the inside so it bounces off of it?

I use shoot through umbrellas since it's easier to control where the light goes. It's a white shoot through 33" and yes I aim the flash to fire through it toward the middle of the umbrella.

Here's my setup on some macros I did (Assassin Bug Pictures)

2008-08-17_60.jpg

I use shoot through umbrellas since it's easier to control where the light goes. It's a white shoot through 33" and yes I aim the flash to fire through it toward the middle of the umbrella.

Here's my setup on some macros I did (Assassin Bug Pictures)

2008-08-17_60.jpg

so is the inside of the umbrella facing the subject? or is the outside of it facing the subject?

so is the inside of the umbrella facing the subject? or is the outside of it facing the subject?

The outside of the umbrella is lighting the subject. My subject on those photos was the yellow flowers.

Here's two of the pictures from that setup so you can see where I was shooting in relation to the umbrella.

2008-08-17_91web.jpg

2008-08-10_11web.jpg

Basically the white umbrellas like mine you shoot through the umbrella.....lighting from the outside of the umbrella. The ones that have a reflective material (silver lining) inside are the ones that you would flip around and basically bounce off the inside of the umbrella. Those throw at more light though and it's harder to control where it goes.

Decided to go to Millennium Park today because it was nice out. More pics later because I'm too tired to PP now.

IMG_4347w.jpg

cool shot.

are you gonna get the 50d or the 5d? is the 50d full frame as well?

I'm waiting for them to announce the 5D replacement which should be really soon. I'll get it if it's under $2400. If not then I'll get the 50D, which is still a 1.6 crop, or pick up the current 5D.

Archived