Official General Photography Thread Part II

CRG7

Went to the St. Louis Zoo yesterday. Way too busy to get many good pictures but here's a few.

mmmm those really make me wish i had a better camera..

pittsburgh zoo with a kodak easy share

100_0862.jpg

100_0867.jpg

100_0877.jpg

100_0879.jpg

100_0903.jpg

100_0931.jpg

100_0940.jpg

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hung, do you take most of your pics with a tripod or point and shoot?

Neither. I don't own a tripod so all of my shots are handheld. Tripod is next on my list of things to get though. I don't use a Point and shoot either. I use a Nikon D70s and a few different lenses depending on what I"m shooting. (Why, do my pictures look crappy like Point and Shoot pictures?)

I meant point and shoot like "handheld", not what type of camera you use. I know you have a D70.

I got a tripod, and this is the only pic I've taken using it. Looks alot better, but still not even close to your handheld pics. :laugh:

IMG_0954-1.jpg

most recent picture of brandon taken with my new camera. the camera is a little confusing, you have to set everything and its starting to piss me off. makes me want my d40 again.

nx-b.jpg

i picked up an sb-800 today. id wait for the sb-900 but i dont see any sense in paying 5 bills for a flash. this one is good enough. got it a best buy, they wanted 385 at first but i told them calumet.com has them for 314 so they matched the price.

Picture053.jpg

Some from today in the yard.

Bee

bee

nate, how close do you get? are you using the 50 for these shots?

ryan is right, these could are even better than some of the shots you see in a nation geo mag.

Wow....thanks guys. Those are really nice comments. I'll check out that site Drew for sure.

Nancy - I'm using my Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. The 50mm doesn't focus nearly close enough to get anything this close.

Here's a few of a butterfly from yesterday.

2008-07-19_6web.jpg

2008-07-19_3web.jpg

2008-07-19_7web.jpg

By the way Nancy, I love the new camera. I can't hardly wait until I can upgrade my D70s to a D300, but that's probably a couple years away.

Wow....thanks guys. Those are really nice comments. I'll check out that site Drew for sure.

By the way Nancy, I love the new camera. I can't hardly wait until I can upgrade my D70s to a D300, but that's probably a couple years away.

nate, for reals. youve stepped up so much in your photography game, i think youve got a good thing going on. you should really persue that as something more serious than a hobby. if you could do that amazing work with a d70, i cant wait to see what you can do with a d300.

i love the new camera too. i was debating if i should wait a little longer for the d700 but if i did then i would have to get all nx lenses, im way happy with dx. the guy at the camera store said dx lenses will work with the d700 but itll give it the Vignette effect. plus, its a 3k body only. i just need to practice and practice.

D700 will accept DX lenses. It doesn't vignett if you put it in DX mode. It comes default when you attach a DX lens. Doesn't use the whole sensor, it automatically crops it.

Yeah, the D700 would be nice, but I don't think I would ever really need full frame. What's the megapixel on the D700? The only thing that appeals to me with it being a higher MP is that you can crop some shots more while still being able to print fairly large. D300 would be all I'd need to be completely happy (well a few other lenses too). Someday I'll get there. Thanks for the nice comments Nancy.

Yeah, the D700 would be nice, but I don't think I would ever really need full frame. What's the megapixel on the D700? The only thing that appeals to me with it being a higher MP is that you can crop some shots more while still being able to print fairly large. D300 would be all I'd need to be completely happy (well a few other lenses too). Someday I'll get there. Thanks for the nice comments Nancy.

i think the d700 is 12.1 mp, the d300 has 12.3. not a big difference. i dont understand the whole full frame thing anyways.

Here's a few more of that butterfly. I perfer the others but a lot of people seem to like these better so......

2008-07-19_38web.jpg

2008-07-19_43web.jpg

2008-07-19_47web.jpg

By the way....have I mentioned how much I dislike the way HondaForums shrinks the pictures down.

^ It's to save space in the post/thread. If you click on the top black bar, it'll open the full size. Great shots, Nate!

I can't get over how big Brandon is getting Nancy. Mine is growing too and seeing the picture above makes me sad because before we know it......they'll all be grown up and we'll be old and shrivly. Oh well, he's a good looking boy.

Here's a few more insects from this past weekend

2008-07-28_7web.jpg

2008-07-25_5web.jpg

2008-07-26_10web.jpg

2008-07-28_19web.jpg

The one below would have been so cool if he hadn't gotten blurred

2008-07-26_6web.jpg

I'm thinking about ordering some manual extension tubes (i.e. no metering or af), so I can get 1:1 or better. I use autofocus a lot with my macros though so I'm not too sure. They're only $15 for a set of three though so worth a shot.

I can't get over how big Brandon is getting Nancy. Mine is growing too and seeing the picture above makes me sad because before we know it......they'll all be grown up and we'll be old and shrivly. Oh well, he's a good looking boy.

i know, he's growing too fast. hes already talking in full sentences and says things that even surprise me. heres a funny one i took of him experimenting with bouncing the flash.

2705991536_62f9b719ff.jpg

and my poor attempt at "nate" style marco, found this guy in my bamboo plant. i squashed him after i got the shot, i hate spiders.

spider.jpg

and new mb-d10 battery pack for my camera, i dunno if i like it yet. i have to get used to it.

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

Archived