40 MPG--Wow!

91Civic3DrHb

For keeping tabs on general vehicle performance whole number mileage info is fine. You put 400 miles on it and 10 gallons and get 40mpg vs. 415 miles and 10.152 ends up being 40.878644.... Obviously 40 isn't the same number as 40.88 but if you keep even a 'whole numbered' eye on your mileage you will catch problems with the car before they become major. Sensor errors and things like that will effect your mpg pretty quick even if you don't notice it otherwise. If you are watching your mileage and all of a sudden you go: 40, 38, 41, 22 you know you have a problem.

In addition, if you start keeping accurate track of your mileage it starts to get addictive. I am always trying to beat my highest score. Currently I am trying to get the civ to break 40mpg, which will be tough with 500lbs of commuters in it, my couple bolt ons and my lead foot, but I will get it eventually and trump the sol. Then I can add more go fast goodies and watch my mileage quickly dwindle.....

This is how I track mileage when I want an exact number.

Drain fuel tank (I don't mean run it out of gas, literally drain it).

Fill with premeasured containers (cc's).

Drive it until it runs out of gas. This will vary by the grade you're on. Restart and drive and it it won't restart again. Most of the time it won't start back up.

Note mileage.

Put gas in tank with the 5 gallon container you filled up and put in the car.

Go home and calculate mileage.

'twas but a joke. So since we are on the mileage talk here: please tell me more about some of these custom geared trans you have been doing. I'm trying (emphasis on the try) to build my civic up to be a better performing car, but at the same time preserve my commuting fuel economy if possible. I run a 40 mile commute each direction so any large drops in econ are felt immediately in the wallet.

What results can be expected from regearing a d trans for as much low-mid performance as possible while preserving 5th gear econ? How steep can you gear it 1-4 and still be easily drivable getting it into 5th. Aside from the obvious extra effort to get the car up to highway speeds with shorter 1-4 would there be any mpg hit if 5th remained the same? is it as simple as that?

Higher RPM = better mileage if you keep your foot out of it. The instant acceleration with a 1.000 5th is often tempting to get your foot into it.

No extra effort getting up to cruising speed. Gets there a lot more easily.

if we all were slow nice drivers, we would get great mpg's...but then we wouldn't be into cars! lol

I'm into cars, and I have gone months with slow driving (feathering the gas, never letting the rpms exceed 2k). I can get a combined 24.67 for city/highway.

wtf i've averaged 27ish mpg since i've owned the car. 33 was the best. and i drive with a light foot too.

You know what that means? You may has a problem.

What bolt ons do you have on the car: wheels? I/H/E? wing? whatever else?

All of these things, and anything else you do under the hood, will likely lower your mpg. If you don't have anything done to the vehicle you may want to roll into a place that does free code checking to see if you have a sensor that has failed. Particularly oxygen sensors, but they usually cause a cel to come on when they fail.

You know what that means? You may has a problem.

What bolt ons do you have on the car: wheels? I/H/E? wing? whatever else?

All of these things, and anything else you do under the hood, will likely lower your mpg. If you don't have anything done to the vehicle you may want to roll into a place that does free code checking to see if you have a sensor that has failed. Particularly oxygen sensors, but they usually cause a cel to come on when they fail.

nothing but a short ram and an axleback.

nvm, when i took it to the shop for the waterpump, timing belt, and clutch they also changed all the fluids, oild seals, and rotated the tires. back up to 30mpg

nothing but a short ram and an axleback.

nvm, when i took it to the shop for the waterpump, timing belt, and clutch they also changed all the fluids, oild seals, and rotated the tires. back up to 30mpg

that short ram and axleback don't do anything to improve your mpg, you know?. if that is actually your concern then you should switch back to stock. so far my modifications to my civ haven't affected my mpg noticably so i'm sitting pretty.

^^ Yup and despite what people thing, a cold air intake doesn't improve gas mileage. Colder air = more fuel so a cold air intake is going to make the engine burn more fuel.

For example....I drop about 3mpg on average in the winter months because of the colder air. I'm currently averaging about 27mpg, but as soon as the weather warms up and a quick ecu reset, I"ll be hitting 30mpg average again.

i know that none of that stuff helps with anything, other than noise. the car needed repairs and things got back up to normal once everything was fixed. i also kinda lied when i said i drive with a light foot. i accelerate lightely cause i swear everyone around here acts like they are in a race to get to the next light. however i kinda haul on the freeway, and its been uber windy so that pretty much feels like i'm going up hill 24/7. gasoline sux, we need to switch to diesel..

Archived