40 MPG--Wow!

91Civic3DrHb

I just finished my first tank of gas in my new '91 Honda Civic 3-door hatchback. I went 418.5 miles on 10.3 gallons...40.6 miles per gallon. And probably 75% was city driving too! That's incredible to me on a 17 year old car with 107,000 miles. Especially when the original window sticker (which I got with the car) had an EPA of 37 MPG highway.

Of course, I drive for maximum fuel economy.

Awsome! How did you determine amount of gasoline you used?

umm, how much the pump read when he filled the tank back up? :crazy:

I routinely get 36+ on the civic with two passengers, and thats with me beating the living hell out of it: jackrabbit starts, shifting at 5k+ for half my shifts and driving at 80-90 on the eway and at 60-70 on the state routes and about 1/2 of it on city streets.

with the sol I top 44 for most of my tanks, but thats with babying it and all highway.

Not bad. My dad get's 46-47mpg on all highway driving with his 05 Civic EX SE. THat's a car that is rated from the factory to be mid-30's highway and with his cruise set at 70. Seems weird that he gets 10mpg better than the factory states, but that's a honda for you, incredible gas mileage.

Awsome! How did you determine amount of gasoline you used?

Well, last week I filled up the tank (as much as it would take). Today, I filled up again (again, as much as it would take). It took 10.3 gallons, so I figured that's how much I used. It's hard to believe I got 40 MPG when the EPA estimated figure was 37.

I was going to post a message asking about fuel additives to clean fuel injectors, improve gas mileage, etc. But now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't do anything!

umm, how much the pump read when he filled the tank back up? :crazy:

Gas pumps usually give the volume to the thousandths place. It gave me the impression the number was obtained in some other fashion. It is always best to retain as many significant digits as possible.

Gas pumps usually give the volume to the thousandths place. It gave me the impression the number was obtained in some other fashion. It is always best to retain as many significant digits as possible.

It was actually 10.306 gallons, so I got 40.607 instead of 40.631 MPG. lol

WTF? Is it stock Hung?

I should start keeping track of my mpg again..... :dry:

Yeah, bone stock and an automatic tranny too. Oh and this was full of luggage so more weight than normal. My parents were on a trip to Ohio (from Missouri) and he calculated the gas mileage between fill-ups on a full tank of highway driving. 47mpg. He was so "in-awe" that he did the same exact thing on the trip home and nailed 46mpg......so it wasn't just a fluke.

Let's see....77 miles each way to school.

That's 154 a trip. Two trips per week = 308 miles.

I go through almost a half tank a week, so that's 13.2 / 2 = 6.6 gal

308 miles / 6.6 gal = 46.67 mpg

So I guess you're right.....and I avg like 70-80 mph

Let's see....77 miles each way to school.

That's 154 a trip. Two trips per week = 308 miles.

I go through almost a half tank a week, so that's 13.2 / 2 = 6.6 gal

308 miles / 6.6 gal = 46.67 mpg

So I guess you're right.....and I avg like 70-80 mph

You can't calculate mpg like that and have any hope of being anywhere close to correct.

At your next fillup reset your trip meter on your odometer. When you fill the tank do not top it off. When the automatic shutoff clicks off the nozzle do not put any more gas in the tank or the reading will be off. The following time you fill up do the same thing when you put gas in it. Take the exact number of miles you drove and divide it by the exact amount of fuel you put in: 445 mi / 10.342 = 43.028 mpg. (BTW this was the mileage on the sol a couple weeks ago with the last fill up)

WBS - do this and you will be suprised. your 46mpg will probably be more like 36mpg if you are lucky.

You can't calculate mpg like that and have any hope of being anywhere close to correct.

At your next fillup reset your trip meter on your odometer. When you fill the tank do not top it off. When the automatic shutoff clicks off the nozzle do not put any more gas in the tank or the reading will be off. The following time you fill up do the same thing when you put gas in it. Take the exact number of miles you drove and divide it by the exact amount of fuel you put in: 445 mi / 10.342 = 43.028 mpg.

WBS - do this and you will be suprised. your 46mpg will probably be more like 36mpg if you are lucky.

I was thinking the same thing. The method that x3772 states is the method that my dad used on his fillups getting 47 and 46.

I had 800 lb of weight (4 ppl + 80lb of subwoofers) which is maximum capacity in my 95 hatch and I got 45 mpg on a 250 mile trip with a crappy homemade pvc pipe intake which actually hurt my mileage. I used to check for mileage every fill-up and I consistently got 41-43 in mixed city/hway driving until I put the intake on and it dropped to 35-36 mpg. I put my stock intake back on and it was right back up. I figure with just me in the car, (180 lb), I would get like 50mpg in the summer on the interstate. Hot weather improves gas mileage. (unless you blast the A/C which I don't have) Oh and I have no power steering either. That helps too.

Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

ps- if you wanna get absolutely accurate mileage results, use the same pump at the same gas station each time cause the cutoff point can vary a little.

ps- if you wanna get absolutely accurate mileage results, use the same pump at the same gas station each time cause the cutoff point can vary a little.

I know I've heard of that before.

I live 9 miles from my job and the wife picks up the kids.

I ride my 2006 Masi 27inch with carbon fork Road Bike to the office at least 4 days a week, so mpg doesn't concern me as much as it used to.

On average I get 24.67 mpg in my 1997 Honda Accord EX-V6.

To get that number, I averaged 6 iterations of the following process.

I would fill up the tank, hit the trip meter, and drive for a week; then fill up at the end of the week at the same pump at the same station. If the pump handle was not changed in that week, the shut-off valve in the handle was assumed to be reliable enough to put the same volume of fuel in my tank as the beginning of the week. I would print my receipt and use the volume (5 significant digits) and the trip meter (4 significant digits) to get the 24.6x, then averaged all six to get 24.67.

24.67 is low, but now I only make short trips to the grocery store and long trips to participate in triathlons. If I have the bike on top of the car (Thule rack system), the mileage is noticeably lower; similar to the difference between A/C on and A/C off but not as severe.

The wife drives a 2007 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota VVT-i inline 4 cylinder) that gets about 34.5 mpg on average. The car is rated at 32/36 and it seems to be closer to 36 than 32, although I have never measured it using the above method.

Oh yeah, that's right. And I thought I was the only anal one.

Ok so I'm REALLY drunk right now...but I'm pretty sure I drastically overestimated my mileage to begin with.

I use almost half a tank PER ROUND TRIP, not per week.

So that's like twice as much gas consumpion...which would be half as many mpg....which would be like 23.3 mpg.......that sounds way too low now though.....

but like I said....I'm really smashed right now.

^LOL you still can calculate just like a programmer :D

haha, I just drop the digits after the dot...

if you want to be really specific then you have to consider wind and angle of uphills and downhills and times you stop and break and how long you are in 5th gear and all that...

let's make it simple! LOL

^you now know how many times I just rounded numbers in lab hahaha James Matteu, Oxygen is 16, not 15.999 hahaha

Archived