K20 swap

cranny

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got this done today , came out mint.

STA70026.jpg

STA70025.jpg

engine/tranny is out of my car right now. have cleaned up alot of loose ends already , more left.

rerouted the under hood fuse box to under the dash , tucked the chassis wiring.

ordered new 2nd gear , a mainshaft bearing and seal from acura , get here quick i hope. i will have basically everything needed to make my tranny brand new , literally. everything that wears anyways , lol.

will have more pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

i took my engine tranny out , put new 1st - 4th syncro hubs and sliders in it. a slightly used 3rd gear , and a new 2nd gear. new mainshaft bearings , etc. trying to get all this done by thursday night last weekend to get ready for the 1st ever sport compact class at greenfield raceway.

i really wanted to run in the 11's so i decided about 11pm thursday night to go do a little street tuning , lol. found a quiet country road , no houses , straight , no traffic. at about 10 psi , 3rd was useless , lol. so i started doing 4th gear pulls , which any of you running a type s tranny , ends at about 185 or so km/h , haha.

i set my boost controllers duty from min to max to fill in the chart and set up boost by gear. at 85% duty , which is max , with the 3lb spring in my wastegate , i make 17ish psi.

well the last pull which was 17ish psi , i lost traction in 4th at about 160 or so km/h , lol. set what i wanted for boost by gear , quick test to see if it was about where i wanted , works great. found out an hour after i got home that night the races had been cancelled due to weather. PISSED! lol. so i gotta wait till sport compact weekend in miramachi to see what i can do with now.

I love living vicariously through cranny. you actually do what most guys dream of.

17psi on a k is delightful to hear about. compared to the d you started it has got to be an amazing difference.

well , lol , heres how my car sits at this moment:

029.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

tranny and car has been working perfect since i rebuilt it. on the way home last night from burnside. i was going by my buddys place on dartmouth road , decided to buzz his house. popped her in 2nd , held it off the limiter few times , nothing big , have been doing it as well as many other people many times over. POW , neutral all the sudden and nasty evil noises following. drove it the rest of the way home. drive fine other than evil noises and no 2nd gear. i pulled it back out this morning , got the tranny apart to find this:

032.jpg

033.jpg

035.jpg

037.jpg

every 2nd gear tooth sheared off the mainshaft

my brand new countershaft 2nd gear is done , haggered.

a handfull of metal scattered throughout all my new bearings and etc.

very very dissapointed , pissed , sad , depressed , lol.

its too bad honda didnt make a tranny as good as an engine.

im not fixing this again , for now anyways. either i come up with the money for a 5spd or im done for this year.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I bought a 5 spd base rsx tranny. Put it in for the races weekend past. Had a map tuned for 17 psi. Was working perfect. The night before I left I took the exhaust off the car made a dump for the end of the downpipe loaded her on the trailor and left. My first run down the track I hit boost cut at 25psi lol. Little did I know no back ppressure severly accentuates the boost creep problem. So I fought with my tune all weekend. Engine ran great. Even withthe new tranny I still had shifting issues. I ended up with no 4th gear by halfway day2. It's gotta be a clutch problem. Competition stage 4 clutches are garbage from my experience. My boy who was with me ran the same clutch his blew apart start of day2.

Ended up with a best time of 12.04 at 126mph. Out of 15 runs I might have made 5 clean runs.

Don't know what I'm gonna do. Never buying a comp clutch product again. It cost me 2 trannys now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived