Blacked tails...

TS John

I'm about to black out my tails on my sol and just had a few questions.

1) Is it illegal to black out the whole tail? I always see people leaving the red there, which I don't like. I wanna black out the whole thing, and am going to, but I would like to know if it is illegal first.

2) What paint did people use? Joe Collins recommended Testor's Black enamel spray. I have that but I wanna make sure it'll work. I used the orange on my corners (if you recall those results) and it was not good. Hopefully black will be better. It's a different effect so I'm optimistic...

3) Anyone know how to specifically detach the tails in a sol? I'm sure I could figure it out but it can't hurt to know in advance.

4) How does it affect visibility of the lights and reflectors? I don't wanna get rammed from behind...

That's all the questions I could think of with it. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah man, you seem to be alright with everything you have, and I think it is legal, there are cars here that have a black cover over the whole taillights.

The part about getting rammed from behind was pretty frackin funny.

Pics this weekend.

Fully blacked tails.

Black mesh grill insert.

PWJDM intake.

Gunmetal MR7s (not on car yet but...)

Daytime photoshoot of the sol (finally).

And we might finally clean up my friend's civic. Before/after pics if we do.

I'm about to black out my tails on my sol and just had a few questions.

1) Is it illegal to black out the whole tail? I always see people leaving the red there, which I don't like. I wanna black out the whole thing, and am going to, but I would like to know if it is illegal first.

2) What paint did people use? Joe Collins recommended Testor's Black enamel spray. I have that but I wanna make sure it'll work. I used the orange on my corners (if you recall those results) and it was not good. Hopefully black will be better. It's a different effect so I'm optimistic...

3) Anyone know how to specifically detach the tails in a sol? I'm sure I could figure it out but it can't hurt to know in advance.

4) How does it affect visibility of the lights and reflectors? I don't wanna get rammed from behind...

That's all the questions I could think of with it. Thanks in advance.

when i did mine, i asked the police department, they checked the books, and couldnt find anything in the book like that. i blacked out my turn signals, and they said so long as you can see your turn signal is on from a decent distance youll be fine. as fas as the paint, you need testors transparent black paint.to remove the tail lights, you open your trunk, peeel back the carpeting, and unscrew them, there should be 4 screws per tail light, be careful because their soo easy to drop into the car, and youll never get em back. my lights were clearly visible at night, but in the daytime, if the light was shining directly on the ass end of my car you prolly couldnt see them that well. if that happens to you, get super bright bulbs for your tail lights. lastly however, there is an actual black out cover for your whole tail light, so you dont even have to paint them. theyre made by that compan gtc, or w/e their name is. idk how your going to do your tails, but i know someone on here said they wet sanded, and id prolly do that, because i didnt wet sand mine, and it came out good, but i imagine that wet sanded ones would look sooo much cleaner.

I testor'ed my tails a while back. I used enamel gloss black I believe with decent results. Shake it up really well and do several light coats. My only regret was leaving it unfinished (looked kinda rough) so I'd recommend using 1000 grit sandpaper or getting a clear coat just to make sure it stays and shines a little.

Light shows pretty well and I had a friend follow me the first night and he said you could see it just fine.

Of course I had to take it off a few days later (dad.. gr) so just FYI it comes off fairly easily with paint thinner and a rag should anything go wrong.

Blacked tails only look good on dark cars, if you ask me. If that's your car in your sig I'd leave them.

I didn't really notice much of a gain from the intake. Maybe a little? I dunno. It's my only mod, so it's not like the flow is much better or anything. I really just got it to replace the ebay crap I had and cuz the price was right (207 shipped). It looks so out of place in my dirty of B7 engine bay though...

Thanks for the heads up about sanding and clear coating. I have both high-grit paper and clear coat (although the clear is duplicolor... think that'll be a problem?) I'll do that.

Also, thanks, sonny, for the hints on removing the tails. I had assumed the screws were hidden behind the carpeting but it's nice to know how many there are. I'm prolly gonna remove all the carpeting from my trunk anyway and spray it rustoleum black, so I might as well do it at the same time.

Thanks for reminding me of that thread, because it answered my question about whether or not using duplicolor clear over testor's spray would be bad. Hung advises against it in the third post. I totally forgot that.

Guess I'll be going to the hobby shop sometime soon.

you know come to think about it, you may wanna see how much a body shop will charge you to spray your light with clear coat. maybe like 20 bucks. i think that would give it a good, perfect, indefinite shine look going on. lmao. i think i just used too many adjectives.

It's not okay. My lights were totally invisible. I took them back to stock with some turpentine. I was sorry to see them go. Will figure out a way to do this right.

Here is a picture:

2.jpg

Am now thinking of just buying the piece that sonny mentioned. Links would be helpful but I'll start searching.... now.

did you check this link out?

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15398

was it that opaque before the clear coat? i think testors has different kinds of clear. my brother and i were doing a porsche model, and we had it candle apple red, sprayed on a clear, and it killed the candy effect. so make sure you have the right clear coat

Not only that but I think you put too many coats of the paint on it. I'm assuming you used the transluscent black and not straight black.....alos you shoul only put 2 or 3 really light coats. Make sure that they look black from about 10-15 feet away, but when you get closer, you should be able to see the light housing through the black. Kind of like the car in the link airjordan posted.

Archived