Home Smoke Your Tails

joecollins2

Don't know if this has been posted b4 here or not. If so, it's posted again:

What you'll need:

1 maybe 2 Cans of Testors Spray tint for model car windows. 1200_series.JPG

1 Steel wool pad

1 can of clear coat spray (if you want to)

Okay, so take the taillights off your car.

Scratch the crap out of them with the steel wool pad. (So the paint sticks. Make sure there's no shiny spots left on the lens)

Spray em with the tint. Give them a few coats, you can go as dark as you like. Don't worry the bulbs will still show through just fine. Had mine done for some time and never had any problems they're still nice and bright.

See: 137990626.jpg

Let em dry (best to let sit overnight to be sure) then hit em up with some clear coat.

I've done this on many cars/trucks. It'll cover and color and looks like it's been blacked out when the lights are off. Pretty cool cheap little asthetic mod I guess.

Before:

130197749.jpg

After: (I went a couple coats darker after this pic. AND finished the inside lights so don't even talk crap!)

131411624.jpg

Good post. If I might add, only use the Testor's clear coat. Back when I built models like crazy, I used a regular Duplicolor clear over a testor's paint and it reacted and spider-webbed the paint. Not all paints will do that, but to be safe, stick with the testors clear over the testors paint. I'll be doing this to a set of clear tails I've got fairly soon.

What about headlights? Can I do something similar to mine to make them look blue without affecting my brightness, etc.?

Yeah do the same thing only with Testors Transparent blue. I've seen it done and it looks pretty cool cause it looks like the lens is blue.

Thanks very much for the info. Good post.

Edit: Also, good call on the Testers transparent stuff, HungGSR. I'm pretty sure I remember a similar thing from my model building days, too. Warhammer all the way! Lolerskates...

where can you get this paint? looks pretty good. does it matter what color the tail lights are from the start?

Your best bet is to chack with a hobby store. I searched at Wal Mart and everywhere they sold model paint. Finally found the motherload at a Hobby Lobby (if you have one of those around you)

Far as color it doesn't matter at all. I've smoke clear tails, red ones, the only thing is that the orange plastic is a little harder to do. You'll need more coats cause the orange is still a little bit visible through only a few coats.

This is just a guess, so don't jump all over me if it sounds stupid.

They could first spray a coat of blue on the very inside of the lights, so they look blue on the outside. Then they could spray several coats of amber inside that so you don't see it but it colors the light.

Have no idea if that would work, but if someone has an extra set of headlight housings it would be worth a shot.

HungGSR's idea about yellow headlights is prolly a better idea than my idea of coating the inside of the blue with yellow paint. I didn't know there were yellow headlights, though now that I think about it that makes perfect sense. I just always thought yellow headlights looked ugly...

You think blue headlights would look okay on a black car? I'm shying away from that on mine since it's black. If you do it, post pics so I can reference.

I won't be doing that. I think it would look horrible and was kidding. I only think it would look good on a blue car, or possibly white. I've got the bluish white bulbs and that's enough for me.

I think it would look horrible and was kidding.

Oh. I saw it on a white sol, and I thought it looked cool. It would prolly look cool on a blue car with amber corners, but that's about it with regards to color combinations.

• 2 weeks later...

WHOA! We're not talking PAINT!!!!!!!! There's transparent black and transparent blue (that I've seen anyways). That's not normal paint! DO NOT USE NORMAL PAINT!!!!!! LIGHT DOESN'T SHINE THROUGH PAINT!!!!!

wow

Surely you aren't referring to my suggestion of House of Kolors Kandy Paint. Kandy is a transparent paint so the light would shine thorugh just fine. Plus you have a really larger range of color choices and it would stand up better than testors. Would cost more money too though.

Archived