Blacked tails...

TS John

I used the Testors gloss black like in the post and followed those instructions to a "T." I'm gonna have to ckeck if there is a more transparent black, though, cuz mine was that opaque after only two coats.

Edit: Are the tails the same for 92-95 civics as sols? They look the same, and I could just buy tail covers that would be perfect if so.

Reedit: D'oh! I just looked and while the paint I used looked the same as the image, it's definitely gloss black instead of transparent window tinting black.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's your problem. You used the wrong paint. Testor's makes a translucent black that you can see through. It's used to tint windows on model cars. That's what you want. If you do 3 light coats with the right paint it will look black but the light will shine through perfect. Go back to the hobby shop, get the right paint, redo the lights and you'll be very pleased.

No, the del sol's taillights are not the same as any other car.

I'm gonna go get the transparent paint right now. I will be very careful this time.

Anyone know if this affects insurance coverage? Ie, if I black them dark and then get rear ended, can someone say, "It wasn't my fault his taillights were black and I couldn't see brake lights." I want actual facts here and not opinions like, "That's stupid of course not lol...." <--This is not directed at anyone specific, before people get insulted.

ohhh you didnt use transparent paint, hmm yeah that will do it.

as far as the insurance thing, i dont know a fact, but your going to get my opinion lol. im about 99% sure youre fine for the insurance thing.

Just did the first coat with the right paint. What a difference! (For the better.)

I'm gonna look into legal coverage. Still wanna black them out, but it would be nice to know the facts too.

BTW: Looking at the sigs you guys have together makes me really wanna see a photoshoot with you two. Two of best looking cars on HF if you ask me. A nice blue sol would be nice in there too, but where would we find one?

I AM PLEASED.

Pics tomorrow of all promised earlier in this thread.

Didn't go totally black but you can see light through perfectly and it looks nice I think. Can't wait to finish up my other little projects and wash the sol up and post me a photoshoot.

Edit: By the way, blackout tails do nothing to your policy. I just talked to Geico. w00tb33r.

I plan on smoking my tails this summer. I'll get aftermarket ones first though so 1.) I still have my stock ones if I want, and 2.) I'll have a clear lense to work with. I'll use nightshade. I've heard good things.

Nightshades is crap.

My buddy used it on his SRT-4, came out exactly like John's first example.

Use the other stuff that Joe Collins posted, looks much better in the pics...

I think that must be user error. everyone I've seen use it it turned out fine. he was probably trying to put on too thick a coat.

nah, he did 2 light coats and it looked crappy, then did one more and it looked like John's....but good luck when you do it...

see thats why I'm buying aftermarket tails. if I f up (which is entirely possible, but I've learned with paint its best just to take your time and do lots of thin coats and sanding) then I can just remove the paint and start over with something else. I'm also debating weather or not to clear coat the tails.

i seriously, think if you got a body shop clear coat the tails, it will look like a stock tail light. not to mention, keep the lights from fading, because i noticed with mine when i first did it they were black black, and then after a while, i noticed i can see more color in the lens. sure it will cost more, but it will give off a really really nice look.

I like bds' idea of getting aftermarket tails and smoking the clear lens. Definitely be patient and do lots of light coats, like you said. Mine has a bit of a texture since I rushed it a little, but I kinda like the look of it, so no matter...

Interesting that you asked if I blacked the reverse lights this time, sonny. I didn't. I think it looks pretty BA. Everything else is dark, though, but not too dark. 5 thin coats + 2 clear.

Pics later today. It's a crappy day, but I'll wash her up and shoot me some photos anyhow.

So I was reading this thread and I was like... hmm, for 5 bucks why not give it a shot.

So I went to the hobbyshop picked myself up a can of window tint and clear coat, and took the lights of the pos teg I ripped the motor out of.

I sanded them down and sprayed em up...Wasnt too hard...

Before

RearEnd.jpg

After

Smokedteg.jpg

smokedteg2.jpg

smokedteg3.jpg

Smokedteg1.jpg

I put them back on the teg for dramatic effect... they are just sitting there.

Lemme know what you guys think, and if anybody wants them... you can have them cheap.

It looks better in pics, there is a couple tiny smudges and like two or three fingerprints from my dumbass... That and I have no idea how much light will get through lol, the electrical isnt hooked up in the teg, and Im too lazy to get a flashlight or something.

I think that midway through blacking out mine, there was a sort of semi transparent look... where it wasnt fully black. Kind of just smoked so you could still see the outline of the diffrent sections of the light. I think that would look the best on a black car.. so its just not all the same color.

If I keep my Talon, I'm so going to do this. So, which is better, the Testors transparent black, or spray on window tint?

testors transparent is the same stuff as window tint. if you go to the hobby shop and ask for either one of them theyll give you the same thing. if you have the cool looking talon, the newest body style, imo it will look stupid because you have such a big tail light. tail light mods look stupid with cars that have big tail lights like eclipses, crx's etc. but as i said before, 90 percent of the ppl who wanna spray paint their tail lights dont have to because they already make smoked covers for them. that give off uniform light transfer, and are removable. these tail light covers are made by gtc or something like that.

So I was reading this thread and I was like... hmm, for 5 bucks why not give it a shot.

So I went to the hobbyshop picked myself up a can of window tint and clear coat, and took the lights of the pos teg I ripped the motor out of.

I sanded them down and sprayed em up...Wasnt too hard...

Before

RearEnd.jpg

After

Smokedteg.jpg

smokedteg2.jpg

smokedteg3.jpg

Smokedteg1.jpg

I put them back on the teg for dramatic effect... they are just sitting there.

Lemme know what you guys think, and if anybody wants them... you can have them cheap.

It looks better in pics, there is a couple tiny smudges and like two or three fingerprints from my dumbass... That and I have no idea how much light will get through lol, the electrical isnt hooked up in the teg, and Im too lazy to get a flashlight or something.

looks pretty good.

is there grass in your exhaust?

hung, if theyre just sitting in your garage, i think you should go for it. dont do all black, but like the smoked look would look really good.

Archived