single cam N/A build

alright, give me some ideas for my rebuild. i dont care about price but im not going to dump 10g's in this thing. I have a single cam ZC. its well built but im getting rid of everything and im going to completely re-do everything from crankshaft to intake manifold. the only thing i plan on keeping is the block. if you know of a better platform for high N/A power gains throw it at me, not literally tho cuz that might hurt if i dont see it coming lol.

try to be detailed, as much as possible. i have an idea of what i want but i figured id ask some other people. i want the most power i can possibly get but be able to drive it atleast on the weekends with out having to rebuild it all the time. so somewhat streetable. Its for my 89 CRX

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking about the A6 head, and i see you support that 272 cam alot, y so?

and what would your suggestions be for the rest of the motor? i honestly dont care if it goes over 10k, id rather not but depnding on the predicted power it can make i may do it.

Because it works good.

WHy do you need a crank? Nobdy makes D cranks, so you're looking at 2,500 for a custom billet crank right there. Add 900 for custom rods, 550 for custom pistons, 1,000 for a resleeve........

i didnt mean all new parts, for the most part yes for top end parts. but ive never tried mixing rods and crank shafts from different d-series. are some of them interchangable? and do any of them have better stroke then the other? and hwat do you guys think about boring it out or shaving the head? iv never been a big fan of it but im gona do anything to it this time around just to get it at peak streetable performance

ya i figured that, i guess im kind of stuck then. i say i dont care about price for parts yet i dont want to go over 10k. besides milling and boring (things that need to be machined) im doin all the labor myself so ill save a lot that way. i just dont want to pour too much into just to let it sit. i work like crazy and barely have enough time to weiner around with my cars. Im actually dropping out of college for the time being until i get this thing built and a new project started once i get a shell.

i just didnt want the sky to be the limit on price cuz i didnt want a bunch of posts saying drop a c32 in your rex etc. or some stupid hard swap. i want a single cam thats a beast.

ok so i decided scratch the 10k limit. my buddy from cali called me today (he had an 06 STi with 410 AWHP, sold it for a boat) now he just got an evo. im the one who got him in to tuning so i want to go back to cali with the same old single cam crx i left with, but this time kick his ass in the evo. i know there was a post about this b4 cuz some guy said he got whooped by an evo but im serious. if you think you have a single cam set up that will kill an evo let me know. i dont want to hear about how much an evo gains compared to a honda cuz i already know. i just want the possibility to beat it.

ok that was a bunch of rambling, just give me ideas on the fastest single cam rex youll ever see. no price limit. :D

i am a noob, but if youre looking to spend 10k, why use the d series at all when a b or k20 has so much more potential? correct me if wrong, but cant you get a B18 to 200hp for about $5K?

stock b18c5 comes already with around 195 hp

im sure you could find it built for $3500....assumption....my mommie warned me about those though....asumptions that is

Built C5 for 3500? No way. Stock and legit C5 will cost you easily 4000-5000.

Some people dare to be different, which is awesome. Not everyone wants to pop their hood anbd see the same thing they see in every other "JDM wannabe engine bay"

thank you solles. thats the thing, i dont want a b series, i do want a K but thats for my next project. this car was my daily driver and i introduced it to my friend back when he was 15 and couldnt drive yet. he thought it was the fastest car hes ever been in. now hes 19 and has unlimited money. hes gone through 9 cars and 2 boats in 2 years. he just bought an evo and me coming back with my old beater being faster then his evo would be a huge accomplishment and be very fun. i used to beat gsr's and b16 crx's all day and i was proud of that but its time to step it up and see what D's are made of. besides all that i just want a fast d series. i have a b20 i could throw in it but id have to take it out another car and dont feel like being a typical everyday highschool tuner with a b series in their honda. im not in highschool so i guess it wouldnt matter but anyways, solles gets the idea. plus its a project, not a daily driver. and a C5 is pointless unless u just want to brag about having one. its cheaper to buy a C1 and make it as fast as the C5.

so far SSR has given the most input towards the build, i am going to keep my ZC block and use an A6 head, ill see about the d17 crank but not sure about that yet. and i found a 97 EX tranny that im thinking of using for the short gears. right now its the Si tranny with a ZC final drive. what are some opnions on trannys? would it be worth doing the hydro conversion for the EX tranny or just keep the si tranny? and what are some good ideas for valvetrain? im thinking of having a cam custom made but havent decided cuz i havent really looked for valvetrain yet.

the motor doesnt have any time limit on building it so im just buying as im building which isnt smart but i dont care. i like to wing things lol

Some people dare to be different, which is awesome. Not everyone wants to pop their hood anbd see the same thing they see in every other "JDM wannabe engine bay"

If that's the case (which it might be), then why start with a honda platform (already way overdone). Let's start with a Kia and swap in a CR-VTEC to impress people. That' s different. Building/swapping a honda will never be different.

I never I said I wanted to be that different. I love Hondas. I'd like you to tell me when the lat time you saw a sol with a fully built N/A single cam was, and I'll be impressed. And even if you did, how many have ya seen? Not arguing, honestly, just think it's something I want. I am most def. keeping the D.

There is/was a Sol in LA with a built D16 that used to spank Greg Leone's ass, but this was a couple of years ago.

Why ZC FD in a Si? ZC = 3.888 or something and Si = 4.250. Put the Si FD into the ZC case.

No offense but parts alone won't do it. Clearances will.

There is/was a Sol in LA with a built D16 that used to spank Greg Leone's ass, but this was a couple of years ago.

Why ZC FD in a Si? ZC = 3.888 or something and Si = 4.250. Put the Si FD into the ZC case.

No offense but parts alone won't do it. Clearances will.

I know the Si FD is better for acceleration and would be awesome in a ZC case but i couldnt find a ZC tranny, actually never really looked hard enough. I found the FD around the time I stopped driving or even working on the car because that combo gave me a 186 top speed if i could ever reach that. plus my goal wasnt to be quick at that time obviously, just fast topspeed wise, it was quick enough but cuz i always found myself screwin around with other little racers on the freeway hitting 130+mph, i decided to get the ZC FD.

and to add to the being different convo... Ive always wanted things or came up with ideas that i figured no one or very little people would have. ive psted it on other topics but ive wanted to get a 1st gen crx because they are light and have a straight rear axle, then tube the rear end to fit two 1300cc hyabusa motors and direct drive them to the axle. i will still attempt this someday soon seeing as i have one motor down, one more to go, plus the shell of the rex. but who knows how soon. this isnt just to be fast cuz i dont even know if i will get it to the point of optimal drivability. i may give up on it but that would be beyond different, i havent seen anything too similar to that and it would haul ass if it came together right.

I never I said I wanted to be that different. I love Hondas. I'd like you to tell me when the lat time you saw a sol with a fully built N/A single cam was, and I'll be impressed. And even if you did, how many have ya seen? Not arguing, honestly, just think it's something I want. I am most def. keeping the D.

Ha.....I live in hick town man. I've never even seen a D series around here with an intake. Don't know that I've ever seen a fully built D in my life, so bad example (for me at least.

Ha.....I live in hick town man. I've never even seen a D series around here with an intake. Don't know that I've ever seen a fully built D in my life, so bad example (for me at least.

I can relate man, there is not much around here either.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so you want speedy daily SOAK. heres what you do. scratch the over 10k budget, plus scratch the NA set up. spent about 3 maybe 5 k on turbo kit and change your oil regularly. craps and giggles all day.

OOOOOOR you could just stop being foolish and spend 3.5k on a B18C1 and simple tell everyone it's a SOAK. the end. just dont pop your hood. WOoT! :dry:

k in my motor i had stock crank and rods ( grounded the weights down on the rods and balanced em) i cut the skirts on DOHC zc pistions and shoved em in my motor.... ported polished the head zex cam, i forget what company for valves,springs, and retianers, match ported my inttake with a DC header...

Archived