Nothing To Do with Honda... Just My Current Car

Alright Right now i have a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird (driving to save money) was thinking about doing a swap b/c it has a 2.0L SOHC 135 crank HP... Slow as Hell... i was gonna swap a Cobalt SS motor in it or put a stock turbo that the sunbird came with... and just now a few days ago i blew a head gasket and found out that the head is cracked but i have one spare Sunbird with no cracked head I just need to buy a gasket and turbo and do the Swap what Does everybody think or should i buy the Cobalt SS motor... oh and the turbo will put me up to a 0-60 time of 7.2 and the Cobalt SS motor has 216HP???? tell me what you think... (Richie is telling me to just get the Turbo and not to mess with the SS motor) :blush:

0-60 in 7.2 with a turbo motor is sad. I wouldn't even bother doing it if that's all you are going to get. Cobalt SS swap would probably be pretty expensive since all the motor/tranny etc are still really new. I'd seriously consider trading for anything with more potential.

Edit: This should be in "Engine Tuning, Upgrades and Swaps" section or "General Discussion" since this has nothing to do with a del sol. Mod's please move this.

0-60 in 7.2 with a turbo motor is sad. I wouldn't even bother doing it if that's all you are going to get. Cobalt SS swap would probably be pretty expensive since all the motor/tranny etc are still really new. I'd seriously consider trading for anything with more potential.

Edit: This should be in "Engine Tuning, Upgrades and Swaps" section or "General Discussion" since this has nothing to do with a del sol. Mod's please move this.

Actually it is really good since the 0-60 on the car with no turbo is 9 seconds... but 55-80mph on the stock engine with no boost is pretty decient... I've got plenty of Civics with my old one.... and the turbo that im getting os only $300 so I'm really considering that but still the cobalt is got a hell of alot more power... but i still want to see everyones opinion on this topic to see what is better... thanks B16Vtec :thumbsup:

oh yeah i forgot... the turbo that I have found is the stock turbo that goes on the Sunbird Turbo... i think it only has like 7psi... not much boost but its good enough to make the car a sleeper... but the 0-60 at 7.2 is with just the turbo... so its like a Sunbird turbo stock... then i might be able to make it a little faster by buying something but it wont have near as much potential as a B series or anything of that stature...

You can get the turbo for $300, but how much for everything else you'll need like oil lines, manifold, gaskets, etc. Oh, and you'll probably need a new ecu from a turbo sunbird and probably some sensors off that model. I don't know much about that car, but I know that the ecu will run differently and probably with different sensor's to monitor the boost and a/f stuff. If you can do everything for less than a grand it might not be too bad. It would get you running close to a B series w/ bolt ons. Oh, and don't forget piping and factory intercooler (if it has one). There's just a lot of little parts you'll have to make sure you remember.

Get both and put the turbo on the SS. You can use almost any turbo on any car as long as you can get a good machine shop to do the intake. Or at least thats what i've been told

No the Sunbird turbo wont work on the SS motor... 1. because the SS is supercharged and that would be dumb to put a turbo on it & 2. the turbo is only made for the 2.0L SOHC sunbird motor...

Thanks for the input anyway...:thumbsup:

That's stupid why would you turbo a supercharged 4cyl. What a waste of money that would be.

SolLesHonda- do you mean a 0-60 in a turbo car shouldn't be over 6 seconds? Cause most factory turbo'd cars have it in less than 6 not to mention stuff like you're building.

That's stupid why would you turbo a supercharged 4cyl. What a waste of money that would be.

SolLesHonda- do you mean a 0-60 in a turbo car shouldn't be over 6 seconds? Cause most factory turbo'd cars have it in less than 6 not to mention stuff like you're building.

yeah like the "SKYLINE"<omg I just creamed my pants :laugh: >

Very much edited .. just a typo .. Mine should be in the 4-5's.

No offense, but if you're driving it to save $$$, don't turn aroud and put $$$ into it!!!

Save your money for your real car. I know it's hard not to tinker with everything you own (I do it too), but control yourself man! I had a 86 Chev Nova (really a Toyota) with 68 HP, and even though I could have swaped the eng., I knew it wasn't worth the work, or the $$$. IMO, you should too!

No offense, but if you're driving it to save $$$, don't turn aroud and put $$$ into it!!!

Save your money for your real car. I know it's hard not to tinker with everything you own (I do it too), but control yourself man! I had a 86 Chev Nova (really a Toyota) with 68 HP, and even though I could have swaped the eng., I knew it wasn't worth the work, or the $$$. IMO, you should too!

+1. dont waste your money.

no im okay on the EVO there are just too many in tennessee... plus if i got an EVO i would want the one my friend has( EVO 9 MR) and i dont have the cash to buy that... but when i do buy a car its either going to be a Del Sol VTEC or 2000 Civic Hatch(EK) with a turbo GSR swap (friend has one like that) but im still leaning more to the Del Sol... thanks everyone for the information and the opinions !!!:thumbsup:

no im okay on the EVO there are just too many in tennessee... plus if i got an EVO i would want the one my friend has( EVO 9 MR) and i dont have the cash to buy that... but when i do buy a car its either going to be a Del Sol VTEC or 2000 Civic Hatch(EK) with a turbo GSR swap (friend has one like that) but im still leaning more to the Del Sol... thanks everyone for the information and the opinions !!!:thumbsup:

go big or go home.

lol just kidding. all good choices.

Archived