Trunk Rattle

onthefloor

When I used to run really loud systems, I filled all the seams of my trunk lid with silicone. My system had busted all the tack welds on the lid and rattled really bad. Filling it with silicone helped some. You might give that a shot before you spend your $200.

When I used to run really loud systems, I filled all the seams of my trunk lid with silicone. My system had busted all the tack welds on the lid and rattled really bad. Filling it with silicone helped some. You might give that a shot before you spend your $200.

you have pics of that?

I have heard 2 L7s in ported box (correctly tuned) and that mofo hits so damn HARD!!! with 1, im sure your civic rattles like crazy. The only way to decrease rattling (you can't stop it completely) is dynamat. I hear some people use other cheap stop found at home depot though. If I find the name of the stuff, i'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Properly applied dynamat can transform your sound system, and save your sheetmetal and ear drums. Buy it on ebay, you can do your whole car for $100 plus $30 for shipping. It's easy to do, and worth it's weight in gold. Finding WHERE the rattle is occurring can help a lot too. Many trunk lids rattle at the latch point, not within the sheetmetal or taillight assemblies. I put thin one-sided foam tape around the loop that the trunk latches to and it helps IF that is where it is vibrating.

Dynamat works on multiple levels. First, it adds to the mass of the panel it is applied to, so it just takes more force to vibrate the panel. Second, the sticky tar stuff transforms vibrational energy in to heat. Touch some dynamat on a trunk lid after a good bass session and you'll see. The metallic layer makes application easier (imagine trying to apply the black tar stuff without it).

If you are worried about the weight of the dynamat, doing a whole Civic adds around 100 lbs. Don't overlook cleaning the body panels before applying, because you dont' want that crap falling off.

If you are worried about the weight of the dynamat, doing a whole Civic adds around 100 lbs.

You are using way too much then. I have done my share of dyna matting cars, and it was no where near 100 lbs. unless they ahd ten JL W7's. You just need to do it right.

I was referring to dynamatting a WHOLE car... a sedan at that... all 4 doors, floor pan, firewall, roof, trunk floor, trunk lid, rear deck. It's in Honda Tuning as well on their project Integra sedan. They claim around 100 pounds as well for the same thing.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid rattling when u have a really powerful sound system. i have FOCAL in my trunk. i spent a lot of money buying different material to avoid rattling... unfortunately, there aren't any good results. i still have rattling. but it is ok! i think it is small payment for good and powerfull bassss :)

Well, for those who care about what the music sounds like INSIDE the car rather than OUTSIDE, Dynamat is just fine. I hope playing your system above 100dB and trashing your ear drums is worth it. Rattling sounds crapTY.. so ghetto... just turn your crap down and stop advertising you have a loud system to steal. Plus you make every other Honda owner look bad. We get stereotyped into the same category as the ghetto thumpers.

• 1 year later...
In Idaho if they can hear it AT ALL outside of your car (not kidding!) it is a $153.00 ticket.

Been there before... Supposedly if you've been warned more than once and there's a record of it they can snatch your subs right out of your trunk. I'm not sure how much I believe this, it seems like it should be illegal for them to do, but if they want my subs they're prying them from my cold dead fingers.

Now, back to the topic at hand, I saw something about putting 1-sided foam tape on the trunk latch loop? How does that hold up? Seems like it would get destroyed the first time you shut your trunk and/or gum up your latch. Any specific brand you find to be better? Also, does anyone else have an idea about what to do with a noisy latch?

As far as not being a "ghetto thumper" I'm curious why you're posting in a thread all about systems. Also, I don't think most people bump their systems just to show others it's there. (At least in my case) I listen to it because I enjoy a little bass with my music. Too much treble tends to give me a headache and makes me want to shoot the dumb bitch in the car next to me who's blaring Christina Aguilera through her stock speakers.

• 1 year later...

Archived