The Need for Speed

1991AccordDx

there are lots of ways to gain more ponies by doing simple things and still maintain your budget, start of with a cold air intake, thats an easy 12 hp gain, I suggest buying a VTECh Controller, you can find a good one on Ebay, remember, if you buy a VTEC Controller you will need to modify your fuel and air regulations, not hard and its only about 200-300 bucks on Ebay, depending on you how you tune it and your fuel and air system you will gain a litte over 50whp

lol :ph34r:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am in the same boat. I have a 2000 Accord sedan 5spd with 2.3L engine. I already put in an AEM cold-air intake, but I have 105,000 miles on the car. I bought it used with 48,000 miles 2 years ago and haven't had a single problem - I maintain it properly and my father works for Honda so I'm not really worried too much about things. At the same time, I don't want to modify it if it's only going to start falling apart soon anyway.

As stock, it was rated at 150hp / 152lb-ft at the crank. If I could bump it up to about 170~180hp that would be great. I just want more power along the entire power band... especially at lower RPMs, but I don't mind revving up high (it's a manual transmission) so if I can get more power out of the upper end of the power band that is fine too.

Depending on cost I will decide whether it is worth it for me modify the car. From what I've read, headers and exhaust and intake are all good place to start for better breathing. There is also the intake manifold, lowering kits, sway bars, springs, etc to help further with breathing / handling. After that cam gears, new clutch, fly wheels, new transmission possibly, and turbo. Real power gains don't exist until FI is added, which I don't want to do. How much $$ will the headers and exhaust cost me, and how much will i get out of it? Like I said I just want to get more out of my motor and maybe tighten up the handling a little more. It's an every day car, not for racing, so nothing crazy lol. Also, I still have stock 14" or 15" rims (whatever size they are) and was thinking about upgrading to 17" or 18" rims. Is this is a good or bad idea? Thanks. :)

If you are trying to get more out of your engine, dont go too big on the wheels. for all that money that you put into the engine, those big heavy wheels will take away. If you want flashy wheels just get some ricer 17'' 's but see how much they weigh.

You've got to be kidding me. So you'd say by the feel of them that it's a 4lb difference? That's like saying, that a CAI added 1hp, I can feel it in the quarter. Seriously, I'd almost garuntee your steelies weigh less than your 17's. But you could just put it all to rest if you take a picture of each one on a scale.

i couldn't believe my eyes when i started reading this thread, and now were comparing steelies and 17's ... to be honest, i think there is no way that your 17's weigh less ... and if they did, like b16vtec said, you will feel very little difference

i dont feel the difference while driving.. i felt the difference when taking off the stock steelies and putting on the 17s.. no there is no difference at all besides the traction and grip.

im not sure how much less they weighed but i know they did.

• 1 year later...

Archived