The Need for Speed

1991AccordDx

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are lots of ways to gain more ponies by doing simple things and still maintain your budget, start of with a cold air intake, thats an easy 12 hp gain, I suggest buying a VTECh Controller, you can find a good one on Ebay, remember, if you buy a VTEC Controller you will need to modify your fuel and air regulations, not hard and its only about 200-300 bucks on Ebay, depending on you how you tune it and your fuel and air system you will gain a litte over 50whp

I am in the same boat. I have a 2000 Accord sedan 5spd with 2.3L engine. I already put in an AEM cold-air intake, but I have 105,000 miles on the car. I bought it used with 48,000 miles 2 years ago and haven't had a single problem - I maintain it properly and my father works for Honda so I'm not really worried too much about things. At the same time, I don't want to modify it if it's only going to start falling apart soon anyway.

As stock, it was rated at 150hp / 152lb-ft at the crank. If I could bump it up to about 170~180hp that would be great. I just want more power along the entire power band... especially at lower RPMs, but I don't mind revving up high (it's a manual transmission) so if I can get more power out of the upper end of the power band that is fine too.

Depending on cost I will decide whether it is worth it for me modify the car. From what I've read, headers and exhaust and intake are all good place to start for better breathing. There is also the intake manifold, lowering kits, sway bars, springs, etc to help further with breathing / handling. After that cam gears, new clutch, fly wheels, new transmission possibly, and turbo. Real power gains don't exist until FI is added, which I don't want to do. How much $$ will the headers and exhaust cost me, and how much will i get out of it? Like I said I just want to get more out of my motor and maybe tighten up the handling a little more. It's an every day car, not for racing, so nothing crazy lol. Also, I still have stock 14" or 15" rims (whatever size they are) and was thinking about upgrading to 17" or 18" rims. Is this is a good or bad idea? Thanks. :)

Why is it funny? you tell me?

It's funny because a cold air intake won't give you 12 more horses. Without any other modifications there are no real gains from adding on a cold air intake. It's a wash. Additionally, adding on a chip is not going to give you 50 more horses either.

The only way to get more power is to increase the amount of fuel being burned. Two ways to do this:

Displacement

Forced induction

By increasing displacement there is more space for the gasoline to ignite inside the cylinders. You can pump in more fuel/oxygen and obviously get more combustion power.

By forcing more air into the cylinders it's kind of like having more displacement because now there is more air than there was before, but it is much more compressed. This also increases the amount of combustion force inside the cylinders.

Adding a chip will alter the fuel/oxygen ratio, but you are still stuck with the same displacement and no forced air. You will have poorer fuel economy and not a whole of power gain. Adding a cold air intake will help bring in slightly cooler air into the cylinders (cold air expands more than warm air) which will help the fuel to combust better, but it won't be noticeable.

I hope this all makes sense.... You can still get power gains without increasing displacement directly or adding forced induction (super / turbo charger). I am still looking into this because I'm not sure what exactly should be upgraded. When you go with larger exhaust pipes you reduce back pressure, which has a detrimental effect on low-end power, but will have a positive effect once the engine revs higher. :) Hope this helped.

Why is it funny? you tell me?

That you think you can gain 50whp from adding a vtec controller and that an intake gains 12 whp. That's hilarious. Hell Superstreet did dyno tests on every reputable intake maker out there and the best one only gained 6whp (and that was on a car that already had header and exhaust). You honestly believe that a vtec controller can put out close to the same horsepower as an entry level greddy turbo kit? Also hilarious. I"d like to see you gain 62 whp n/a period. The thought of that is also hilarious.

That you think you can gain 50whp from adding a vtec controller and that an intake gains 12 whp. That's hilarious. Hell Superstreet did dyno tests on every reputable intake maker out there and the best one only gained 6whp (and that was on a car that already had header and exhaust). You honestly believe that a vtec controller can put out close to the same horsepower as an entry level greddy turbo kit? Also hilarious. I"d like to see you gain 62 whp n/a period. The thought of that is also hilarious.

:laugh: servedd.

headers will run you about 350, intake about150, full exhaust 500+, intake manifold isn't really worth it unless you get a turbo or supercharger.. what are you looking for a drag car or an every day car? !!! !!! !!!

headers will run you about 350, intake about150, full exhaust 500+, intake manifold isn't really worth it unless you get a turbo or supercharger.. what are you looking for a drag car or an every day car? !!! !!! !!!

I am looking for an every day car. I don't race at all and I won't in this car. I just want to get more out of my engine... whatever I can get is fine. I already have an AEM cold air intake. I don't want it to be loud or flashy, just a little more pep. I did buy a xenon kit for around $300 - installed it a month or two ago it works great. I may also put rims on the car but I am hesitant... I like the M style rims like BMW has - something that looks like that would be nice, either 17" or 18". I just don't want the ride to deteriorate too much.

Anyway, what kind of gains can be had from new intake, headers, and full exhaust? Also, what are some good brands / types to get that offer good performance as well reliability, and aren't loud?

What I have already:

AEM cold air intake

Philips / Denso (sp?) xenon HID kit

What I am thinking of getting done:

17" or 18" rims

headers

exhaust

spoiler (Honda)

tint (maybe)

struts / sway bars

I say I want to keep things kind of conservative, but obviously rims are showy and an exhaust will likely be decently loud. I want the rims and spoiler for a sportier look. The tint is to offer privacy and help keep the sun out. Headers and exhaust would be for more pep, and the struts and sway bars would be to beef up the handling a little. I'm not looking for tremendous gains, but the more the merrier. I am looking to enhance the car a bit while not spending a whole lot of money. Are these things worth upgrading, or will it all just be a waste without FI?

If you don't want your exhaust to be loud then buy one that comes with an optional silencer and just put the silencer in. That's what I did and mine sounds pretty much stock until I hit the gas hard, then it sounds great and not like a fart can.

exactly. except it's not that hard to gain 62whp N/A.

What is necessary to successfully turbocharge a 4 cylinder Accord? Is it even worth doing?? My '00 Accord sedan is a 5spd manual with 105,000 miles on it. I've never had a single problem with it. It has enough pep for me, but I just had a stereo system put in that adds at LEAST 200-300lbs, which really kind of kills the acceleration, especially when I have passengers in the car or the AC on... blah. I don't race, but I still enjoy the feeling of brisk accleration.

Anyway, I am anticipating this car lasting me at least the next couple of years, about 20-30k miles per year. My dad works for Honda so I get cheaper prices on stuff and I have my own Honda mechanic we've been using for years. So everything is pretty good lol.

I found a few turbo kits for the 4cyl Accords (2.3L) that costs about $3600 roughly. I figure another couple hundred $$ to install, plus all the other stuff I have to upgrade (exhaust, clutch, tranny?, tires, suspension, headers.... what else?). I'm assuming $10k or less when all is said and done. My goal is just to have power when I want it. If it lasts for a while then I won't have to buy a new car, I'll have a sleeper of a sedan, and the system is already installed (which is roughly $10k retail :crazy: ).

Sooo.... is it worth it? What do I need to upgrade and what is the cost? I don't race, but I love the idea of having a sleeper sedan. The only thing is that this model year Accord doesn't look sporty or aggressive. I should also mention that I deliver pizza so I have to be prepared for all types of weather and road conditions, so lowering the car isn't really going to be a good idea. I do want it to handle better and I want added acceleration. Like I said I already have a xenon kit with the ballasts installed and I am considering 17" rims (Honda made if possible, and not anything flashy), and I want to get the Accord spoiler too. I MAY tint the windows but I have the gold colored Accord sedan and in NJ we can only legally tint the rear windows, so it will look a little cheesy I think. Fog lights would also be a pretty cool addition, and MAYBE dual exhaust if I go ahead with the turbo kit.

So if you guys could just help me out with what I will need to replace and generally how much it will cost for parts / labor. Have any of you turbo charged your 4cyl Accords? I don't race, but any turbo charged car is more efficient than a non-turbo car - I want to get everything out of this car that I can, assuming that it is going to last for some time. :) Thanks for the help guys.

to turbocharge any car is worth it but you gotta spend a little money i suggest if its going to be a daily driver to rip out the block and get a block guard and then get your self a small 5 pound turbo that way you gain a little power but it won't put a hole in your pocket.... but if you get a turbo make sure you get a block gaurd causew it will crack your block and then you'll really be fawked

to turbocharge any car is worth it but you gotta spend a little money i suggest if its going to be a daily driver to rip out the block and get a block guard and then get your self a small 5 pound turbo that way you gain a little power but it won't put a hole in your pocket.... but if you get a turbo make sure you get a block gaurd causew it will crack your block and then you'll really be fawked

block gaurds don't do anything and there is no such thing as a "small 5 pound turbo".

if you're going to boost, get a T3/T4.

Archived