Top Speed on S2K

YGOSLOW

Anyone ever top out their S2000? I did today (1st day I've owned my 2002 S2K Supercharged) and I was very disappointed. Didn't even come close to the 163 published in magazines - almost seemed like there was a governor on it?! Need to research tomorrow!

Anyway - post your highest acheived speed and if you topped it out!

Thanks!

1. Top speed doesn't matter. You will never hit your top speed at a drag strip, and probably never hit it at a track either.

2. You are stupid for doing that on the street.

3. You are stupid for doing that in a car you don't even know the characteristics of.

4. Actualy speed and indicated speed are totally different.

5. Take the S/C off and you'll top out at the same speed.

Those are pretty ignorant statements considering you have no idea where I take my cars out here to do top speed runs or the background I have! :thumbsup:

I have a 911 TT that I topped out over 190mph - so I think trying to hit 160mph in this S2K is not that big of deal.>_<

Another point, if the car is 25-30mph shy of published top speed there's likely a problem with the vehicle or there's a governor. I have a ton of experience driving cars at very high speeds considering I've owned many cars that will top 180+...maybe you have never had the balls to try being in the triple digits let alone top speeds - your problem - not mine! w00t

Yes.. I know actual and indicated are 2 different things - that's why when I do top end runs I use a GPS - thx for the note though! I know about the S/C rule to - gee I'm back in grade school! :-"

Anyway - FYI - the car seemed to hit a wall before hitting 140mph - point is - there is needed tuning or car needs to be examined for issues! Thanks for driving through! w00t

speed limiter on the eclipse is 135, i've done it 3 times...last being about 6 months ago. i'll probably never do it again...reasons?

1. i was running from a cop the last time i did it, because i was clocked already doing 100mph next to a friend. i'm sure it looked like i was racing with him, so i ran. no ticket. i got LUCKY.

2. it puts a lot of stress on the car. my car has 100k on it. i'm sure your s2k probably has a lot less than that...maybe its even brand new. however, you will still run into problems in the future if you continue to do this on a regular basis. as i'm sure you know already, since you say you've owned many high end cars.

3. its just plain dumb. the first time i hit my speed limiter i was on my way to school and i had just blown away a v8 camaro. feeling happy with a friend in the car i decided not to slow down. no cops, no wrecks. lucky. the last time i hit my speed limiter it was 2 in the morning on a semi-country road. if a deer or drunk bum would have jumped out in front of me not only would they have been dead, so would i. i know you think you're invincible in the middle of nowhere in nevada...but obviously you've never heard the tale of the guy who got suckered into a 200mph speeding ticket.

dude, whats the point of top speed anyway? who cares if you can do 180mph? or 160mph? or even 135? big f*cking deal. you'll still get beat by the sleeper in the dsm next to you who has a speed limiter.

a word of advice. stick with the higher end cars, that way whenever you crash and die you'll make headlines. "idiotic person wrecks ferrari; dies"

To SSR:

If doing top end runs qualifies as a fracktard then I guess all of our magazine drivers and racers are fracktards! You also mentioned the salt flats - those guys must be idoits too. Then there's races like the Silver State Classic where it's all about averaging a high end speed over miles to win prestigious championships that involves amateur racers like myself! But I guess we are all fracktards cuz you must just enjoy the 1/4 mile - kinda like your sex life with your boyfriend! GET A LIFE! :o

and to Optional....

The whole moral to the story is this... this car that has 16k miles on it should easily be hitting 150+ - just like my 911TT should do 190+ and my late C5 170+ - I don't make a habit of driving at these speeds however as a serious car fanatic I will take my car somewhere desolate and test it's capabilities! And sorry to tell you but in the middle of the day in the middle of the desert there is nothing that will cross the road - but that's funny s*it! Anyway, doing 130 or 150 in a car is not that fast to begin with - sorry to say. But it's interesting when a vehicle doesn't perform up to specs and you have to wonder why - thus the post on this thread. :crazy:

Instead of good feedback (as I get on forums re: my porsche or vette) I get these fairy a*s responses - oh well! It's too bad people like SSR and Optional give honda drivers the raps they get! -_- Then again - from looking at their profiles they are little young punks (17 yrs old) who think they have some kinda mature wisdom - go figure! No offense to any of the rest of you honda-teers! :thumbsup:

it might be your rev limiter.

If you get a hondata system you should be able to push it back....i am not sure what an s2k redlines at....i wish i had one lol.

But i have heard from alot of people that they are slower then what everyone believes....

have you ever owned/had expericance with a MKIV?

you sound like you got some cash to burn, so just asking

00-03 s2k redline is 9k

they are decent performance-wise, but not the INSERT-CAR-HERE-killers that all of the ricers who have seen the fast and the furious believe them to be.

Doing "top speed runs" on the street qualifies you as a fracktard, people or no people doesn't matter.

You can't read either.

It's a 2.0 liter RWD with gearing made for a road course, of course it won't have a high top speed.

I hate drag racing.

I'm not gay.

I'm 17, so what? I own my own shop and know more about cars than you do.

00-03 s2k redline is 9k

actually its 8900rpm :thumbsup:

and the 04 rev limiter was pushed down to 7900rpm :)

good day

james

ps. although 160 is a lil crazy, everyone must push the envelope at some point.

1990-integra, jspec LS, i/h/e i got to 137, if i had the chance to do it again, i wouldnt...well not in that car :)

1991 mr2, stock turbo ~15psi tuned, got to 127 (govener) although over 100+mph, the car gets well...a lil scary, with no weight in the front, its hard to ensure that you have the appropriate steering control, considering the front end gets light as a feather :)

MKIV supras top out 5th gear at ~170 +/- considering what the EMS has in mind for a rev limiter. we see that all the time on the net, but it doesnt mean its an everyday thing ;)...be carefull you guys

it might be your rev limiter.

If you get a hondata system you should be able to push it back....i am not sure what an s2k redlines at....i wish i had one lol.

But i have heard from alot of people that they are slower then what everyone believes....

have you ever owned/had expericance with a MKIV?

you sound like you got some cash to burn, so just asking

Yes indeedy - it redlines at 9000 but like I said I had plenty of RPMs left.

And no - never owned (but came real close) to buying an MKIV...

I have owned in reverse order:

2001 911 TT

2002 Saleen Mustang KB Supercharged (still own - should get back in a week or so dyno expected 600+ rwhp)

1999 C5 Vette

1996 C4 LT4 Vette

1992 Dodge Stealth TT

1990 Eagle Talon Turbo

1989 Mustang GT

These are the sport cars I've owned - not gonna list all the others - oh but I had a 1998 Grand Cherokee with the 5.9 in it that rocked!!

You can't read either.

It's a 2.0 liter RWD with gearing made for a road course, of course it won't have a high top speed.

I hate drag racing.

I'm not gay.

I'm 17, so what? I own my own shop and know more about cars than you do.

Your boyfriend said you real gay :laugh:

oh - and your 2 years of auto mechanics does qualify you as a know it all - sorry! Gee.... all the knowledge and wisdom you possess must be mind boggling! And you own your own shop? Is it in daddy's garage! Like I said before - get a life!!! :-"

Your boyfriend said you real gay :laugh:

oh - and your 2 years of auto mechanics does qualify you as a know it all - sorry! Gee.... all the knowledge and wisdom you possess must be mind boggling! And you own your own shop? Is it in daddy's garage! Like I said before - get a life!!! :-"

wow, you're really immature.

you gain knowledge by listening to knowledgable people and working on cars. if you do something wrong, you learn from the mistakes and fix it. if you do something right, you try to figure out a way to make it even better.

Bill Roberts is a friend of mine and now owns and runs AutoLab here in Louisville, KY. he started building up his own cars in his parent's garage. eventually, he stepped up to swapping Honda and Toyota engines. he bought his own warehouse type garage, complete with thousands of dollars worth of tools and lifts and such. he does swaps and maintenance work, does completely custom turbo setups....everything.

moral of the story: you gotta start somewhere!

just like I'm proud of Bill, I'm proud of SSR for doing what he's doing and not getting discouraged by idiots like you.

yadi yadi yadda!

What - now Big Bird needs to fight your battles too? (btw - that's an ugly a*s del sol you own - u actually go out in public in that?)

Jesus - you guys from KY are real ASSanine 2 yr olds - but whatever! I didn't start the trash talking and it's condescending p*riks like u that make the car sport sometimes unenjoyable! But whatever!

And FYI - I didn't trade in my 911 TT for a Honda S2000 - I still own my Porsche and my Saleen - the S2000 is my girlfriend's car that we just picked up last week! Sorry I can afford more than one car dips*it!

Archived