Lower Control Arm

EDDIE Z

Hey all I was recently installing my adjustable springs. when I moved to the do the back I snapped my bolt off that holds the shock and the lower control arm in place I can't seem to get it out of there. I'm rly low on cash just started working so its going to have to wait to be fixed for at least 2 weeks. So my question is how safe is it to be driving around like this? This car is my DD. Thnx for input.

I did do some research and it seems that the bolt is seized in there. But didn't find anything rly on how safe it is to drive. My guess is that it can't be to dangerous since its seized there for it can't just pop out from driving can it?

29qik5x.jpg

sure, go for a drive, hit a few pot holes, then wonder why a few minutes later your back drivers side chassis is dragging on the ground.

aka

not safe, pound the bolt out, and put a new one in. Hardware is cheap, go to the store and buy metric 10.9 bolts.

If I pound it out its gonna fck up the bushing in the control arm I need to replace the whole arm and I'm sure I'm gonna have to replace the other as well. Just wondering how safe it was guess not very sux bin out of a car for while now. I'm thinking Skunk 2 or blox?

ima agree with raley and cmgogo. its not gonna be safe at all. and i would skip out on skunk2 or blox lcas. iv heard nothing but bad things about the bushings in them. you can try function and form lcas, they have polyurethane bushings if i remember correctly.

http://www.robearracing.com/pd-function-form-f2-lower-control-arms-civicintegra.cfm

im running (legit) S2's the bushings are holding up great. Most of the threads I have seen about crappy S2 parts are from people who bought clone S2 parts.

I am personally running S2 LCAs, UCA's, shocks and springs with a bennen rear tie. I am also running clone S2 rear camber kits. Guess what the only part is that has failed (bushings tore out), the clone rear camber kits.

Gotta pay to play ;)

I probably am going with S2's. They should hold up just fine this is just my DD nothing special. Hopefully I can get my car back on the road in then next two weeks this sux.

cmgogo you said you got just the s2 shock/spring combo for 380 right? where did you get it for that price? iv seen them for 500ish but no cheaper.

i should take back my post about the s2 lcas cuz iv only heard the bad stuff on the blox. and that is just the bushings being made out of rubber. i personally havent heard anything bad about the s2s. reason i say that is blox and s2 are mostly the same things right? and blackwerks

the only complaint i've ever seen about the skunk2's (legit of course is because the bushings are so NEW they're kind of a pain to fit into the stock location. bushings overall are bigger, and better. i had a bad experience trying to get some in myself in my old ej6.

online, cant remeber from where tho, but I called before i placed my order, got the Serial # and the S2 Vendor# for the kit, then called S2 to verify they were legit and they were. I think it was ebay actually.

Also just FYI the prices have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years due to depreciation of the dollar and that there is less demand for the parts so they need to bump up prices to make up for lack in sales.

no, you reuse the factory bolts, just like with most (99%) of aftermarket parts. Or you can order oem ones from honda, or go to a local fastenall store and get some.

WOW! YOU ARE SO frackED! Don't worry chief this happens to every pre 95 Honda when removing the rear lca bolt, there has been so many thousands of pounds of weight on it for years then you just go hitting it with an impact, of course it is going to snap. My suggestion, buy aftermarket lower control arms, buy an air hammer w/ a chisel bit and stick that sucker in a vice and have at it, or run to your closest napa and buy basically an oe replacement. The choice is yours. If you do go the air hammer route though, you are probably going to shred the bushing within the control arm though. Just replace the lca bolts with ones of the same length/thread pitch. You wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get my setup to work......

36679_10150210204385018_709255017_12789929_4077535_n.jpg

Your ass looks a little like my ass.

I replaced my lca's with cheap blox because the cost for replacing the OE bushings was about the same for whole new arms. I haven't had any bushing problems but they haven't seen winter or any rain in three years/5000 miles.

DSCF1904.jpg

Archived