NGK vs Bosch

This is my first Honda ever and I need to replace the spark plugs. The Dealer wants $325. I told them to start smoking something other than crack. Dealer said it's a delicate procedure that only Certified Honda Mechanics should attempt and blah, blah, blah. The dealer then strongly recommended I bring the car in for the service and to not attempt it myself . I said no and threw my friends phone down and then ran to the closet just like when my Mama would yell at me.

What are we talking about here? Look, I understand that matching the correct heat range on the replacement part is critical for performance and fuel economy and longevity and yata, yata, yata..., but really........ $325!?!

Have I been asleep for the last 20 years and suddenly spark plug replacement has become major surgery?

Can someone assist me with a recommended spark plug brand and heat range for a 2004 Accord V6 AT?

Any and all assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Ngk from autozone... timing belt cover should have the part number on it...

Are you sure the dealer was only doing plugs?

Yep, I wanted a clear description of the service and it's cost. I was told by Jim Coleman Honda of Clarksville, MD that to R&R for the coil packs, allen screws and plastic brackets and $28/ plug was the entire service, the rest was profit I guess. !!!

Yep, I wanted a clear description of the service and it's cost. I was told by Jim Coleman Honda of Clarksville, MD that to R&R for the coil packs, allen screws and plastic brackets and $28/ plug was the entire service, the rest was profit I guess. !!!

Oh yeah, and Thanks!

if its just spark plugs that need to be replaced then just go to you local auto store and buy some would make much more sense to do that yourself considering your saving about 300 bucks.

As far as brand i stick with good ol NGK's, bosch are ok but not worth it...you can always go with Denso if you wanted to go on a cheaper plug but yeah the NGK's are the route you should stick with

Okay maybe they have a different definition of R&R but in aviation R&R means Remove and Replace. And for that price... thats not too bad for shop install + parts (plugs, wires, coilpacks), however if it just means Remove and Reinstall (old wires and coil packs) then yeah, your getting ripped off. Also $28 a plug is fking high, i would go onto majestic honda and get their prices for "OEM Spark Plugs" because odds are they are asking for 1/2 that.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay maybe they have a different definition of R&R but in aviation R&R means Remove and Replace. And for that price... thats not too bad for shop install + parts (plugs, wires, coilpacks), however if it just means Remove and Reinstall (old wires and coil packs) then yeah, your getting ripped off. Also $28 a plug is fking high, i would go onto majestic honda and get their prices for "OEM Spark Plugs" because odds are they are asking for 1/2 that.

Thanks, yes the dealer stated that the only new parts would be the plugs, everything else was to be removed and re-installed. Unreal, right!

Which plugs will give me the best gas mileage and a smoother idle, NGK or the factory installed DENSO's? I use mid grade fuel and cruise at 70-75mph well over 600+ miles weekly. I currently get 26-30 depending on traffic. They are factory plugs my '04 with 120K on them. Can I expect better mileage with fresh plugs and nothing else? I looked on the timing belt cover and did not see the part # mentioned. Do I need to remove anything to see it or would it be in plain sight without removing parts?

Also, I put a fuel system treatment in monthly, I notice a difference on the very next tank full (good for about 2 more mpg), but that's it till the next time. Wasted money or what? Am I hurting anything? The dealer ALWAYS says to bring it in for a "Fuel System Treatment" which they will happily charge me $200 for. But I know it doesn't need all that. If it did, I wouldn't be getting 26-30 mpg, right?

if its just spark plugs that need to be replaced then just go to you local auto store and buy some would make much more sense to do that yourself considering your saving about 300 bucks.

As far as brand i stick with good ol NGK's, bosch are ok but not worth it...you can always go with Denso if you wanted to go on a cheaper plug but yeah the NGK's are the route you should stick with

Thanks, I appreciate it. That said, which gets better mileage or at this point they're all the same?

Ive done them on a v6.... its easy but just warm up the car first.

Thanks, great tip!

Thanks, I appreciate it. That said, which gets better mileage or at this point they're all the same?

Well to tell you the truth the gas mileage really isnt effected all that much soley just on spark plugs...its overall factor, filters, wires, plugs, etc

Archived