Anyone run two sizes of tires on their car?

OSOLMIO

I was wondering if anyone here runs narrower tires on the front and wide tires on the back? If so, what size do you run?

Also:

1. What is the best rim width to install on the Del Sol?

2. What offset works best that will keep tires tucked inside the wheel wells? I have seen everything from +38 to 42 in a 7 inch rim for sale. To me it looks like if a 225 width tire was installed on a 7 inch rim it would rub against the inside of the body or tub area. But that is the size I was thinking of but want to avoid the rub.

3. Is it best to stay with the stock diameter if going from a 14" stock wheel to 15" aftermarket, can I go up 1 inch in size?

I do not want to make the mistake I did with my old Focus buying the wheels and tires on line and then selling them on Craigslist because they did not fit on the car after I installed Eibachs on it. I would like any suggestions and the car is a daily driver, at least when it is not raining hard.

Why would one put wider tires on the rear of a FWD car?

I think a 40 offset 7" wide is perfect on Sol, I am going to run either a 205\45\16, or a 195\55\15. Depends on the rims I get.

Why would one put wider tires on the rear of a FWD car?

Because they are stupid and want better steering with a narower tire and not wear out the bearings and related parts, oh and the most important part...because they think it looks "cool" and I put a lot of heavy items in the cavernous trunk.

Because they are stupid and want better steering with a narower tire and not wear out the bearings and related parts, oh and the most important part...because they think it looks "cool" and I put a lot of heavy items in the cavernous trunk.

Truly you hardly get much easier steering than in a Sol. Think about how it would effect tire rotations.

Truly you hardly get much easier steering than in a Sol. Think about how it would effect tire rotations.

Wel if you were a limp wristed f...never mind. I guess I can discount steering issues but I am of the school of thought that it is better to buy two front tires than replace all four at one time.

true that, stick with same size unidirectionals and you should be fine.

Sounds logical I am just trying to determine what size rimns and tires would be optimum. Like 15" or 16" inch diameter to replace the 14" on my Si? 6" or 7" wide? 30mm or 42mm +offset. I don't want the tires sticking out beyond the fenders but I do want as wide as possible rims and tires. Oh yeh and 50, 55 or 60 serie profiles? I will never go back to 45, 40 or 35's.

Sounds logical I am just trying to determine what size rimns and tires would be optimum. Like 15" or 16" inch diameter to replace the 14" on my Si? 6" or 7" wide? 30mm or 42mm +offset. I don't want the tires sticking out beyond the fenders but I do want as wide as possible rims and tires. Oh yeh and 50, 55 or 60 serie profiles? I will never go back to 45, 40 or 35's.

If thats the case go with a 195\55\15 and a 7" rim. I assume you hated the ride of the 35-45 series tires?

If thats the case go with a 195\55\15 and a 7" rim. I assume you hated the ride of the 35-45 series tires?

Yeh, something like that with 35 series, I should have saved the money on tires and just driven on the rims. Being a Geezer, the bouncing and slamming has a direct affect on the prostate. You'll find out someday when you get older that knowing the distance between rest areas on the freeway and how many blocks between public restrooms will be more important than turbo diameter and intercooler size. I used to be able to drive from Boise to Hailey and only stop once at Twin Falls....now, It takes me a week and I can't keep track of the stops thanks to the 35's.

i have 17s and 205's

Sweetie, how low of a profile did you have to go to fit the 17's inside the wells, looks like it might be 30's....OUCH!!!!

Yeh, something like that with 35 series, I should have saved the money on tires and just driven on the rims. Being a Geezer, the bouncing and slamming has a direct affect on the prostate. You'll find out someday when you get older that knowing the distance between rest areas on the freeway and how many blocks between public restrooms will be more important than turbo diameter and intercooler size. I used to be able to drive from Boise to Hailey and only stop once at Twin Falls....now, It takes me a week and I can't keep track of the stops thanks to the 35's.

Hideous 17's with 40 offset, and 205\40\17 lowered about same amount as you are now.

HPIM0899.jpg

Same rims I am looking at getting again. 205\45\R16 same drop 40 offset as well

HPIM1076.jpg

My black Sol lowered same as Samba on stock SI rims with 185\75\R14's (I think it was)

HPIM3137.jpg

I like 205/50/15's I won't go any lower of a profile than that.

DO you know your offset? Also, do you think there is enough offset for 225's to still fit without rubbing the fender lips?

Where did you get the graphics of the four angles of the gray Del Sol? I am looking for something like that in a larger size of a white Del Sol so I can draw up some sort of custom two tone paint design

DO you know your offset? Also, do you think there is enough offset for 225's to still fit without rubbing the fender lips?

Where did you get the graphics of the four angles of the gray Del Sol? I am looking for something like that in a larger size of a white Del Sol so I can draw up some sort of custom two tone paint design

The wheels are LS integra Mesh rims. love em on there since day one 4 years ago...I'm just about tucking in the front so I doubt with my altered ride height a 225 would fit. However in the rear yes i'm sure they would.

My sig is called pixel cars. I had someone on d-series.org make it for me..but I think one of the guys here might make them as well..Possibly Preston??

Archived