Aftermarket brakes questions????

OSOLMIO

I would lke to "upgrade" my brakes to "cool" more than anything else so I am considering installing drilled rotors to start with and possibly Brembo rotors. Does anyone know if they are exact replacements for stock rotors in fit, form and function? Also what has been your experience with drilled rotors? I am thinking of using Brembo rotors with stock calipers and pads but I do not know if that is actually possible even though Tire Rack says it is. I am looking for opinions and recommendations.

THANKS!

Yes if you buy them for your car you will not have any issues using the stock calipers. You should just upgrade your pads as well since you're taking everything apart anyway. Also the cross drilled rotors will wear your pads away faster.

Brembo Rotors With Hawk Pads. FTW

But unless u do big brake kit its hard.. I didnt go with Brembo rotors i went with another brand. But i like them. Although Brembo are nice its hard to find one site that sells both front and back

Yes if you buy them for your car you will not have any issues using the stock calipers. You should just upgrade your pads as well since you're taking everything apart anyway. Also the cross drilled rotors will wear your pads away faster.

Actually drilled rotors wont change pad wear much, its the slotted bastards that wear them out quick!:p

I've used Stoptech rotors and EBC green stuff pads on several Hondas to very good effect. Basically, they feel very similar to stock and stop about the same on the first couple hard stops. It's after you've had a few hard stops (corners) in a row that the upgraded rotors and pads start to make a significant difference. The penalty is a big more brake dust and slightly faster wear, but not much.

What exactly are you looking for in a brake system?? Are you doing any AutoX, are you looking for better pedal feel, better response, just replacing old worn parts, figured you might as well upgrade? I am assuming the last one is the category you fall in? If so stay away from slotted rotors, drilled as I said before really dont effect pad life that much, and will get you your "cool" look you are going for. While also being lighter, and if you go with a quality rotor will be made from better and most likely lighter material (any time you can eliminate unsprung weight is good). Also being of a better material will react better with a performance brake pad. How ever pick your pads accordingly to best match the material of the rotors.

Don't know where you live or if this is a daily drive. Drilled rotors I would worry about cracks in the winter time, not sure where you live again.

Also I've had green stuff & hawk brake pads, I like both, hawk has a little more brake dust.

GL,

J

Don't know where you live or if this is a daily drive. Drilled rotors I would worry about cracks in the winter time, not sure where you live again.

Also I've had green stuff & hawk brake pads, I like both, hawk has a little more brake dust.

GL,

J

Typically that has more to do with the material and quality of the rotor than the elements. Ebay rotors are famous for cracking!:crazy:

What exactly are you looking for in a brake system?? Are you doing any AutoX, are you looking for better pedal feel, better response, just replacing old worn parts, figured you might as well upgrade? I am assuming the last one is the category you fall in? If so stay away from slotted rotors, drilled as I said before really dont effect pad life that much, and will get you your "cool" look you are going for. While also being lighter, and if you go with a quality rotor will be made from better and most likely lighter material (any time you can eliminate unsprung weight is good). Also being of a better material will react better with a performance brake pad. How ever pick your pads accordingly to best match the material of the rotors.

You are right it is for daily driving. I am not sure that at 15 year old the car will take autocrossing.

stoptech blanks, axxis ultimate pads, SS braided lines and super blue brake fluid! great setup! :D

Thanks for the reminder to upgrade all the other brake related items. Yeh, I gess I can change out the hardware but if the brake lines are old and worn out and the fluid has been in the car from day one from the factory I won't get all the benefits of new hardware.

GL,

J

I live in the Pacific Northwest, near Portland, OR...not real cold winters like Chicago, but almost 9 months of rain and it is a daily driver unless I can't get the leaks to stop then it will be a summer car.

Typically that has more to do with the material and quality of the rotor than the elements. Ebay rotors are famous for cracking!:crazy:

I have read at other forums that e-Bay aftermarket stuff can be garbage that is made of substandard materials, counterfeits and simply do not fit or work. Maybe I will start another thread relating to that because e-Bay is where I do most of my on-line "window shopping" for replacement parts.

Ebay is fine, just dont buy ebay brand products

Indeed Ebay will have the best prices, on the good stuff as well. I have a ton of great sellers from Ebay, that I have used multiple times!

Ebay is fine, just dont buy ebay brand products

Okay sorry for not being specific....I meant items offered for sale on e-Bay not e-Bay brand, I know they are not a manfacturer. I have received Nike's I was the high bidder on that might have been hand carved with an exacto knife from rubber in Haiti or Pakistan with what looked like twine or hemp shoelaces. Brakes are items I do not want to the chance of using knock offs or made of substandard counterfeit parts and materials. Some suppliers from China think that duplicating the appearance of a part is all the is required with no regard to the integrity and qualification of materials and possibly resulting in premature and or catastrophic failure.

Okay sorry for not being specific....I meant items offered for sale on e-Bay not e-Bay brand, I know they are not a manfacturer. I have received Nike's I was the high bidder on that might have been hand carved with an exacto knife from rubber in Haiti or Pakistan with what looked like twine or hemp shoelaces. Brakes are items I do not want to the chance of using knock offs or made of substandard counterfeit parts and materials. Some suppliers from China think that duplicating the appearance of a part is all the is required with no regard to the integrity and qualification of materials and possibly resulting in premature and or catastrophic failure.

If you want some good sellers for items LMK I am the local Ebay whore here!:laugh: I sell alot on there, and buy tons. When I say tons I am meaning thousands a month, mostly tools, but a lot of car parts as well!:)

Archived