update on sol

DelSolSweetie

so car show in a few weeks.. ive never done much in the engine bay therefore i never pop the hood.. this year i thought i should

I already have header wrap on the way (to cool the temp in that bay and cause the header is like a rainbow.. also am going to try purple ice instead of water wetter in the radiator)

going to scrub/paint the engine bay black and probably tuck/clean up some of the wires.. already don't have a/c and i hate the wires just sitting there looking horrible

also need to paint the valve cover (when radiator busted a few months ago it kinda melted half the paint on the VC)

as far as the wires.. i found cleangsr's thread about wire tucks but i dont want to go crazy with it (like he didnt) I dont want to sit there and extend all those wires since it is a DD

but what does everyone use to clean their bays? i've never been super crazy about a clean bay but I need it awesome for the show and it will stay that way hopefully.. if mike was closer i would just pay him to do it :crazy: highs of 30 degrees and trying to scrub an engine bay are going to suck anyway back to the question.. what products do you guys use?

already have the paint for the VC.. need to get engine bay paint and make sure i have a lot of tape/bags.. i thought about pulling the motor but idk if ill have time for that :( promise i wont ghetto the bay up though

as far as outside.. i have some chips (being a DD and the paint guy not prepping it right sucks) but friend at oreileys said we can try to match it as close as possible and if they dont have some that matches we can send off and get some made.. probably going to get the whole car painted in summer hopefully.. and prepped correctly

going to spray the inner fender well black (still samba :crazy: ) you cant really see it but it would make me feel better

also.. the little liner around the wheel well.. should i take em off and paint under them.. or take them off and replace them? or leave them alone? they look like butt and annoy me so i would love to take them off but i dont know if i should wait till summer when i get it repainted or just do it now

oh and new headlights.. thinking ones like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-1995-H...=item35a631b20d

the crystal corners look nice on the car already.. not really thinking projectors would look too good.. and black would probably look really strange on it.. i have a lot of option for civics which is cool... (feel free to photoshop if your bored seb :) )

and going to straigten up bumpers/hood of course.. thats not hard though

anyway to sum up questions: 1) what products under the hood? 2) take off liners around fender well or wait? comment on whatever else you guys feel like

you should always open your hood at a show, open your car up as much as possible. also clean underbody of car very well and wheels bring some back to black and wipe down all the weather stripping and everything. armor works great as well but i dont like that stuff..

i have brought home several trophy's last year and got several compliments on a clean engine bay. i have took home 1ST place best honda, 2nd place best honda, 1ST Place best Honda other, 3rd place best paint 3rd place best import, and a few others and repetive ones.

But opening your car up and cleaning it is number 1. Also dont have a cocky attitude when the judge ask you why you did something to your car or what you have done.

DSC_7667.jpg

i know how to set the outside up for a show.. we go to this one every year but i didnt worry about the under hood last year cause it was raining so damn much and it was outside.. didnt feel like under the hood getting soaked

i dont use armor all.. tends to dry stuff out unless you use it all the time... i started using ice products for waxing (used to use more expensive waxes but ice beats them IMO)... as for seals use mothers back to black.. works great.. tires normally gets black magic/meguirers

fyi preston.. i have been to shows before.. been going to them for a while actually.. i asked about the seals around the fenders and the best products to get under the hood clean cause some i have used leave a weird after color or just dont work.. i KNOW how to clean the outside of the car up so please dont act like im new to shows

& this show doesnt work like normal shows either... speaking its normally 30 degrees and raining every year.. but they always have the most f'ed up catagories.. last year the scions had their own group and then everyother import car was in one group (so every honda/nissan/etc) was in the same group.. this year they are actually giving honda their own.. scion their own.. and then everyone else in one haha

i normally go to more shows but i've been slack this year.. got a trophy from the smaller nopi event in summer but thats all we've went to.. cause i didnt feel like waking up for the other ones.. hahaha

i know how to set the outside up for a show.. we go to this one every year but i didnt worry about the under hood last year cause it was raining so damn much and it was outside.. didnt feel like under the hood getting soaked

i dont use armor all.. tends to dry stuff out unless you use it all the time... i started using ice products for waxing (used to use more expensive waxes but ice beats them IMO)... as for seals use mothers back to black.. works great.. tires normally gets black magic/meguirers

exactly what i was saying..

if it was raining you open it up when it stops.. deff when the judge is there.. i judged cars for a show before we actually take off points if you dont have a mod list ready and how your display is weather u have mirrors under your car or u pull it on carpet so on.. But usually if you dont show your engine bay weather its stock out not.. that means to us you dont show full pride of your car. which deducts points.

sara dont use back to black on the seals, it can damage them, just keep them conditioned with some shin etsu and it will keep them black, as far as trim panels however I do have to agree back to black is the best. As far as what i use to clean the bay...

Run car up to temp, moisten it, then spray a 50/50 dilution of purple power and water over the bay with a foaming gun. Let it sit for a few minutes, then spray off, and repeat about 3 or 4 times till its pretty damn well clean. Then I get some nospit tire dressing and use that on my hoses, belts, and plastics.

year before last (picked it up from the paint shop and took it down):

l_5dbc81702ac4dba5a77f899f847cede0.jpg

l_d4195ab29b7076caec1f946b2e56f340.jpg

l_371afff004b0170bfce8b8f67c7f6ef4.jpg

last years crappy weather: (hood also wasnt popped cause we were tearing that motor out like the week after so i didnt feel like spending that much time on it.. cause it was spewing oil out of the vtec controller haha... put the rims on a week or two before the show.. just realized in on year i went through 3 sets of rims haha)

dsc09872.jpg

dsc09871.jpg

DSCF1093.jpg

crappy weather sucks: cant see pearl. rims dont look pretty enough, cant keep that nasty black road stuff off the white........

anyway.. from last year till now i got the motor swap done and all that... wish i had some del sol seats :(

preston: cant pop the hood when it rains ALL DAY... seriously all day.. and the judges at this particular show are so unorganized its crazy.. at a NORMAL show yes what you are saying about judges is correct.. this show everyone is hungover as hell and they start an hour later then they should (as you can tell from previous pics it rained both years)

sara dont use back to black on the seals, it can damage them, just keep them conditioned with some shin etsu and it will keep them black, as far as trim panels however I do have to agree back to black is the best. As far as what i use to clean the bay...

Run car up to temp, moisten it, then spray a 50/50 dilution of purple power and water over the bay with a foaming gun. Let it sit for a few minutes, then spray off, and repeat about 3 or 4 times till its pretty damn well clean. Then I get some nospit tire dressing and use that on my hoses, belts, and plastics.

the mothers stuff i have has never hurt my seals and i know other people who use it.. last time i used purple power it left a weird white film kinda on the black parts of the motor

This was accomplished in 30 min of cleaning, little brush work at all! 109,000 miles of accumulation, of grime, oil, and soap residue removed in no time at all. Also no dressing in that pic! :thumbsup:

HPIM1257.jpg

yah wish mine looked like that :crazy:

wish i could clean up my header but i would rather wrap it.. since the car does see track time i would rather header wrap it.. still looks okay and actually helps

anyone know someone parting out a sol? besides the seats i need the middle panel in the back.. not the corner ones that cover the speakers but the middle panel.. the stupid previous owners lost it or something

help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3D10%26ps%3D63

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3D10%26ps%3D63

i know i said projectors look strange on hondas but those dont seem TOO bad

i really wanted hid's for brighter driving which would mean projector.. but the crystal ones are nice.. and the crystal corners i have now look great with the paint

i like the crystal ones i got.. i liked my corners so i just went the whole way this time

also ordered new bulbs today

and a new filter

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

saw a car they sponsored at the track a few months ago.. when ahead and ordered a filter.. mine has about had it so i needed a new one anyway

Archived