External Engine Upgrades for b18c1

Im thinking of leaving the motor stock, and still putting a turbo on it, no need to build it up if im not going to go all the way with it. its not my intentions for this car. But I do have a few questions about the car. Some things that stand out to me. Maybe different ppl can knock out some of these...would be a big help!! =)

1)How many pounds of boost will the stock injectors on that b18c be able to support? As far as how many the engine can handle, I think a general rule of thumb is about 8lbs on stockers right?

2)I need a brand recomendation for stiffer front shocks(please dont say skunk2)(jk)commonly used in our cars?

3)Will upgrading the cams make a significant difference on a stock turbo'd civic?

4)If indeed I were to upgrade the cams, would there be a significant improvement upgrading the valves and springs on a turbo'd stocker?(When I say significant, i know itll help, but i mean, is it worth the money)

5)Do these engines respond well to aftermarket pulleys? Which are ideal to change?

6)Last but not least, i played hell trying to decide the correct clutch setup for my dsm, so can someone suggest a few of the ideal clutch setups commonly used in my particular situation?

Thanks so much!!

2. I run tokico hp (blues) on my crx, their noticably stiffer but tolerable on street. Another brand I would recommend are koni.

5. As for the pulleys no personal exp, but my understanding is for street use not worth it, but can be useful in a track only setup.

6. I personally have exedy setup, oe replacement , but exedy makes good product. Have heard good things about action clutches and ACT, I plan on getting an action setup for my track setup.

You really need to do some research on your own however I'm feeling generous.

1) Id never run a turbo on stock injectors without a good tune. Even then I do not recommend it. The gains you will see at 6 (which I'm pretty sure you can pull off on stock injectors) isnt worth a turbo build. I would also make sure you also have a system to alter you ignition timing while in boost. A Tune can do this for you (when I say tune I mean dyno not some guy in a garage with a dell).

Remember also you will need to build your cooling system I recommend an Oil cooler for all turbocharged cars.

2) Personally I think that skunk2 mass produces crap this is just me but a company who makes so many mods for so many different cars cannot be doing real r&d. They wont even agree to do a dyno shootout with the 350z plenum spacer. My friend bought some s2 valves and they bent under normal driving. I Like tokicos personally.

3) Some but doubtful on low boost. They could allow for quicker spooling and more intake however without upgraded injectors and the ability to hold more boost this isnt going to help much. IMHO

4) When you install cams always replace your valvetrain springs retainers the whole deal. If you are upgrading the to bigger valves might as well do some headwork but if you dont plan on upgrading injectors I don't see why you would want to pull the head off and machine it. Seeing as I owned a datsun Ill use the Whille your at it line and suggest if you do pull the head to go ahead an put in a better head gasket it will lower your compression and allow more boost, or in your case safer boost.

5) Crank pulley but if you are running a big system forget it. It will lighten rotational mass on your crank directly. I have no clue how b motors respond to this tho.

6) Call spec clutches they will build you a custom clutch for your setup call and talk to them good group of guys.

Im thinking of leaving the motor stock, and still putting a turbo on it, no need to build it up if im not going to go all the way with it. its not my intentions for this car. But I do have a few questions about the car. Some things that stand out to me. Maybe different ppl can knock out some of these...would be a big help!! =)

1)How many pounds of boost will the stock injectors on that b18c be able to support? As far as how many the engine can handle, I think a general rule of thumb is about 8lbs on stockers right?

2)I need a brand recomendation for stiffer front shocks(please dont say skunk2)(jk)commonly used in our cars?

3)Will upgrading the cams make a significant difference on a stock turbo'd civic?

4)If indeed I were to upgrade the cams, would there be a significant improvement upgrading the valves and springs on a turbo'd stocker?(When I say significant, i know itll help, but i mean, is it worth the money)

5)Do these engines respond well to aftermarket pulleys? Which are ideal to change?

6)Last but not least, i played hell trying to decide the correct clutch setup for my dsm, so can someone suggest a few of the ideal clutch setups commonly used in my particular situation?

Thanks so much!!

Ok, thanks for all of that, and i have done PLENTY of research, and am doing it as we speak, i was just wanting opinions on most of these, sometimes when you research on the net, you get unknown sources...i like to be talking to someone, so i may still ask the question even when I have found various answers...nice to have when making decisions =)

Im teetering on a fence whether or not to build the motor in this honda or not...

i already own a car with a ton of work done, and im about to own an evolution, which will be having a lot of work done to it. this is why im shy of doing much to the civic. i thought if it had a nice turbo kit on a remanufactured b series engine, it would do well enough to be a decent power making car, nothing too wild. i dont intend to max it out, which throws me when i consider whether or not i want to spend the money to build the enigne, if its not gonna be seeing high boost...

but you know, thats the problem. i want the car to be able to handle the turbo kit, but if i build it up which it seems as though i need to do anyways, im building it only to squeeze out a little more power from the turbo to make that worth while...its like a lot of money not to go all the way

so, lets say i rebuild that block so that it might be more suitable for the turbo kit, for my purposes, does the block need to be machined? or Would i get by on a home rebuild?

Honestly you don't NEED to build the bottom end there are lots of people that run reliable turbo setups. With that said it is a great idea and extra insurance. I've seen b18c (gsr) handle over 300whp on stock internals however reliability is definately less than stock but with proper tuning and fuel upgrades can handle daily abuse if the engine is in good condition prior and properly maintained after.

You would probably have it bored and honed next size with new rods and lower comp pistons, would be good to relace all seals.

Also check engine/tuning section for topic labelled Turbo Necessities, lots of great info there.

Thanks so much!!

1)just use DSM injectors and get a damn good tune if youre going to use stock internals for daily

2)screw having a spring shock combo.. tein damper kit FTMFW! tein flex, tein SS, or tein SSP's :thumbsup:

3)cams will make a difference but get cam gears as well, and it depends on which cams and cam gears you get though

6)exedy stage 2 clutch and a fidanza flywheel work well together from what ive heard from friends

if i was you i would just do internals before you boost, then after you get the internals done THEN boost it :thumbsup:

first, make your engine breath better.

Intake, Intake manifold, throttle body, header, exhaust, ect...

my gsr swapped civic ran nicely with a few skunk2 bolt ons.

with a good tune, your internals are fine up to 10psi or so. That would give you some pretty nice gains too.

in my opinion, get all of the bolt ons and then boost it with a t3/t4 tuned to 8lbs of boost. it will be a safe and reliable daily driver with more than enough power for you to have fun with and still have some sort of fuel efficiency.

if you want to see the build i had for my old gsr civic, just look in my profile.

OH, AND THE BEST MOD YOU CAN EVER DO!!!! is an HF shirt on your back. :thumbsup:

Archived