Is PC gaming fading away?

Tonight I was in Wal-Mart and noticed that there computer games are becoming slimmer than ever. I also noticed the trend at Target and Best-Buy as well.

My question to everyone is: Is PC gaming going away, due to sales or do you think it will rebound and conquer again?

I welcome everyones' opinion.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has more to do with the fact that consoles are getting more powerful. PC gaming was always a niche market anyway, but one that was larger due to the discrepancy in sheer processing power against consoles. That's just no longer the case.

The disparity in the power of consoles versus the power of a desktop computer continues. Console games have come a long way in universal appeal. Even though the Wii isn't liked by pure gamers the general family appeal has vaulted consoles up considerably.

The disparity in the power of consoles versus the power of a desktop computer continues. Console games have come a long way in universal appeal. Even though the Wii isn't liked by pure gamers the general family appeal has vaulted consoles up considerably.

Yes, but not like it used to be. Before it was Porsche to Yugo when comparing them. Now it's more like Porsche to slower Porsche.

unless you know what you are doing you have to spends almost a $1k on a computer to get it to play the games that a now $400ish console can now play. a console can virtually do most things a gaming pc can do now. consoles have networking, storage capabilities, you can put movies and stuff on them, as well as the gaming.

unless you know what you are doing you have to spends almost a $1k on a computer to get it to play the games that a now $400ish console can now play

If this is the case for you please tell me where you shop so I can never go there.

You cannot directly compare a console to a PC because a PC is so much more then just a video game device. If the only thing I could do with my computer is play games then the $600 I spent on my new 24" iMac was really a waste. But wait! There's more! I can do my taxes, browse Honda Forums, buy from eBay, edit pedobears onto funny pictures of preteens, add captions to cats, read Order of the Stick, invest in Cedar Fair, work from home and watch pron. Tell me what $400 console can do all of that?

When comparing the two platforms you have to consider the propriety of the console plays a huge role as well. In a console game the developers only have to develop the product to work with one fixed set of hardware. This allows them to program much more efficiently. For a computer the program has to be flexible and able to work with millions of hardware combinations.

Another aspect to consider is licensing. Xbox, Wii and Playstation are all stand-alone companies that can throw their funding into projects and in return receive exclusivity contracts. Certain killer titles only appear on one platform because that platform funded most of the project. Desktop computers can not pull off that feat due to the market being splintered into thousands of companies.

Console gaming grew and evolved to what it is today due to the historical incompetence of the general users to properly set up and operate a true computer system for gaming.

So, console users such as Billy are the super suck.

Console gaming grew and evolved to what it is today due to the historical incompetence of the general users to properly set up and operate a true computer system for gaming.

So, console users such as Billy are the super suck.

this

/thread

i got the motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive from friends and other random computers that i scavenged, the graphics card, power supply, and case i bought from newegg.

I agree, consoles are where they are at today, because of computers. Although computers will have an edge on certain catagories of games, like RTS's (so to speak).

Also todays standards it takes a lot of processing speed and memory for a computer to push a game decent, not to mention pushing beyond the required specs. 10 years ago, it was expensive as hell to put a gaming rig together, in order for it to do, what you wanted it to. Now most people can put one together to meet the min requirements of playing a game for around $500-$600, is that to expensive in my opinion, not really, it is about as much you are going to drop on a 360 and a PS3, when it is all said and done. For a gaming rig with a quad core, a good video card and I would say 8 gigs of ram or better, can run you around a grand or a little over, but keep in mind, you are building a machine that can run multiple progams at once and do other tasks as well.

Also PC's have dominated for years in the multiplayer dept, and still does to this day, with 360, second, followed by PS3.

The one thing that PC's have over consoles are, the ability to upgrade to better specs, which can get expensive over time. But we are seeing this trend in consoles now as well, we can now swap out hard drives for more storage, we are seeing updated consoles come out with quiet processors and fans. We also now have the ability to download updates for games and our systems as well. Consoles have the advantage on PC's as far as gaming goes because we only had to upgrade our console ever 5 years, now I am hearing the lifespan on them, are even longer. Why would I drop $500 more in my computer, to play a game that will be on my 360 or PS3 (if your computer is outdated with specs for one or more games). So we may see them every 10 years, with completely new hardware in them, then every five. But during those ten years, you may see five different consoles they may release with quieter fans and processors and bigger hdds. I think we are seeing the way consoles will be right now, from here on out.

For all your computer needs, please vist newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. (This is a much cheaper way to build a machine)

Great shat guys.

I am going to write an article up about the question, I left and will use some opinions from here as well.

I still welcome all opinions and hope to hear from some computer gamers as well,

i have noticed that more people are buying cheaper computers that will do the basics (internet, word processing, etc) and then spending the money on the console. considering it would take around $1k to build a fairly awesome computer, you could spend $300 on a laptop, and another $300ish on a console, you have enough money left over to buy games and extra controllers or whatever for the console. so considering all of that it is a little cheaper to buy a cheap laptop and console.

i have noticed that more people are buying cheaper computers that will do the basics (internet, word processing, etc) and then spending the money on the console. considering it would take around $1k to build a fairly awesome computer, you could spend $300 on a laptop, and another $300ish on a console, you have enough money left over to buy games and extra controllers or whatever for the console. so considering all of that it is a little cheaper to buy a cheap laptop and console.

I can buy and build reasonable quality gaming computers, both new and used, for $600 every day of the week. Laugh all you want, but my 24" imac cost me $600 and I bought it 6 months old off of eBay. It runs windows XP and so far has played every game I have thrown at it beautifully. I even had enough cash left over that I bought a Wii for something the wife and I could play together on the weekends.

One other thing you have to take into this equation is the display. On my pc the monitor is about two feet from my head. With my 24" display the viewing angle is completely taken up by monitor. Also, the resolution and clarity on a monitor is vastly superior to all but the newest HDTV's. Even 10 year old CRT monitors have a superior picture quality than a TV. You generally sit further away from your television so to achieve a comparable viewing area (in proportion) to a computer monitor you will need a considerably larger HDTV if you do not already own one. That expense alone is enough to put a damper on my desire to own a console. My older 32" crt TV works fine and I do not want to spend the money on a nice 50" LCD (which is what I want) and console titles do not look as nice on the older 640x480 TV's

Some of you guys are either slightly misinformed or your information is dated. Its not that hard to build a very decent gaming PC for about 450-500ish its even easier to achieve this when you keep an eye on Slick Deals if you really want to get into it you can buy lesser hardware that you can hack and overclock to match some of the higher priced hardware. As for PC gaming dieing? I have been hearing this phrase for years and years yet hear we are. Its not going any where. Starcraft 2 will be a huge title to look forward too.

A properly built computer, which is what I was using until 6 months ago or so, will last you a long time. Even now, 6 years after I built it I have only found that the most recent games from the last 6 months that push the graphics envelope do not play well.

The bottom line is you get what you put into it. If you want to go simple and cheap that is what you will get with a computer and the same can be said for a console. A computer can be used for so much more and the system can constantly evolve over time to keep you at whatever gaming/graphics level your budget can afford. A console will only do one thing, games. And even though your console is 3 months old or 3 years old the graphics will not improve. Once the next console comes out your old console turns into a door stop. Computers are no investment either, but while you are cashing your old console in at the pawn shop for $20 all I will need is a $20 memory upgrade to keep me in business for another 2 years.

Yeah, but not all memory upgrades, for computers are $20.00. Prototype does get repetitive after awhile, but overall is a good game. I play both, pc and console gaming, and if I had to choose between the two, I would go console all the way. The only thing that has kept drawing me to play on the computer are rts's and Crysis, because it will never be ported to the current consoles. everything else, I play on 360 and PS3.

well in regards to PC gaming...i dont think its fading, just the mere fact that its mainstream to own a next gen system and the next gen systems tend to be a little more comprable when it comes to price...plus not all the games come out for PC like it does for the nect gens...it takes months at times with particular games.

True.

I remember when pc's use to have hand fulls of exclusives, good games at that, not the cheesy ones. Now you may see one or two a year, if that.

If this is the case for you please tell me where you shop so I can never go there.

You cannot directly compare a console to a PC because a PC is so much more then just a video game device. If the only thing I could do with my computer is play games then the $600 I spent on my new 24" iMac was really a waste. But wait! There's more! I can do my taxes, browse Honda Forums, buy from eBay, edit pedobears onto funny pictures of preteens, add captions to cats, read Order of the Stick, invest in Cedar Fair, work from home and watch pron. Tell me what $400 console can do all of that? PS3

Ps3 has built in web browser.. You can browse any site including pron. You can also use it as a media center like me.. I keep all my downloaded movies on my pc and then I can either wirelessly or wired share them to my ps3 and watch them on my hdtv.. you can also stream pics/music from your pc to ps3.. I'm not saying you don't need a pc, just saying a ps3 will do mutch more than play games.. You can even rent/purchase movies in SD or HD.. I love mine, but i definitely couldn't go without my pc either.. But as far as gaming goes PS3 ftw IMO..

Archived