Radar Detecors

SpeedDemon

on personal experience what radar detector did you find works the best? ive heard great things about the new valentine radar, buy my god thats $400+. i also hear that tint interrupts the signal receptors from the radar making it less effective?

so ok what kind do you guys suggest?

I have a Cobra XRS R8 or something. My 20% tint doesn't affect it.

Pros:

Mounts to upper windshield making it more discreet and fairly hidden

Detects all radar/laser bands and even radar detector detectors (invisible to them).

Comes with a GPS device which knows where traffic light cameras are and can be updated.

Comes with a remote with digital display.

The GPS and remote combine to tell you which direction you're traveling, your coordinates, car battery voltage, and other info.

Alerts you when emergency vehicles are coming by detecting their strobe lights.

Doesn't give too many false alerts

Cons:

Most police hardly ever use their radar guns, and are therefore undetectable.

Doesn't tell you which direction an alert is coming from. Just tells you the type of alert and how close you are.

Costs about as much as a Valentine.

My advice, don't use a radar detector as an excuse to speed because its not foolproof. On the other hand, you can use it as a helper just to keep you more aware of your surroundings. Also, if you're going to get one, you have to get a good one, you can't cheap out, because most of the cheap ones are outdated and give a lot of false alerts. My 2 cents.

I have a Cobra XRS R8 or something. My 20% tint doesn't affect it.

Pros:

Mounts to upper windshield making it more discreet and fairly hidden

Detects all radar/laser bands and even radar detector detectors (invisible to them).

Comes with a GPS device which knows where traffic light cameras are and can be updated.

Comes with a remote with digital display.

The GPS and remote combine to tell you which direction you're traveling, your coordinates, car battery voltage, and other info.

Alerts you when emergency vehicles are coming by detecting their strobe lights.

Doesn't give too many false alerts

Cons:

Most police hardly ever use their radar guns, and are therefore undetectable.

Doesn't tell you which direction an alert is coming from. Just tells you the type of alert and how close you are.

Costs about as much as a Valentine.

My advice, don't use a radar detector as an excuse to speed because its not foolproof. On the other hand, you can use it as a helper just to keep you more aware of your surroundings. Also, if you're going to get one, you have to get a good one, you can't cheap out, because most of the cheap ones are outdated and give a lot of false alerts. My 2 cents.

yeah i dont plan on cheaping out. ive been looking for a few months, i just would like one to see what is coming. and for the occasional day when i am late for work/etc and gotta get zippy

Tint only causes problems if there is metal in the tint.....a lot of tints will use a metallic in the tint to prevent fading...just check with the tint place before having them tinted.

Passport 8500. Great radar with exceptional range. A lot of magazines even rated the range farther than the Valentine One....but...here's some personal experiences.

My dad has had 2 Passport 8500's for probably 5-6 years. After a couple years, one of them started flashing a "service required" message and wouldn't go away until power cycling the radar. Now after 5-6 years, one of them does that quite often and the other one only occasionally. My dad is saving and ordering a valentine one next month and moving the worst of the two 8500's to their delivery van they use for work. My biggest problem is that Passport obviously knew that whatever this problem was would come up at some point.....otherwise they wouldn't have programmed it to say "service required". So, without knowing if it will cost $50 or $200 to get it serviced by passport, he's kind of down a radar detector.

I had a Cobra....top of the line one...whatever model that was as of 2-3 years ago. It was nice, but the voice greeting was annoying (can't turn it off for the greeting....only for the voice alert). Plus I got a lot of laser and emergency vehicle false alarms. For the money (sub-200 where I got it) it was a hard one to beat, but if you can afford the cash, I think the Valentine One is hands down the best. The new Passport 9500 looks nice with the GPS to eliminate common false alarms and tag speed traps, but with my dad's experiences, I'd probably veer toward the Valentine.

Tint only causes problems if there is metal in the tint.....a lot of tints will use a metallic in the tint to prevent fading...just check with the tint place before having them tinted.

Passport 8500. Great radar with exceptional range. A lot of magazines even rated the range farther than the Valentine One....but...here's some personal experiences.

My dad has had 2 Passport 8500's for probably 5-6 years. After a couple years, one of them started flashing a "service required" message and wouldn't go away until power cycling the radar. Now after 5-6 years, one of them does that quite often and the other one only occasionally. My dad is saving and ordering a valentine one next month and moving the worst of the two 8500's to their delivery van they use for work. My biggest problem is that Passport obviously knew that whatever this problem was would come up at some point.....otherwise they wouldn't have programmed it to say "service required". So, without knowing if it will cost $50 or $200 to get it serviced by passport, he's kind of down a radar detector.

I had a Cobra....top of the line one...whatever model that was as of 2-3 years ago. It was nice, but the voice greeting was annoying (can't turn it off for the greeting....only for the voice alert). Plus I got a lot of laser and emergency vehicle false alarms. For the money (sub-200 where I got it) it was a hard one to beat, but if you can afford the cash, I think the Valentine One is hands down the best. The new Passport 9500 looks nice with the GPS to eliminate common false alarms and tag speed traps, but with my dad's experiences, I'd probably veer toward the Valentine.

damn so they make gps ones that actually show were the things are, including speed traps?

damn so they make gps ones that actually show were the things are, including speed traps?

well i think ill start saving for the new valentie.

stupid question though, are these detectors illegal? cause if i get pulled over and they see it is it going to be a problem?

I think it depends on your state. I honestly don't even know if they are legal here, but I literally had a cop search my car and she didn't say anything about it. So either she didn't see it mounted up behind my mirror, or it was perfectly legal.

Radar detectors are legal in most states. The only places I can think of right offhand that are illegal is Va., and Washington DC.

hmm ill do some research on that.

that didnt take long. heres what i found

http://www.1stradardetectors.com/radar-detector-laws.php\

so i may be looking into a radar jammer too...hmmm

No....the new Passport 9500 has GPS built into it....what this does is let you pinpoint common false alarms (like Walmart or something) and tag it as a false alarm. It will pinpoint the exact location of that false alarm you tag and never go off from that Walmart again.

You can also tag it in a spot that you know has cameras or is a speed trap to warn you each time...since it has the GPS, it will know everytime that you are in the same area.

Archived