back from seeing the gsr swapped hatchback

SpeedDemon

well guys(and gals) i just got back from seeing and driving the 92 civic with the b18c1 swap. theres some good, but more bad. upon first appearance the car is clean looking and in need of body work. rear quarters need to be bolted to the rest of the body. the rear bumper is dented and the paint is chipped off. the front bumper is also dented, he ran into a pole in his yard one day, this in turn dented the metal frame behind the bumper. it doesnt causee the car to track left or right or anything. like said in his craigslist ad it has no carpet or rear seats. the driver/passenger doors do not have inner panels, and it will not be able to fit any. there is a gsr dash in it that is loose and wobbles, and so does the guage cluster. the check engine light is on too. the turn signals dont work, but headlights do. the hood is also dented in the front as said in the ad. body has very minimal rust. upon opening the hood it does have the b18c1. has a massive intake. i mean huge. it also has dc sports headers and a full apexi exhaust, which is rather quiet till you get on it. he has also installed aftermarket rear control arms(i think thats what they are). car also has the gsr suspension and brakes, suspension is very stiff. none of the gears grind and the shifts are very very short. clutch is stiff too. so my dad and i took it for a test drive. drove for about 10 minutes around town. ont he way back we got on it a little and all i could say was wow. it was quick, we were to 50 before we knew it. after that i could smell a bit or burnt oil. but ok guys theres the review. i highly doubt i get this car. its just to much for me to do right now, i dont even have a garage. he is asking 2000. so like i said i probably wont get it. if anything ill use the 2000 to get a complete motor swap into my 92 si hatchback....so if anyone knows where i could find a b18c1/c5(i wish a c5) or another similar motor for ~2000 then feel free to pm me. but ok thats what i had to think about the car. what do you guys think?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could buy his car and then just take out the motor.

offer the guy $1200-1500 for that rattletrap.

then once you pull the motor out of his car, donate the shell to charity and get a tax write off so you can get more money back next tax season.

the car has everything in it that you need to swap the motor into your car, it should be pretty straight forward. just take it all out of his piece of crap car and put it in yours.

thats how you get a gsr swap cheap.

If anything do what rick recommended and offer the guy no more than 1500, really I'd say 1200 because you said it was burning oil???

yeah ti smelled like it, the oil is low and needs changed, its black as night. but in his ad he said he wont take less than 2000 for it. because he wouldbe losing money...well you dont ever get what you put into a car....but the thing with swapping motors, i dont have a motor lift or garage, i would have to borrow my uncles garage. and i really dont know what needs to be done to swap it. my dad and i considered it...but ill ask him if he will take less. ill email him later tonight and then ill let you guysknow.

just do what you can to pick up the car.

at the very least you will have a parts car to work with in case something breaks in your car.

if you have a couple jack stands, floor jack, and tools, you can do the swap. motors weigh like 80lbs or so, they arent that heavy, just awkward so have your dad help you when you need to carry it.

Yea all you really need is a couple jack stands, and a motor lift you'll be fine...it really only take about an hour and a half at most

Don't even need a motor lift really, I've carried a Gsr motor from the garage to the back of a truck without the tranny. It's mostly awkward than heavy

yeah but i feel torn. 2000 bucks for a engine, tranny and ecu. i know they run into the 3000 range and up for a new complete set. i think i could eventually manage the swap, would i have to use the axels in the car or could i use the ones in my 92 si? and i would like to swap the brakes into my car also. i just dont like his gsr suspension, its stiff as hell. i know its good to have but this will be a DD so idk at the moment. i want that motor bad. ahh i feel so lost damn it! ok i fi do get it..

-do the swap, engine, tranny, all of it.

-it has a apexi exhaust

-gsr brakes and suspension

all this should run into the 3000 + range easy right?

-the body is damaged, but i can manage with that mixing parts. hes got quite a few parts i can use

-ill need a wiring guide if my haynes manual doesnt have anything listed.

so what it comes down to is im paying 2000 for parts that should cost almost twice as more? am i right on this one?

-Rick--right now, ill see what i can do, that motor is a chance i hate to pass up...right now im considering making a trip to the bank in the morning...hmmm

You have a few things off a little

If the motor is installed and running in his car then you will be using his motor mounts, his axles, his ecu, his wiring harness. You will not need to do any advanced installation or wiring to get it to work right. Just unplug what he has plugged in, slide it over to your car and plug all the same things back together again.

You can swap his exhaust to your car, but leave all of his suspension setup in his old car if you do not like it. After you are all done you can put your motor in his car and sell the hulk for 500-1000 depending on the overall condition when you are finished. Or leave it as a rolling chassis with no motor and sell it for 2-300.

i say dont get it at all.. i just thought about it..

get a b18b1..

b18b1 = lots of torque + vtec head = niiiice :thumbsup:

(lots of torque for a honda engine)

You have a few things off a little

If the motor is installed and running in his car then you will be using his motor mounts, his axles, his ecu, his wiring harness. You will not need to do any advanced installation or wiring to get it to work right. Just unplug what he has plugged in, slide it over to your car and plug all the same things back together again.

You can swap his exhaust to your car, but leave all of his suspension setup in his old car if you do not like it. After you are all done you can put your motor in his car and sell the hulk for 500-1000 depending on the overall condition when you are finished. Or leave it as a rolling chassis with no motor and sell it for 2-300.

ok thats what i thought, i was just making sure. i figured there should be any extra wiring. just plug and play. i just wondered about cruise control but eh lol. i actually just got back from my meeting at work and the kid i work with has a 93 dx sedan(i think thats it) has the 1.5. hes wanting a hatchback so he said he would pay 300-500 for it. no problem for me. the suspension is ok, the only thing i was concerned about was the b18 causing my si suspension to sag. would it be too heavy? or just eh same as the d16?

i say dont get it at all.. i just thought about it..

get a b18b1..

b18b1 = lots of torque + vtec head = niiiice :thumbsup:

(lots of torque for a honda engine)

yeah theres a b18b1 for sale in coumbus, cars in good condition, but i cant get the guy to reply to any of my emails. but right now it looks like ill go ahead and get the car. swap motors/exhaust/tranny yatta yatta. and probably the suspension too. and sell the shell and probably motor too. so i guess ill go with it. thaks for all the info guys, its been really helpful. ill reply back with any info

Weight difference from the d15 to the b18 is in the 100 lbs range (max). Short term it shouldn't present a problem. Car may understeer more then you were used to. If/when you do any suspension work you can get slightly stiffer then normal springs for the front to compensate for the difference.

Weight difference from the d15 to the b18 is in the 100 lbs range (max). Short term it shouldn't present a problem. Car may understeer more then you were used to. If/when you do any suspension work you can get slightly stiffer then normal springs for the front to compensate for the difference.

in that case ill swap the entire suspension in. cant be that hard. ive done the stock replacement on a 89 si. oh and speaking of under/oversteering, i competely spun around on the way home from my meeting. were getting these 40 mph winds and i turned onto the on ramp for highway. little did i know there was a huge pile of gravel across the road...so yeah, i ended up backwards...sucked ass. but the roads were empty so it was all cool

i agree, dont do an lsvtec. too much of a headache, much more work to build one properly than it would be to swap in a gsr and have about the same amount of power.

at least use the front suspension from his car in yours because you dont need the extra strain on your stock suspension from the heavier motor.

i dont see why there would be a problem with cruise control, everything will be plug and play.

if you say he has gsr brakes, then that probly means he did a 5-lug conversion, which costs almost as much as the car he is selling itself.

youre getting parts that more than pay for what youll spend on buying the car.

youre getting one hell of a deal on this car from what it sounds like. you should be all over it like nancy on kegger's face.

I'll go ahead and +1 all previous posts....besides Brian's :thumbsup:

:effyou:

i agree, dont do an lsvtec. too much of a headache, much more work to build one properly than it would be to swap in a gsr and have about the same amount of power.

new issue of project car walks you through how to do an LS vtec the correct way step by step :thumbsup:

if you say he has gsr brakes, then that probly means he did a 5-lug conversion

wait... wut? huh

GSR 5 lug :crazy:

youve been out of the honda game a little too long rick... what GSR are you talking about thats 5 lug?

at least use the front suspension from his car in yours because you dont need the extra strain on your stock suspension from the heavier motor.

i dont see why there would be a problem with cruise control, everything will be plug and play.

if you say he has gsr brakes, then that probly means he did a 5-lug conversion, which costs almost as much as the car he is selling itself.

youre getting parts that more than pay for what youll spend on buying the car.

youre getting one hell of a deal on this car from what it sounds like. you should be all over it like nancy on kegger's face.

well he said he has the grs brakes, they are some big ass calipers too. its a four lug though. yeah im already all over it, he said eh would hold the car for me until i made a final decision in reasonable time

:effyou:

new issue of project car walks you through how to do an LS vtec the correct way step by step :thumbsup:

wait... wut? huh

GSR 5 lug :crazy:

youve been out of the honda game a little too long rick... what GSR are you talking about thats 5 lug?

the result will be a 92 hatchback(my blue one) with an ls swap. tranny, suspension, and brakes. yeppie kai a! muther frackers! AAHAHAHAHHA

- i did notice one thing when we drove the car though, the check engine light was on, could this be from the huge intake? and when we parked the car i noticed some smoke coming from the exhause, like when u leave a cigarette sit in an ashtray. he said the car had sat for a while so i figured it was something random., should this be a looked into? what could it be?

new issue of project car walks you through how to do an LS vtec the correct way step by step :thumbsup

to properly build an lsvtec, it would cost more than it would to just buy this swap.

i have a sticky thread in the Engine tuning section on how to build an lsvtec. click

besides, i dont know if you noticed in demon's earlier posts, but he is going to have a hard enough time just trying to figure out how to do the swap. so lets keep it simple with just a swap instead of completely building a motor that would get him around the same amount of power for almost double the cost.

you havent been here long enough to know about dan's (90integraC1) lsvtec DA. it was a great build, just not done properly/completely and he blew the motor after all of his hard work. it took him months to buy all the parts and then finally get it all put together.

my mistake on the gsr 5 lug. i was thinking about the itr setup for some reason.

the result will be a 92 hatchback(my blue one) with an ls swap. tranny, suspension, and brakes. yeppie kai a! muther frackers! AAHAHAHAHHA

- i did notice one thing when we drove the car though, the check engine light was on, could this be from the huge intake? and when we parked the car i noticed some smoke coming from the exhause, like when u leave a cigarette sit in an ashtray. he said the car had sat for a while so i figured it was something random., should this be a looked into? what could it be?

thought you said the car had a b18c1. thats not an ls swap. thats a gsr swap...

honda motors are notorious for burning oil on occasion. i wouldnt worry too much about the smoking part, he just might have some residue buildup on the exhaust thats smoking from the heat.

if the car sat for awhile, change the oil and put some new gas in it. the check engine light could be something stupid like an o2 sensor. take it to autozone or one of those car parts places and they can tell you what the code is and clear it for you.

to properly build an lsvtec, it would cost more than it would to just buy this swap.

i have a sticky thread in the Engine tuning section on how to build an lsvtec. click

besides, i dont know if you noticed in demon's earlier posts, but he is going to have a hard enough time just trying to figure out how to do the swap. so lets keep it simple with just a swap instead of completely building a motor that would get him around the same amount of power for almost double the cost.

you havent been here long enough to know about dan's (90integraC1) lsvtec DA. it was a great build, just not done properly/completely and he blew the motor after all of his hard work. it took him months to buy all the parts and then finally get it all put together.

my mistake on the gsr 5 lug. i was thinking about the itr setup for some reason.

honda motors are notorious for burning oil on occasion. i wouldnt worry too much about the smoking part, he just might have some residue buildup on the exhaust thats smoking from the heat.

if the car sat for awhile, change the oil and put some new gas in it. the check engine light could be something stupid like an o2 sensor. take it to autozone or one of those car parts places and they can tell you what the code is and clear it for you.

thank you :)

it does have a b18c1, somebody told me that was a ls swap, but ok its a gsr then :) yeah the oil needs changed in it, its black. i called auto zone and advanced, and then napa. they all said it is most likely the bigger intake that is causing the check engine light, it is probably throwing a sensor off. thats an easy fix though.

thanks for the quick replys, well im off to class for the day, ill reply back now and then. later

here are some pics of the motors in some of the cars ive owned.

which one looks like the one in the car youre going to buy.

#1 GSR (b18c1)

P1017254.jpg

#2 JDM GSR (b18c)

Picture016.jpg

#3 older LS motor

notagsr.jpg

#4 newer LS motor

Picture004.jpg

true it costs more but a built up b18b1 has some nice torque.. one of the mods on SS has a built b18b1 with some nice torqueage

yeah i knew about dans lsvtec, my "little brother" used to be on here..

lol yeah i just thought i would give you some sh!t about it :p

here are some pics of the motors in some of the cars ive owned.

which one looks like the one in the car youre going to buy.

#1 GSR (b18c1)

P1017254.jpg

#2 JDM GSR (b18c)

Picture016.jpg

#3 older LS motor

notagsr.jpg

#4 newer LS motor

Picture004.jpg

cool...hows that second motor supposed to do any good if its sitting in the car? were you going to make love to it?

true it costs more but a built up b18b1 has some nice torque.. one of the mods on SS has a built b18b1 with some nice torqueage

yeah i knew about dans lsvtec, my "little brother" used to be on here..

lol yeah i just thought i would give you some sh!t about it :p

any motor built right can have some nice torque. if torque was really your goal, i say shoot for a crvtec build (the crv b20 with a b16/18 head)

cool...hows that second motor supposed to do any good if its sitting in the car? were you going to make love to it?

maybe...

every guy here will probly agree that its nice to play around with a genuine asian now and again.:thumbsup:

any motor built right can have some nice torque. if torque was really your goal, i say shoot for a crvtec build (the crv b20 with a b16/18 head)

maybe...

every guy here will probly agree that its nice to play around with a genuine asian now and again.:thumbsup:

hahahahahahahahahahahaha lol.......eh torque really isnt my goal. i just want a faster stock motor. and i found one. jsut one problem. im trying to build some credit because im planning to move out in a year or so. so i went to the bank to take aloan out for the car. well they want 16.9% for a car loan, my dad must cosign seeing as i dont have a credit card. but thats ok with me, butjust one problem again. the owner of the car must bring the title to the bank along with the car and have it inspected..which it will not pass. turnsignals dont work. no carpet/back seats. dash is terrible. and its got a motor swap....i dont know what the bank will say about that so im at a standstill rightnow. the only other thing i can do is to do a shared loan. were i put the 2000 in my account and they freeze it. they take the monthly payments out of my accout until the 2000 is gone(i guess thats how it works). so it looks like i cant kill 2 birds with one stone...damn

hahahahahahahahahahahaha lol.......eh torque really isnt my goal. i just want a faster stock motor. and i found one. jsut one problem. im trying to build some credit because im planning to move out in a year or so. so i went to the bank to take aloan out for the car. well they want 16.9% for a car loan, my dad must cosign seeing as i dont have a credit card. but thats ok with me, butjust one problem again. the owner of the car must bring the title to the bank along with the car and have it inspected..which it will not pass. turnsignals dont work. no carpet/back seats. dash is terrible. and its got a motor swap....i dont know what the bank will say about that so im at a standstill rightnow. the only other thing i can do is to do a shared loan. were i put the 2000 in my account and they freeze it. they take the monthly payments out of my accout until the 2000 is gone(i guess thats how it works). so it looks like i cant kill 2 birds with one stone...damn

WHy isn't it? HP is nice and all, but if you aren't putting it to the ground it's useless.

Archived