Seized Bolt

Tried changing struts today, but all of the bolts were seized. I've already got $200 worth of loan-a-tool crap from Autozone, but I can't get these damn bolts out.

The last thing I did was put some PB Blaster on there and put the wheels back on. Hopefully that will help by tomorrow. Any other ideas though?

I thought about using a torch but that doesn't seem like a good idea under a car. Especially since I just sprayed a bunch of chemicals all over it.

Tried changing struts today, but all of the bolts were seized. I've already got $200 worth of loan-a-tool crap from Autozone, but I can't get these damn bolts out.

The last thing I did was put some PB Blaster on there and put the wheels back on. Hopefully that will help by tomorrow. Any other ideas though?

I thought about using a torch but that doesn't seem like a good idea under a car. Especially since I just sprayed a bunch of chemicals all over it.

Torch might work but most likely you'll have to cut it out and have a new bushing pressed into the LCA. VERY common problem and the bolt actually get seized to the bushing (basically like welded). Usually you'll end up twisting the head off the bolt before breaking it loose. Easiest fix would be just buy new aftermarket LCA's and remove the lca w/ the old strut then install new strut/lca combo together. Good luck...I went through this with my del sol and since I didn't have the tools necessary to cut it out and press a new bushing....it ended up costing me about $200 to have that done and the rear springs installed.

The bolts attaching the strut to the knuckle.

And this is in the Stratus btw, not the Civic fyi.

How would you go about cutting them?

Oh, I have no idea. Post a picture and you might get more help since most of us aren't too familiar with dodge's.

Are the bolts stripped? I mentioned in another thread about these Craftsmen bolt remover sockets from Sears. They bite into the head of stripped bolts to loosen them.

Deez nuts right hurr

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Basically every single bolt holding the struts in. I just now managed to get all but one of the top mount bolts under the hood, but I fell on my ass every time I got one to move.

The bolts in the pics are still not moving though...

Deez nuts right hurr

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

Basically every single bolt holding the struts in. I just now managed to get all but one of the top mount bolts under the hood, but I fell on my ass every time I got one to move.

The bolts in the pics are still not moving though...

Do you not have an impact gun? Those look like they'd be pretty easy for my 650ft/lb impact gun to break loose.

those don't look that bad i'd keep at it with the pb blaster and find an impact gun. i had a problem getting one of the bolts for my shifter bushings out and i tried tightening it a tad then loosening it and that somehow worked.

I tried just about everything. I soaked that stuff in PB. I hammered it. I tried twisting both ways. I was literally hanging on the breaker bar...etc

I finally got them when my neighbor (decently built guy) helped me. I had to twist the bolt one way while he twisted the nut the other way. Felt like threading was cross-threaded or something but it wasn't. Either way, I'm just gonna get new bolts and nuts.

I bought an impact gun but don't have an air compressor, but we got everything out anyways. Either way, I dont think the impact gun would have done crap. It would have just spun the gun lol.

I tried just about everything. I soaked that stuff in PB. I hammered it. I tried twisting both ways. I was literally hanging on the breaker bar...etc

I finally got them when my neighbor (decently built guy) helped me. I had to twist the bolt one way while he twisted the nut the other way. Felt like threading was cross-threaded or something but it wasn't. Either way, I'm just gonna get new bolts and nuts.

I bought an impact gun but don't have an air compressor, but we got everything out anyways. Either way, I dont think the impact gun would have done crap. It would have just spun the gun lol.

can't you get electric impact guns? and the one i used wouldn't spin beyond its torque rating, so it didn't rip out of my hands, but it would keep hammering at the bolt until it finally got loose enough to twist it off.

Yea, they had an electric one but I figured it wouldn't work. Didn't use the air one either, but hey, I got the crap out and that's all that matters. I'll probably go buy an air compressor on my next day off. And I'm gonna just buy new bolts/nuts to replace those ones to be safe.

BTW, I'm confused @ Velocifero's "girl parts" post.

LOL

It took two fully grown men to pull the crap off. AFTER it had been soaked in PB Blaster overnight. And no. I can guarangoddamtee you that no one here would have been able to do it by themselves. Air gun or not. The point is that the bolt on one side had to be twisted one way and the nut on the other side twisted the opposite way at the same time. Even then, it only came off about one hundredth of a turn at a time.

LOL

It took two fully grown men to pull the crap off. AFTER it had been soaked in PB Blaster overnight. And no. I can guarangoddamtee you that no one here would have been able to do it by themselves. Air gun or not. The point is that the bolt on one side had to be twisted one way and the nut on the other side twisted the opposite way at the same time. Even then, it only came off about one hundredth of a turn at a time.

correct me if my physics is wrong but with one person twisting one way on the other side and another person twisting the other way on the other side you've got double to torque one bolt. bitch musta been stuck good.

when my slave cylinder went out it took my boyfriend holding the slave cylinder and some vice grips and one more guy to get the brake line out of it

both of which are not weak guys.. it was funny

Archived