Is this the sound of a broken timing belt?

msand9898

thanks guys, well I took of valve cover and top half of timing belt cover and it's definitely the timing belt.

Now is this something that can be done in a day by a person that changes his oil, brakes, etc? namely me...

Also are there any specific tools I need to have on hand?

Depends on if you were driving the car when the belt broke. If the vehicle was moving you certainly have more to repair.

As an answer to your other questions, yes a timing belt can be changed by a relative novice. There are a few tricky parts to it that will require powerful air tools an ingenious breaker bar combination or buying/renting the funky little tool to hold the crank pully.. Otherwise it will defeat you

yeah, you better take the head off and check it out. You can get a head from a junk yard for like $100.

Or, before you go to the trouble of taking off the head, do a compression test.

Well guys too me two days to do it but got a Haynes manual and did it all... changed the timing belt, water pump, oil change, adjusted valves and changed plugs while I was at it.

Now I followed every instructions on how to line and set the cam when re-installing new timing belt, gaped plugs.

Car started right up and idled at its normal rpm when cold but smoked really bad from the tail pipe (oil smell).

And when the idle came down to 700rpm the car was shaking alot, so popped the hood and the engine was shaking?

Any thoughts ??

Well guys too me two days to do it but got a Haynes manual and did it all... changed the timing belt, water pump, oil change, adjusted valves and changed plugs while I was at it.

Now I followed every instructions on how to line and set the cam when re-installing new timing belt, gaped plugs.

Car started right up and idled at its normal rpm when cold but smoked really bad from the tail pipe (oil smell).

And when the idle came down to 700rpm the car was shaking alot, so popped the hood and the engine was shaking?

Any thoughts ??

What color was the smoke? White or blueish. Did you every get around to performing a compression test?

Archived