alex37211

Boo for stealing images (I'm assuming that you didn't get permission from the photographer of that car).

No Nate, I didn't get permission. I got on google images. But when it comes down to it, this is a two-location small business in Nashville. I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of small businesses around here (car lots, mobile detailing, etc) use exotics on their cards like lambo's and stuff. I chose something a little more realistic to this car lot. (we actually have one on the lot)

If anything, I think the photographer would be flattered that I chose one of his shots. It's a good pic!

No Nate, I didn't get permission. I got on google images. But when it comes down to it, this is a two-location small business in Nashville. I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of small businesses around here (car lots, mobile detailing, etc) use exotics on their cards like lambo's and stuff. I chose something a little more realistic to this car lot. (we actually have one on the lot)

If anything, I think the photographer would be flattered that I chose one of his shots. It's a good pic!

Really. So, you would have no problem doing a motor swap for somebody without getting paid for your labor and skills? It's no different. A photoghrapher has a lot of money and time tied up in learning to take quality photographs. There is a reason that photostock companies exist.....it's for the people who need to purchase an image for use on a business card. Usually photostock images are cheap even so there's no reason to pirate the image.

To say you think the photographer would be flattered is WAY off. The photographer would hardly be flattered from somebody taking money out of his pocket by using an image without paying for it. Most of us photographers try to supplement or make a living through photography and you stealing an image is taking food out of the mouths of family. This is no different than shoplifting, just harder to get caught.

Okay...now I'm off to search google images and find the photographer and link him to this thread. Can't wait to see if he is "flattered" by your theft

Edit: And I'm sure that you think I'm over-reacting, but the bottom line is that that photographer did a service and you using that photo without paying is stealing his service. The fact that you see no problem in this makes it even worse.

this is total BS. what difference does it make if i use a pic off the net or go snap a pic of my own car? dont bring trouble down on me. I dont need this crap.

You don't understand, I fully agree with Nate. If I found one of my photos being used without my permission, especially being used to promote a service or business, I'd be rightly pissed. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's fair game to use for free, although most people think so.

I think Nate overreacted a little, but he is right.

It is one thing to use pirated or copyrighted images and so on for your personal use. Entirely another thing to use them for business. You are directly profiting from the theft of someone else work. The fines and legal ramifications of using just one pirated image for your business are usually enough to put any small business into bankruptcy. Much cheaper to take your own pics or hire someone.

I'm guessing you used someone's photo and made a businees card and posted it up here?

Just take your own photo Alex. I'm sure you can get a decent one, and besides, if it's for a business card, it will be small anyways, so doesnt have to be high quality. In fact, it should be low quality so you can print them off easier.

Why not just ask somebody if you can use their picture if you find one you like. Tell em it's for a business card and if they can send you a smaller version of it that they wouldn't mind you using.

Why not just ask somebody if you can use their picture if you find one you like. Tell em it's for a business card and if they can send you a smaller version of it that they wouldn't mind you using.

Good idea.

Hey Nate, I really like your EF. Do you think I could use it on a business card? How much would you charge me? Would you accept a portion of my annual profit? :D

Archived