New to tuning... Good mods?

Hey guys I have an 01 honda civic ex coupe, automatic. I was wondering what would be some good mods for starting out? Air intake, exhaust, headers? Also is there a difference between the "generic" air intakes you find on ebay for cheap and the ones from AEM and such? Thanks!

Yes. I/H/E. But it won't do much on a D17. And it won't be nearly as fun as a manual.

You could turbo it if you have more to spend.

And no, there's no real differences in the intakes. The filter is the major difference.

Why is it so bad to have an automatic?

Cause you can't shift duh. :p

Plus they are inherently slower. They weigh a bit more, they are more prone to failure. They only have 4 gears so the gears are longer and hamper acceleration. Plus you get worse gas mileage.

Stan, did you just recently buy the car or have you had it for awhile? If you just recently got it, then you could probably turn around and sell it and find a manual. If you're already attatched to the car though, I'd recommend intake and exhaust. For the exhaust, find a local shop that can make you a custom cat-back between 2 and 2-1/2".

Stan, did you just recently buy the car or have you had it for awhile? If you just recently got it, then you could probably turn around and sell it and find a manual. If you're already attatched to the car though, I'd recommend intake and exhaust. For the exhaust, find a local shop that can make you a custom cat-back between 2 and 2-1/2".

In Bulgarian, that's like 60mm. lol :p

I've had it for a few years. I don't want to get rid of it at all. I love it! I just want to make it look better and possibly perform a little better. My friend was telling me about a shop that did a custom exhaust for him on his 04' Mustang and it's okay but they charged him around $700. That's a bit steep. I believe that he could have done better by buying a better exhaust system and putting it on himself.

What would be the difference between the full exhaust systems that you find on ebay for cheaper than the ones from Greddy and Skunk2 that cost $500+?

The mustang exhaust would be more expensive because he would have been running duals. His setup requires two mufflers and a lot more pipe. You should be able to get a custom setup with a muffler for under 500, maybe even under 400.

Completely skip the cheap ones on eBay. If you spend less than $400 on a kit exhaust you will hate yourself at every stoplight. Would be cheaper and easier to cut off your muffler because that is what it will sound like.

Where would I go to get a custom exhaust? Does anyone know of any good places in Minnesota?

any exhaust shop really. its just bending some piping and bolting on a muffler

Would custom exhaust perform or sound as good as a greddy or skunk2?

Depends on what you use. As long as it's manderal bent and the same piping size as those with a good resonator and muffler, it should sound and perform just as well. I'd suggest Vibrant resonator and vibrant flat black muffler.

Depends on what you use. As long as it's manderal bent and the same piping size as those with a good resonator and muffler, it should sound and perform just as well. I'd suggest Vibrant resonator and vibrant flat black muffler.

Which would me more efficient and cheaper? Also what size resonator would I need? I was looking at the bottle style ones and the quiet ones. And for the muffler which would sound better the TPV or the Streetpower? Sorry for the noob in me :(

Also what do you guys think of this: http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=Exha...0606+4294965187

which exhaust are you asking about? theres a few on there

The flowmaster one. I just don't want it to sound gay since I have an automatic and I am not getting rid of this car...

it being an automatic wont make it sound gay, you'll just feel gay driving it :)

if you search youtube theres a bunch of sound clips of del sols with flowmaster exhausts. check them out

Archived