ZC swap

DelSolSweetie

motor in --> and running!

The motors are not exactly the same like i was told. There wasnt anything big that caused any problems. Motor bolted up perfectly. Everything plugged up perfectly except theres one more plug on the Z6 manifold that the ZC doesnt have. Cranked right up :)

Only ran into a few problems:

1) my tranny mount was broke.. not the mount to the tranny but the one that bolts on the chassis and has holds a plate that braces the tranny.. had to order a new one from honda and it'll be here monday

2) the ZC throttle body didnt have a TPS so we took the throttle body off of the z6 thinking it would work.. it worked for a few minutes and then it wouldnt go over 2k rpms. Took the map off of the zc TB and put it on the z6 tb and it started running better but we had to idle it up because it likes to die and at 1500 rpm it sounds like its gettin way to much air.. good at every other rpm though. Talked to a few people and we are just going to get a new TPS(the company i got the motor out is sending one today since it didnt have one on the motor) and puttin that on the zc with the right map and we are thinking that is going to clear everything up.

3) All the codes were Map, tps, Iac, vtec. Thinking the zc throttle body will clear up the first three.. if not we will figure it out. the vtec is because the motor was sent without a vtec solenoid so i had to use my old one(which only worked like half the time). The company apologized for that too and are sending a new one out.

but besides those couple things the car pulls a lot better(i wasnt driving hard since i didnt have that extra brace but i had to take it home). Oh and i get to get a chipped ecu. One of my brother in laws friends does it and he said he'll do mine so that might help it out a bit more :)

but i like my motor. :D And if anyone does order a motor i would look at japan star motor. I know they sent me mine without the tps or the vtec but they apoligized and are sending new ones out. Comes with a 3 month warranty and free shipping. And i know two other people who got motors from them and they are both running great with no problems.

but i like my motor. :D And if anyone does order a motor i would look at japan star motor. I know they sent me mine without the tps or the vtec but they apoligized and are sending new ones out. Comes with a 3 month warranty and free shipping. And i know two other people who got motors from them and they are both running great with no problems.

Whats the price? Was yours an obd0 or obd1? They made the zc in both varieties but the 0 was much more common. I think HMO has a zc longblock around $750 or so plus shipping. After shipping to me it should run around a grand and if your place is similar or better I will call them and talk to them as well. If you want, PM me the name you bought it under and I would tell them you referred me and maybe they might kick something back to you if I purchase.

you can buy my z6 but it needs rings and stuff but ill get pics of the new motor :)

they have it listed as 799.99 but they gave it to me for 750 and free shipping :).. the site is: http://japanesestarmotor.com/

ill pm you the name we got it under.. cause my bf actually bought it for me until i pay him back.. but i think it was an obd1 because they told me the p28 will work with it.. and everything plugged up fine except that random extra plug that isnt on the zc manifold(my brother in law said it was just emissons stuff)

but i have the sohc vtec zc and everyone i talk to is like 'you have a vtec zc.. they make those!?' so idk.. i talked to h motors and they wanted 850 shipped for a d16A and they only have a start up warranty

i was looking at the site and noticed the wiring harness is cut every where. http://japanesestarmotor.com/engine_details.php?EngineID=18 , but it appears to come with everything else needed for a swap. what else would i need a computer for that motor ? and the back half of the wiring harness?

well with some b swaps i think you can use your harness.. or like they make something that makes stuff plug up.. idk about b swaps except i know someone just did a b20 in a civic or something and everything plugged up

shouldnt be too hard to find a harness or anything for a b swap because so many people do them

i think the big thing would be between if you wanted a vtec motor since yours isnt.. one of my friends had to go through that with his accord.. just do some research on b swaps.. theres plenty of info on them

shouldnt be too hard to find a harness or anything for a b swap because so many people do them

yeah i deff want a vtec. i mean an extra cam is nothing without the vtec, right? sorry for not being more specific

Because everyone that knows ZC is familiar with the DOHC which was non-vtec. Since it was SOHC most people never bothered to learn they existed.

Most of them did not. As far as I know the ZC sohc non-vtec was the base engine for commuter hondas in jdm land. there would be a considerable number of them out there.

okay so the car lopes at 1500 rpms... runs fine through all of the rpms except 1500 it lopes

w t f

it quit cuttin off on me though.. now just lopes right there

oh and did find out my 2 piece header blew out another exhaust gasket

Possible. I have had exhaust manifold gaskets blow out only on cylinder 1 and it caused the engine to buck so hard I eventually torqued a motor mount.

okay so it was throwing the 4 codes.. now its only throwing the IAC code

the iac that was on the zc was extremely clogged so we cleaned it out real quick and the car started running great for like 15 min then went back to throwin the code and idleing horribly at 1500.. i woke up this morning and put the clean iac from the z6 on the zc and hooked everything up and when i cranked it up it still did it.. i took off the negative battery cable to see if its just cause i didnt reset it but if that doesnt work WTF!?

the z6 ran great and never threw any codes so i know that IAC is good

right no one tried answering that question i had.. good thing i figured it out :)

then my slave cylinder went pop.. but thats replaced now.. and i have pictures now! (engine bay -> dirty deal with it :) )

old motor

DSCF1124.jpg

new motor

DSCF1125.jpg

no motor

DSCF1127.jpg

new motor! (it wasnt all the way done but close)

DSCF1131.jpg

I see Samba in the engine bay, but not anywhere else, and that makes me sad...

Anyway, hope all the problems are now fixed and it runs strong for a good long while.

when i bought it it was like 2 different colors.. but mainly primer white... so i got it painted and they were going to paint the engine bay black since under the hood is black and so just in case i did another color change i could get it to match but we never got around to it

and then we were going to paint it while the motor was out but i was more concerned about gettin the new one in and running :)

this was the problem:

on the z6 mani there is an extra sensor(i think just vacuum) that has a circle plug.. its on the right side back looking at the motor from the front.. the zc doesnt have a place for this sensor. the same type of plug is used for the IAC which is right next to it. When wiring the motor back up they left the IAC plug unplugged and plugged the one for the sensor in the IAC instead. So after a cleaning the zc iac.. then cleaning the z6 iac and swapping them and tryin to plug the other sensor up and the check engine light always coming back on after anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour later i got to thinking about it and was like 'i wonder if i plug this here and leave this one unplugged(the vacuum one unplugged) what will happen.. guess what.. RUNS GREAT!!!!?!?!?!?!? but anyhoo my IAC is super crazy clean lol and i cant blame them too much speaking both plugs are like RIGHT by eachother.. and the same color.. but i fixed it :)

oh yah it was great until i was leaving my sisters and was like 'uh oh clutch is going bye bye maybe i can make it home' i didnt make it home.. i had to pull into a church parking lot and i got out and luckily my bf was like right behind me in his car.. but we popped the hood and im like oh lookey no fluid i have a leak somewhere.. he touched the boot over the slave cylinder and all the fluid poured out.. it was like 'found the leak!'.. so yah got to change that in the dark

but i never found out the exact specs because everyone has a different say.. some say 125 hp and some say 130 hp.. only thing anyone agrees on is it has more torque (and sure does use more gas btw) but we're going to the track wed so i'll see how she runs compared the Z6

someone explain maps to me i have the ps-30 on the car now cause it didnt wanna go over 2k with the 28(? i think it was 28) from the z6

The CEL would have the car running in gimp mode and just be dumping fuel to make sure to not run lean. Running rich causes much less damage so that ends up being the default. I bet with the CEL no longer engaged you pick up 5mpg immediately.

All I know is that the PM7 is the correct ecu for a dohc zc. I have yet to find reliable info on the sohc zc for you.

Archived