whining noise?

BrIaN EG2

im not sure if this is normal for a D15B7 or not but i noticed it while i was racing a 96 eclipse RS last week...

my sol is making a weird whining noise, i talked to ryan and bell about it but theyre not sure so i figured id talk to everyone on HF about it... the noise sounds like the cam, im not too sure i never drove a del sol S until i got mine.. when i floor it and it gets to about 4,000 rpm it starts making a slight whining noise up to 7,500 rpm and by then its pretty loud... i wasnt sure if the car had an aftermarket cam or if it was something else that could be wrong with the car...

the night i noticed the noise i got beside a eclipse and went from 3rd to 2nd and kind of heard a whining noise but didnt pay much attention to it, after i got up to about 7,300rpm about to go into 3rd it was pretty loud i didnt think much of it though. probally because i was starting to pull on him at the end of 3rd.. the next day i went out to drive around and listen to it with my friend and he said he never heard that in a S before... so i was wondering if my car could possibly have an aftermarket cam or is it something wrong with the car? all info is greatly appreciated, thanks :p

umm someone told me mine had a little whine to it and they said it sounded like my tranny or my intake..

so idk

i would think it might be tranny

or could be because your racing a s model with 102 hp at the crank (unless it has some serious work done to it) and that it redlines at like 6800...

unless im missing something and the car has a bunch of work done to it and stuff adjusted.. i hope you dont blow it up

6800? the redline starts at 7000 if im not mistaken... and the revlimiter bounced on mine at 7,500 when i was racing that eclipse... i dont know, i was told the car is fully stock and never modded, was only used for daily commuting and it was owned by a older guy...

i just looked it up cause i wasnt sure and the couple things i saw said 6800.. but even if its 7k.. its not going to make much power at 7500 anyway so theres no point in taking it up that far

hittin rev limiter does not mean you make the car run faster.. most of the time when you can shift when the power stops you'll run better

i actually know a guy with an s model and he beats the hell outta it and can actually beat an okay number of people with the slower cars because he knows exactly where to shift to get the best time outta it.. of course he just broke his tranny and had to put a new one in it yesterday because of how he drives it

but i dont think you have a cam

I second the reason being that you are racing a fuel economy 102hp car and if you started pulling on him, then he needs to learn how to drive. D15b7 del sol's are like 17-18 second 1/4 mile cars.

Swap in a D16z6 and shorter geared tranny and see if it goes away....lol. Seriously though, usually a whine is related to the tranny as Sarah mentioned. Does the whine sound similar to your car when it's in reverse. My guess is that something in your tranny is trying to say bye, bye to you.

i just looked it up cause i wasnt sure and the couple things i saw said 6800.. but even if its 7k.. its not going to make much power at 7500 anyway so theres no point in taking it up that far

hittin rev limiter does not mean you make the car run faster.. most of the time when you can shift when the power stops you'll run better

i actually know a guy with an s model and he beats the hell outta it and can actually beat an okay number of people with the slower cars because he knows exactly where to shift to get the best time outta it.. of course he just broke his tranny and had to put a new one in it yesterday because of how he drives it

but i dont think you have a cam

i know about the powerband and pushing it to the revlimiter does not make more power, it actually makes you lose power, but that was the first time i actually pushed the car and i wanted to see when the revlimiter would kick in...

I second the reason being that you are racing a fuel economy 102hp car and if you started pulling on him, then he needs to learn how to drive. D15b7 del sol's are like 17-18 second 1/4 mile cars.

Swap in a D16z6 and shorter geared tranny and see if it goes away....lol. Seriously though, usually a whine is related to the tranny as Sarah mentioned. Does the whine sound similar to your car when it's in reverse. My guess is that something in your tranny is trying to say bye, bye to you.

and it couldnt be the tranny because it whines when its sitting still and i pop the hood and rev it up...

and yeah it makes that usual manual whining noise when i back up in reverse :p lol

you need a haynes manual i think

it could still be your tranny i think

i still say no cam and you need to learn to drive your car.. and i think the s models are more a 18 second car haha.. cause an si should be a 16.8 stock and the s is super way slower :laugh:

oh but anyway i just checked the awesome manual i got yesterday and guess what..

"noisy in neutral with engine running: a) damager input gear bearing or b) damaged clutch release bearing"

"noisy in one gear: a) mesh gears b)synchronizers c) bent reverse fork etc"

"noisy in all gears: insufficient lubricant b) bearings c) input/output gear shaft"

but you can think its a cam if yah want.. but you might wanna check the tranny before you get happy :thumbsup:

oh nah im not doin that, im already back in iraq.. so the car is out my grandparents in their garage.. well after the new clutch and flywheel gets put in.. plus the d15 isnt staying in very much longer :p

you cut out before i could tell you that the person i was talking to said that for some reason his was doing that when the only mod he had done was an intake also ( at the time) pm me and ill send you his AIM name.

Mine sounds a lot lastresort's does. When I get on it and wind it up past 5k it sounds like a SC is in there. If I drive like a normal commuter there is zero noise though. I never worried about it much in my case as I am just waiting till the engine/trans blows and will be swapping it anyway. It's been this way the whole time I have owned the car: 2 years and 6000 miles.

Did you try to track it down when you had the hood popped? (e.g. does it sound like it's coming from the intake, exhaust, head, block, etc.)

You could have a bearing going out on a pulley possibly, or hell even your crank. I'd try to pinpoint more of the area it's coming from first before taking any of the large variety of ideas being thrown out there.

You could have a bearing going out on a pulley possibly, or hell even your crank. I'd try to pinpoint more of the area it's coming from first before taking any of the large variety of ideas being thrown out there.

only thing thats really been said is something with the tranny.. not a variety at all

its not a trans whine, my impala has tranny whine and it sounds nothing like the sol. my old trucks tranny went out and it sounded like the impala but nothing like the sol, so i say again. it is not the transmission in the del sol thats going out :sleep2:

when i get back home again ill pop the hood again and listen for the whine around the block, head, and the belt

...tranny or my intake...
...damaged clutch release bearing...
...my timing belt it had the slight tone/whine...

I count four different and very separate suggestions so far. I just think it better to get a general area of the problem figured out before tearing crap apart.

i said someone told me it was my intake or tranny.. not that it WAS the intake.. but w/e

hes gettin a new clutch anyway but my belts have never 'whined' of course what he thinks is a whine could be a squeal or something to someone else.. guess its kinda hard to explain a sound of the internet

maybe you should just take it to a shop? or have your mom take it

I count four different and very separate suggestions so far. I just think it better to get a general area of the problem figured out before tearing crap apart.

+1

i said someone told me it was my intake or tranny.. not that it WAS the intake.. but w/e

hes gettin a new clutch anyway but my belts have never 'whined' of course what he thinks is a whine could be a squeal or something to someone else.. guess its kinda hard to explain a sound of the internet

maybe you should just take it to a shop? or have your mom take it

its getting taken to the shop on a flat bed on the first for the new clutch and flywheel and its getting a full lookover while its there, the shops owned by a friend of the family.. no worries here, my sol's in good hands

Archived