i dont know what is wrong wit my turbo kit

acintegra01

hey whats up guys i need some help i put this kit on my car about a year and half ago it came with a boost controller that only let me boost it to 11 psi but now i got a new greddy profect and i can boost it to whatever. so i set it to 17 psi but it only goes up to about 15 once it starts to reachs redline its like the turbo just stops and the engine is workin its weird it gets real loud i dont know what it is i was thinking maybe my blow by but im totally lost on it i have a bad seal on the turbo and just ordered a rebuild kit i dont think thats the problem but it will help definetly also my blow off valve only blows out a whistle when i have a load on it drivin not when im sittin there reving it up i dont know what is up with that if you guys could help me out or have any input please email me at millerlite2141@yahoo.com thanks

Your blow off valve only whistles under load because that's when you are making boost. Blow off valve doesn't blow off if their is no boost pressure. There is no boost pressure (or very little) when you just sit there and rev like a ricer.

Is this a built motor or stock block? If it's built, what is it built with. Oh yeah, and I'm with Kegger, it sounds like you need a tune.

Your blow off valve only whistles under load because that's when you are making boost. Blow off valve doesn't blow off if their is no boost pressure. There is no boost pressure (or very little) when you just sit there and rev like a ricer.

Is this a built motor or stock block? If it's built, what is it built with. Oh yeah, and I'm with Kegger, it sounds like you need a tune.

its a built motor wit lower compression pistons thats it pretty much cuz of the boost of the turbo so no not really built that is all i got done to the motor and what do you mean by gettin it tuned take it to a dyno, get a chip?

its a built motor wit lower compression pistons thats it pretty much cuz of the boost of the turbo so no not really built that is all i got done to the motor and what do you mean by gettin it tuned take it to a dyno, get a chip?

you just bolted your turbo on and drove it?

i put lower compression pistons in and a hp fuel pump but other than that yeah just slaped the kit on

idk if you damaged anything, i hope not.

but you need to take it to a shop that tunes ECUs and have it professionally tuned.

You need to go get a tune. Take it to a shop with a dyno that knows wtf they are doing.

thanks man

idk if you damaged anything, i hope not.

but you need to take it to a shop that tunes ECUs and have it professionally tuned.

cool thanks for the advice man

holy crap people on here are nuts.

If your having blow by, then your ruining your entire engine.

For 17 psi please tell me you have pistons and rods.

you may not be able to get over 17 psi if your EBC is not tuned correctly. If the gain is too low it wont boost very high.

near redline when your turbo "stops working" it may be the boost controller lowering your PSI due to too high of gain, or it could be a POS turbo.

holy crap people on here are nuts.

If your having blow by, then your ruining your entire engine.

For 17 psi please tell me you have pistons and rods.

you may not be able to get over 17 psi if your EBC is not tuned correctly. If the gain is too low it wont boost very high.

near redline when your turbo "stops working" it may be the boost controller lowering your PSI due to too high of gain, or it could be a POS turbo.

yeah i got pistons in it but the rods are stocked what does gain have to do with that im confused on that what should i have it set at cuz i believe mine is set at 15 percent but i set my boost controller at a high boost of 21 and it did the same thing at the same psi as like i had it on my low boost i know i got a bad seal on my turbo i just got a rebuild kit and ill rebuild it next week but i dont think that is it yeah its got a little lag from the oil in the turbo but i dont think it would do that but im lost on where to set my gain on my boost controller

yeah i got pistons in it but the rods are stocked what does gain have to do with that im confused on that what should i have it set at cuz i believe mine is set at 15 percent but i set my boost controller at a high boost of 21 and it did the same thing at the same psi as like i had it on my low boost i know i got a bad seal on my turbo i just got a rebuild kit and ill rebuild it next week but i dont think that is it yeah its got a little lag from the oil in the turbo but i dont think it would do that but im lost on where to set my gain on my boost controller

First off, use proper english. Use periods and paragraphs. It takes way way too much effort to read through your clutter.

what pistons do you have?

Why in the world would you upgrade your pistons but not change your rods?

Gain controls how your boost controller reacts to the pressure input, so adjusting it can make it actuate the wastegate earlier or later, each with drawbacks.

What boost controller do you have?

What turbo do you have?

What do you mean by 15%? That does not make any sense unless you mean the dial is turned 15% of the way.

First off, use proper english. Use periods and paragraphs. It takes way way too much effort to read through your clutter.

i'd have to agree with this...it is why i didnt respond to this thread in the first place, since i had no idea what you were trying to say.

what pistons do you have?

Why in the world would you upgrade your pistons but not change your rods?

Gain controls how your boost controller reacts to the pressure input, so adjusting it can make it actuate the wastegate earlier or later, each with drawbacks.

What boost controller do you have?

What turbo do you have?

What do you mean by 15%? That does not make any sense unless you mean the dial is turned 15% of the way.

I have je pistons 7.87 to 1 compression (stock is 9 to 1) in a b18b1 motor. I didnt put rods in because I was told and assumed the stocks ones would be fine, I dont want crazy amount of boost, 20 psi is plenty enough for me. I'm still lost on the gain i have no clue where to set that at. The boost controller i have is a greddy profect b series 2, the turbo is a turbonetics t3 t4. and sorry for my slang im not in high school anymore so no need for me to type like that unless it really helps you out

I have je pistons 7.87 to 1 compression (stock is 9 to 1) in a b18b1 motor. I didnt put rods in because I was told and assumed the stocks ones would be fine, I dont want crazy amount of boost, 20 psi is plenty enough for me. I'm still lost on the gain i have no clue where to set that at. The boost controller i have is a greddy profect b series 2, the turbo is a turbonetics t3 t4. and sorry for my slang im not in high school anymore so no need for me to type like that unless it really helps you out

wow just curious why you went with that CR piston? Its VERY low, and wont help get rid of turbo lag...but besides that which isnt the point here. Usually the normal psi people usually try to shoot for is 6-10 give or a take a few psi, granted that also varies with the turbo you're rocking. 20psi is kinda alot and from your prior description about it cutting out in the top end, it could be out of your turbos effiency range.

wow just curious why you went with that CR piston? Its VERY low, and wont help get rid of turbo lag...but besides that which isnt the point here. Usually the normal psi people usually try to shoot for is 6-10 give or a take a few psi, granted that also varies with the turbo you're rocking. 20psi is kinda alot and from your prior description about it cutting out in the top end, it could be out of your turbos effiency range.

i went with these pistons because i didnt want to risk in blowin my motor or something

7.9 to 1 is ridiculously low. 9-1 is already low enough which is why people boost that motor.

Stock ones are NOT fine. They are the weak link in the motor.

20psi IS a crazy amount of boost, especially on stock rods. What fuel are you on?

That boost controller is probably one of the most complicated ones. Read the manual thoroughly.

That turbo should be able to blow hard all the way to redline... The issue maybe that the turbo is messed up though, meaning more than just blown seals. broken fins, lots of shaft play, stuff like that.

It will help you out by being able to communicate properly.

As to your problem, have you done a boost leak test yet?

yea i competely forgot about boost leaks too...i know that when i had some crapty clamps on my charge pipes. id have a strong pull going then the car would just die as the pipe blew off..instant loss of power.

does anyone else find it kind of hard to believe that someone would spend a couple grand for turbo kit, take the motor apar to put new pistons in, put the motor back together, and install the kit, and not know any of these things?

does anyone else find it kind of hard to believe that someone would spend a couple grand for turbo kit, take the motor apar to put new pistons in, put the motor back together, and install the kit, and not know any of these things?

Yes....I've smelled troll from the first post to be honest.

uh f*ck you buddy sorry my life dont revolve around cars i know enough to build and whatnot im a mechanic been one for a while but im really new to this turbo crap and it confuses me but whatever man thanks for your help appriciate it

yea i competely forgot about boost leaks too...i know that when i had some crapty clamps on my charge pipes. id have a strong pull going then the car would just die as the pipe blew off..instant loss of power.

that makes sense i didnt think about that, but how did you test for a boost leak

Archived