went to LA Autoshow today

went to the autoshow today and just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on some of the newer vehicles they might have had there. here is a list of my impressions and you can focus was sports cars.

first car that pops into my mind was the new evo X and i have to admit i couldn't own one, the seats were too damn small and the seating position felt weird, plus i hate the stupid roller on the side thing that adjusts the seat.

on the other hand the sti was much more comfortable and had a perfect seating position for me. this is one of those cars that looks better on camera to me than in real life.

the honda s2000 feels the same to me as the other models, although they have added and changed some of the controls around, i like how they made it so that i could access almost everything without taking my hands off the wheel. i love how the car feels like it was built around you, everything is right there for you to reach, and there is nothing in the way of driving, it was just a very focused car. the only thing that really bugged me was that the seats are so close to the doors that you can't reach the seat adjustment levers on the side. you have to open the door to make any adjustments.

the zr1 looked beautiful in person but they locked it so no one could get inside. they had a coupld c6's sitting out and i don't fit in those either, i had the seat all the way down on the floor and my head was still above the roll bar.

i'm kinda mixed on the 2010 ford mustang. the changes are minor but they messed with the front and i feel it took away some of it's butchness. the interior changed a little and i actually liked it, a little more retro with bigger gauges and just kind of a manlier feel. i've always felt that the seating position in the newer mustangs has been perfect (for me at least).

they had a porche carrera 4s open (the only open one) and i didn't really feel that is was as good as people make it seem. the seats where really hard and uncomfortable and they didn't hold me in place very well. the interior just didn't grab me like i figured a car like that would.

of course none of the ferrari's or other high end guys would let you near their cars so that killed those areas for me.

they ruined the 2010 mazda rx8 with the new seats they put in. they were so narrow and they pinched my sides when i tried to sit all they way into them. the older rx8 had perfect seats and was mush more comfortable. the mx5 was more comfortable even though it was smaller but my head stuck up about 3 inches over the roll bar.

as you can tell i have issues with being too tall. of all the sports cars i got to sit down in and poke around i would have only bought the mustang, s2000, bmw m3, cadillac cts/sts-v, or audi tt-s coupe because they were the only ones i was comfortable in.

How was the S2K, I only ask as I may consider one for later and being tall and all I was wondering how it was compared to a del sol, as I know I'm a couple inches shy of the roof in the sol and certainly wouldn't want to be that tight in an S2000.

I could see the bitch about adjusting the seats while the door is open but at least it keeps fairly true to that of a sports car.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

How was the S2K, I only ask as I may consider one for later and being tall and all I was wondering how it was compared to a del sol, as I know I'm a couple inches shy of the roof in the sol and certainly wouldn't want to be that tight in an S2000.

I could see the bitch about adjusting the seats while the door is open but at least it keeps fairly true to that of a sports car.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

it was close with the s2000 but i think i was okay. i'm 6'3" ish and 230lbs so the seats where right on the border of being uncomfortable but i think i would be okay for a max of 2 hrs straight of highway driving, but given the purpose of the car and my nature i wouldn't be putting around in the center lane so i could prolly go longer. the only investment i would personally make is a hard top and sound proofing under the hood and hard top. the thing is very solid so you feel vibrations at low rpm (in this car anything below 1.5-2k rpm), like you would if you had solid motor mounts. the soft top also tends to flutter a little in the wind so a hard top is a must for any kind of long trip or cold weather. have you test driven one yet?

it was close with the s2000 but i think i was okay. i'm 6'3" ish and 230lbs so the seats where right on the border of being uncomfortable but i think i would be okay for a max of 2 hrs straight of highway driving, but given the purpose of the car and my nature i wouldn't be putting around in the center lane so i could prolly go longer. the only investment i would personally make is a hard top and sound proofing under the hood and hard top. the thing is very solid so you feel vibrations at low rpm (in this car anything below 1.5-2k rpm), like you would if you had solid motor mounts. the soft top also tends to flutter a little in the wind so a hard top is a must for any kind of long trip or cold weather. have you test driven one yet?

Good things to know, yeah I definitely wouldn't use the car as a daily driver. I can't say I have test driven one yet as I'm afraid I'll like it too much. I've heard from a lot of people that drive them that they're a faily tight fit but I think thats understandable seeing that it's a sports car and not a luxury. I would have to agree on the hard-top for long drives but it sure doesn't get close to the convenience of a soft-top.

s2000 - hardtop = ugly

I had no problems with fitment... then again I'm just shy of 5'3". 4 hours of driving was uncomfortable, though.

yeah I'm not a huge fan of the hard-top either as for one your right it is kind of ugly and secondly it takes away from the whole convertible feel as well.

your a short girl :p Must be nice to be able to fit into any car comfortably though.

yeah I'm not a huge fan of the hard-top either as for one your right it is kind of ugly and secondly it takes away from the whole convertible feel as well.

your a short girl :p Must be nice to be able to fit into any car comfortably though.

No, no... minus hardtop is ugly, not plus hardtop. Has to be OEM hardtop though, Mugen is ugly.

No, no... minus hardtop is ugly, not plus hardtop. Has to be OEM hardtop though, Mugen is ugly.

oops, I had to go back and check what you wrote there, my mistake. Yeah that mugen one is especially ugly but I could live with the oem one if I had too but I'd still stick to soft-top. Except for winter, then it has to be stored as it's not a winter car.

Now I got to thinking of when the hard-top goes on, do people just keep the soft-top in the down position or take it out?

**edit for spelling

oops, I had to go back and check what you wrote there, my mistake. Yeah that mugen one is especially ugly but I could live with the oem one if I had too but I'd still stick to soft-top. Except for winter, then it has to be stored as it's not a winter car.

Now I got to thinking of when the hard-top goes on, do people just keep the soft-wood in the down position or take it out?

Soft top is set to the down position, it doesn't get removed unless you really have no intention of ever using it again. The S2000 hardtop isn't quite as easily removed as the Sol's targa. It isn't that it's heavy, it's just so big/awkward that it requires two people to remove it or put it back on. Obviously, there's no where to store it when you remove it (other than in your home/garage), so you'd be screwed if you removed it for an afternoon drive and got caught in the rain if you were to completely remove your soft top.

i took pics with my phone and emailed them to myself but i haven't gotten them yet. they always take a while to go through for some reason. the pictures where of the zr1 and a core truck they had at the entrance.

when i drove the s2000 it was a real rush, considering i had never driven anything like it before. the way the car is set up almost forces you to ficus completely on driving. everything you need is right next to the steering wheel so you can basically change anything from radio to a/c by sticking your pinky out and flipping a toggle switch. the way the seating is makes the car feel like everything is funneled to the steering wheel, dash, and windshield. the car seemed extremely responsive and had a very tight feeling, like you were directly connected to every control. once i got used to the high strung motor and 6spd i found that it was very easy to drive. at the time i had my ford ranger and it felt easier to drive than that just because it felt so responsive. i felt safer in that car too because i was able to control everything so well, it stopped so much harder and the steering was so precise that it was much easier to avoid an obstacle. if i had the car i know i would prolly blow a bunch of money on my first couple tanks of gas because i would never want to get out of it.

oh a quick thing to mention, i know i said this earlier but it does vibrate a lot at low revs. at first i thought there was something wrong and since i ha never driven a car that was so stiff i thought that everything was cheap because it all vibrated at idle. it wasn't that the car was cheap or anything it was just that the stiffness allowed the vibration to resonate through the body panels, primarily where the back of the seat rests agaist the inside of the car. just wanted to give you a heads up about it since this caught me off guard the first time i drove it.

Archived