New addition to the Family

jerrodh

Never had a Gecko, but I have have several snakes, anoles and few chameleons.

Make sure that it cannot get close enough to the heat source that it burns him. Happens sometimes, especially if it was chilly and he climbs under it when hes still cold. He won't have all his feeling, will get too close to the source and the heat lamp can burn him.

The under tank heating pads do not always work really well depending on the material your desk is made of, what kind and how much decor is in the tank and if your place is drafty at all. They heat so slowly that any little whiff blows the heat away. And if you have a metal desk the desk will just soak up most of the heat from the pad.

Good info to know Jason, I got it sitting on a painted wood countertop atm, as for decor and stuff inside its just a thin layer of sand but I might change to paper towels if he has trouble with getting sand caught up in his digestive tract. He's pooping like crazy so atm He's cool. The mealworms are stuck in a feeding dish and the crickets are always standing on the rock home or something so he never has eaten off the sand to my knowledge. We got a temp gauge in there as well at ground level no cheapo either so we can get a pretty accurate reading, just waiting on this new tank so I have room to set up a second home on the cold end, a shedding box, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

A but of a Gecko update.

new007.jpg

new006.jpg

new004.jpg

Little Alex when I had him out the other day. Guys been eating 8 crickets daily. He's not blind either, originally thought he was in one eye but hes not, for some reason he keeps one eye shut sometimes, its totally random and weird but oh well.

Still trying to find a good deal on a cage, or I might buy this one that doubles as a coffee table, pretty friggin sweet but kind of expensive.

just noticed this thread. that little guy is pretty awesome, i've never really been interested in one becasue they always look so boring at pet stores but i guess if you can handle it then that's cool.

i picked up a surviving tadpole left over from one of our developmental biology labs. Xenopus Laevis, aka african claw frog. these things get fat and eat anything that's alive, i can even feed him mice when he gets older.

Archived