Trans/Clutch/Flywheel thoughts.

I find that clutches and flywheels are something I have come in contact with very minimally. I do know that since I have the trans out of the car to start with this is an opportune time to work on these.

By my estimates I have driven something close to 750000 miles cumulative on my manual trans vehicles and have never had a clutch problem :crazy:

So I bought this trans off some local yahoo that is a z6 trans, rebuilt not too long ago by Aamco or something with a OE style clutch that has 2000 or so miles on it. It won't be going into the vehicle for some time yet, probably not until next summer.

This engine and trans setup in this car will never exceed 130/140 HP so I assume the OE clutch will be sufficient.

I only know of a few flywheel brands, and have been reading HT and the general interweb for more info but so far haven't found much reasoning other then opinions as to why I should choose one over the other. ACT, Exedy, CM, Unorthodox, Spec, Aasco, Fidenza and RPS were the brands I find coming up often.

Even though the trans is 'newer' there are somethings I should probably go ahead and look into replacing since I have it sitting on my workbench. What things need to be addressed?

Please tell me your thoughts on these things.

Good info.

I had not done much specific brand research yet because I wasn't sure I had discovered all the normal brands available.

I am on my 3rd Exedy clutch and I have had zero problems with all 3! :thumbsup:

im on my second exedy oem replacement clutch and havent had a problem with it as well personaly think its perfect for daily driving a lightly moded car..i also got the fidanza 7lb flywheel and love it!! i bought it as a set for around 220 from gripforce-clutches on ebay also where i got my previous exedy clutch right now am running the set up in my hatch with a d16z6 and couldnt be happier :thumbsup:

im on my second exedy oem replacement clutch and havent had a problem with it as well personaly think its perfect for daily driving a lightly moded car..i also got the fidanza 7lb flywheel and love it!! i bought it as a set for around 220 from gripforce-clutches on ebay also where i got my previous exedy clutch right now am running the set up in my hatch with a d16z6 and couldnt be happier :thumbsup:

I also bought same kit for my Sol, and liked it too! Also all 3 clutches were through Gripforce! :thumbsup: Very good seller, and fast shipping! :)

Fidanza flywheel. 7.5 pounds. 2 piece so the friction pad can be replaced versus having to get the flywheel machined.

Any reason why this could, or could not, be used with the OE style clutch that I have which is barely broken in? Am I correct in assuming that any flywheel will match up with any clutch provided your engine isn't putting out more power then the clutch can handle?

Archived