what the hell is wrong with my car?!

I'll admit, my car's a total POS, and I don't help it with the fact that I don't really give a damn about it. Anyway, it's been nothing but problems with it for the past year. First there was an issue with the axles, then my engine died, it no longer blows air to the floorboards or the windscreen (somehow got screwed up when they put the new engine in it) and now I have no interior lights- no dash, no overhead, nothing. There's no power going to the ac outlet/lighter & I also don't have any brake or tail lights. it's nearly impossible to get it in and out of park.

I figured it was just a blown fuse, but once my dad & I changed out all the fuses that were blown (yeah, there were a lot of them lol) and turned the car back on, they all blew again immediately. I know I've definitely damaged the shifter- I spent over an hour fighting with it & eventually got pissed off and kicked it. haha. but at least it moves now. I really don't think there's any issues with the transmission, which is what Chris' best friend (who's a mechanic) diagnosed it as over the phone, but it's definitely a bigger issue than we originally thought. So, any ideas what it could be?

(oh, btw- it's a '94 toyota corolla if that makes any difference)

this is a new thing- the engine swap was back in november or december last year. I'm pretty sure if that was the cause of it I'd have noticed before now.

as for the shifter... it just locks into park & won't move. (it's an automatic) I know I've more than likely damaged it... after all, it only started moving again [with tremendous force] after I kicked the crap out of it. lol.

the shifter is most likely tied to the electrical issue. waaaaay back when, when my crx was still auto, the shifter locked up when i had a fuse issue. could only get it to budge after unlocking it with the key (until i fixed the problem, obviously).

woohoo. I'm stuck at the Toyota dealership all day today while they fix the blasted thing. and because there's more problems than they were expecting, I might be without a car tomorrow too. fun, fun stuff. I should just part this one out and get a new car- it'd be less hassle than this one! Although, i found a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for $1500 obo. with 203,000 miles on it. Might go look at it later tonight and see what's wrong with it because they're trying to say it's only being sold because they don't drive it anymore but it's still in perfect condition... and why don't they drive it? hm. we'll see.

well its too late now since you sent it in to the dealership but as for the shifter there is a little linkage in there that makes it lock into park, neutral, drive, etc. that you can take out and it will move without you having to push in your button (not safe but would have fix it until you took it in eventually)

and the dealership should have given you a "rental" car to drive for free until they finished your car, at least thats what my moms old work did, they gave me a free car of choice to take out for a week (i chose G6 sport coupe, slide back roof :devil: ) because i got in a hit and run and it was in the bodyshop. the only thing you should have to do it make sure its filled up and thats it, what dealership did you go to?

it's more than just the shifter that has problems. I've managed to get the shifter to work a bit.. enough that I can at least drive it. I have no brake lights, no tail lights, no interior lights, no dash lights, nothing. just headlights & reverse lights. the shifter issue is likely to be related to the brake lights & electronic systems. I got pulled yesterday by a cop who was nice enough to just let me know about my brake lights & gave me a verbal warning so it needs to be done asap.

We took it to one of the major local toyota dealerships (fred anderson if you want to look it up) They don't provide rental cars but they provide a bus service that'll take you to wherever & pick you up from wherever but it's a hassle to use. I eventually got my dad to take off work early for lunch, pick us up and bring us back to the house. It's an out of the way situation but eh... there's no guarantee that they'll even have the car fixed by tonight. When we stopped by after lunch (1pm) they hadn't even looked at it yet, let alone diagnosed & started working the problems.

I hope it gets fixed fast... :)

About the shifter, did you try to put your foot on the brake and try the shifter? or brake a few times and then try to shift?

This happened to my friend's car (automatic) and I only got it to shift by doing the brake thing...

yeah, my shifter doesn't move unless your foot is on the brake- it's some safety feature, but i never even start the car without my foot on the brake anyway. apparently it was an electrical issue & my car will be ready around 6pm. I just hope they got it all fixed correctly!! I don't think I can deal with it if anything else goes wrong any time soon. lol.

there's a good chance chris might be getting a tacoma soon too, which will make things easier- we won't have to use my car *constantly* anymore, and if we get a loan in his mom's company name (she'll get a deduction in taxes as she can then write it off as a business expense) & pay it off through deductions from his paycheck we might be able to get me a scion tc instead & not have to deal with this stupid corolla anymore.

yeah...um... i think i would get rid of my early 90's toyota... mainly becaue, in your case, its become a pain in the a*s. (your the first person i have even know to have anything other than minor stuff go wrong with their toyos....)

lol. I'm not the only one. Almost everyone I know who's had an older toyota has ended up hating it eventually. I got the car back last night. turns out the contacts for the brake lights had soldered together & that was causing most of the issues as far as the circuits & shifter. I've gotta go back in this afternoon- I still don't have any lights in my dash. The lights for the gauges work & the dome light, but the rest of the interior lights still aren't coming on.

Archived